Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Yuba WTH???
Does anyone have an idea why they the water managers at Yuba are not filling that little hole up like many of the other reservoirs are? According to the website it is only at 40%
[signature]
It might have something to do with the UDWR plans to use rotenone. Less water, less rotenone.

[red]⫸[/red][orange]<{[/orange][yellow]{{[/yellow][green]{{[/green][size 4][blue]⦇[/blue][/size][blue]°[/blue][#8000FF]>[/#8000FF]
[signature]
Really, when did they make that decision? It didn't work last time I wonder what's changed[:/], what makes them think it will work this time. [crazy]
[signature]
What? Kill off Yuba?
[signature]
Water users down stream mostly millard county dictate levels in sevier bridge.
Plan on lower levels as the summer progresses.

It shouldn't take much to kill that body of water, populations of multiple species are severely struggling.
[signature]
Hwll as low as I saw it last fall it will not take much at all as there will not be enough water in that pond to fill a 5 gallon bucket. I would thing all those water users would capitalize on getting the old storage tank filled back up.
[signature]
[quote wiperhunter2]

Really, when did they make that decision? It didn't work last time I wonder what's changed[:/], that makes them think it will work this time. [crazy]

[/quote]

I gather if you had your way that rotenone would never be used. When they treat with rotenone it is frequently done with the expectation that the treatment will not last forever. That said, the biologists are getting much better at making the treatments last by applying appropriate natural management tools (Strawberry is a great success story.). I don't recall them ever using rotenone on Yuba (I could be wrong, and it wouldn't be the first and definitely not the last time I will be wrong.) I know it was drained a few years ago and work was done on the dam.

[url "http://www.richfieldreaper.com/public_notices/article_2ef209fc-14d6-11e7-be38-2ff4cafdd5f6.html"]Link to treatment plan:[/url]
[signature]
Thanks for the link Kent.

[red]⫸[/red][orange]<{[/orange][yellow]{{[/yellow][green]{{[/green][size 4][blue]⦇[/blue][/size][blue]°[/blue][#8000FF]>[/#8000FF]
[signature]
So when should we expect an open harvest period to start there before they kill it? You would think the limits would be lifted now if they are really going to poison this fall.
[signature]
Not at all Kent but really how many times are they going to do the same thing but magically expect a different result? How many times does it take to get it right? And don't say as many times as it takes. Remember, this all comes from our tax payer $$ and frankly I'm sick of it, and if I'm sick of it, there are plenty other fisher folks out there that feel the same way. I'd like to see them do the same approach as they are doing with Schofield, at least give it a try, so what if it doesn't work, neither has the rotenone. If you are right and it has never been treated before, well it's worth a shot but it seems to me it has been used there before.
[signature]
[quote wiperhunter2]

I'd like to see them do the same approach as they are doing with Schofield, at least give it a try, so what if it doesn't work

[/quote]

How many years have they been trying to use cutthroats and tiger trout to control the chubs at Scofield? Because the approach has been used for many years at Scofield, only to still have a reservoir that is still full of chubs and little else, what is lost is several years that we could have had great fishing at Scofield that we will never get back.

[quote wiperhunter2]

, neither has the rotenone, when it has been proven time and time again to be a failure.

[/quote]

I get your pardon. Rotenone has bought over 10 years of great fishing every time they poisoned Scofield and that is with just replanting with nothing other than rainbows. Poison it again and put the same or similar management plan in place that has been used in Strawberry and see how long it works.

Do you consider Strawberry a failure? It was treated in 1990 and do you still say, "neither has the rotenone, when it has been proven time and time again to be a failure."

You seem to feel that if a rotenone treatment doesn't last forever that it is a failure. I do not agree with this conclusion and as I previously said with the knowledge that they have obtained in the last few years, on how to manage fisheries with a better mix of fish species and slot limits (rather than merely just replanting with rainbows), they can extend and in some cases perhaps even permanently manage a body of water to have quality fishing.

[url "https://wildlife.utah.gov/strawberry/straw2.php"]Strawberry information:[/url]
[signature]
[quote kentofnsl][quote wiperhunter2]

I'd like to see them do the same approach as they are doing with Schofield, at least give it a try, so what if it doesn't work

[/quote]

How many years have they been trying to use cutthroats and tiger trout to control the chubs at Scofield? Because the approach has been used for many years at Scofield, only to still have a reservoir that is still full of chubs and little else, what is lost is several years that we could have had great fishing at Scofield that we will never get back.

