Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Summer time on the Roanoke.
This first week of summer here in NC finds me on the river once again. Water levels have dropped to normal, but quickly rising . [Sad] The powers to be up north are messing with the dam and changing water levels. Lord only knows why, but makes it hard to fish. Headed out locally for some cats and my new honey hole produced 10 small channel cats, but no big ones. As the heat index was below 90 I had to take advantage of it. Friday I'll head for Plymouth and hope to find some pads to bass fish on and hopefully current will be slower. Tough fishing a river when your going 2 1/2 knots over the water. Talk about Vandaming style of fishing. [crazy] But thats why we cat fish on days like that. I had luck on worms as well as stink bait for them. No other fisherman on the water during the week this time of year which is great. As I made my way back to the dock a bald eagle kept pace for a short while. God giving me a salute for a great day?? T dog and myself will try again on Friday before the heat comes back in. Tough for this old northern guy and dog to fish in high heat. Be well all.
[signature]
Nice report Gregg, glad you found some willing fish, even if they were smaller, maybe the next time the big ones will come out to play. How big are small cats in your areas? Hope the bass treat you well on Fri.
[signature]
Small cats are about 12-14" long. One hole I found that gave me bigger ones in the past didn't produce. See how the bass treat me tomorrow. [Wink]
[signature]
Hope you find those bass today Gregg, good luck.
[signature]
Decided to stay local and T Dog and myself hit the Roanoke. As suggested to me I hit waters draining into the river. Started to get hits where they met. Caught two small ones and had one about 20" pick up the senco but spit it out as I reeled in some to set the hook. Swimming to the right which gave me a chance to look at it. Got one sunny on a rattletrap. Seems I've finally found a way to find fish. As most guys do a lot of flipping here I guess I'll set up one rig for that. But it was good to find fish on this river after a year. If heat wave stays away, I'll be out next week again for that large one that got away' LOL[fishon]
[signature]
Glad you are finding some fish, hot weather makes it tough to get out. We usually just go out for the morning bite and get off the water around noon, before it gets too hot. Good luck next week Gregg.
[signature]