[quote wiperhunter2]

, neither has the rotenone, when it has been proven time and time again to be a failure.

[/quote]

Say what? Rotenone has bought over 10 years of great fishing every time they poisoned Scofield and that is with just replanting with nothing other than rainbows. Poison it again and put the same or similar management plan in place that has been used in Strawberry and see how long it works.

Do you consider Strawberry a failure? It was treated in 1990 and do you still say, "neither has the rotenone, when it has been proven time and time again to be a failure."

You seem to feel that if a rotenone treatment doesn't last forever that it is a failure. I do not agree with this conclusion and as I previously said with the knowledge that they have obtained in the last few years, on how to manage fisheries with a better mix of fish species and slot limits (rather than merely just replanting with rainbows), they can extend and in some cases perhaps even permanently manage a body of water to have quality fishing.

[url "https://wildlife.utah.gov/strawberry/straw2.php"]Strawberry information:[/url][/quote]
[signature]
It's possible the cutts and tigers would have worked if they were put in place right after they did the Rotenone, like they did at Strawberry. I'm just tired of them doing the Rotenone time and time again, thats all I'm saying. I think there is a time a place for the Rotenone and IMO it's time to try another approach. The Berry was their first success with Rotenone but I was talking about Yuba and Schofield(SF). It could be because of the lake it's self or maybe they learned what worked at the Berry too lake to do the same thing at SF but either way it is done now and it appears for SF at least they are going a different direction, at least for now. They should try the same approach at Yuba but it's sounds like the decision has already been made for us, so it does little good for us to discuss it any more. Thanks for the link Kent. I'll edit my comment above so it does not sound like I was talking about all lakes where Rotenone was used..
[signature]
It's all good my friend.
[signature]
What I would really like to see them try on Yuba and the Sevier River drainage is the virus that kills carp.
[signature]
Wouldn't it be easier to catch fish at a reservoir that is only 40% full? Seems like the fish should be more concentrated and they don't have anywhere to hide. Am I wrong?
[signature]
Good grief guys, it's the exact same debate we had last week on here. [Wink]

With respect to this plan to treat from Redmond down to Yuba, it is a whole lot more audacious than just treating a single impoundment. Considering there is no "back up" biologic control afterwards, I am considerably more skeptical about a good outcome here than the DWR's other planned and "suggested" rotenone projects.

Maybe I would also prefer to see the rotenone used (ahem) elsewhere. [angelic]

Kent, with respect to the fish virus, did you read what I wrote on the last Yuba thread? It probably bores most guys on here to tears, but you might find it slightly enlightening with regards to the virus.

http://www.bigfishtackle.com/cgi-bin/gfo...2;#1009972
[signature]
I'm with you on the statement being more than skeptical on the outcome of this proposal. I don't understand why they wouldn't harvest the game fish and transport them elsewhere or take all limits off and allow the angler's mass harvest instead of leaving them to be poisened or wasted to rot! Takes over 20 yrs to grow Northern Pike off the caliber that take residence in Yuba but who cares about trophies unless there Trout! This is a complete waste of time and money unless they'll manage the drainage and the water levels properly but if anyone knows it's Utah Fish and Games! [Wink]
[signature]
Sorry Barry, but I hadn't seen your final post on the other thread (I had been following that thread closely, but somehow didn't catch your post).

The virus has already occurred in at least two bodies of water in the Colorado River drainage, so they are a little late in keeping it out of the U.S.:

[url "http://www.azgfd.net/fish/fishing-news/lab-confirms-havasu-carp-died-from-virus/2009/07/13/"]Link[/url]

I am also far more skeptical of the value of poisoning Yuba and the other bodies of water upstream of Yuba, compared to the results that could be obtained by poisoning Scofield Reservoir. The water levels in all of those reservoirs, in the Sevier River drainage, gets drawn down so often that about all that will survive are northern pike and carp, and I have strong doubts that they could come even close to getting a 100% kill of the carp in the river and in all of the upriver bodies of water.
[signature]
You know whats funny about this whole thing, if it was going to happen anyway and I had a say so in this, my vote would have been to use Rotenone on Scofield and the wipers, Tiger musky and walleye in Yuba[shocked].
[signature]