Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Bear River Mutual insurance
I have had State Farm insurance for longer than many of you have been alive. I have had no problems with State Farm and I have a great agent, but I have decided it is time to consider other options for less money. Keeping the same or better coverage, I can save $1,084 (annually) by switching to Bear River Mutual. If any of you on here have had any experience with Bear River Mutual please share your experience.
Thank you.
[signature]
I've used Bear River Mutual for home and auto for several decades. Never had any problems with them. Teen daughter got into an minor fender bender. Answered a few questions for their agent and they took care of everything from there. I don't think they insure everything. Had to put the boat and motorcycle on a policy with a different company according to my agent.
[signature]
Thanks, yes I would have to get the boat insured through another carrier. Have you had some claims over the years, other than your teen daughter? If yes, have you been reasonable to deal with?
[signature]
I switched from State Farm to Bear River well over a decade ago. I got much more coverage for less money. Bear River is not for everyone bcause to them it has some negatives: 1. It's only for nondrinkers and 2. You can't get it or they will no longer insure you with a bad driving record or too many (very few) tickets. But, for those of us considered to be low risk, we are rewarded with excellent coverage at much better rates. Why should we pay for insurance companies to have high payouts for those who are a higher risk! Bear River quickly does their job to pay a liability with no troubles like with a lot of other insurance companies. For all of these years with them, I haven't even cared to look to see if there is a better deal, because I strongly suspect there isn't and I'm satisfied. There was zero hassle and no jumping through hoops to instantly get coverage extended to my latest piece of fishing equipment that will take me to any fishing destination regardless of harsh winter driving conditions for ice fishing or cross country and then driving on beaches for surf fishing without it even coming anywhere close to it's capabilities. Had to make this fishing related.
[signature]
That's the exact reason I switched from Allstate to BRM when I retired. I have them for both home owners and Auto and they saved me about the same amount of money that you will save. I just wish I could insure my boat with them[Sad]. Sorry no claims with them but I did have my truck towed recently and there was no problem getting them to pay that fee.
[signature]
Have you priced your insurance with Progressive? I had Nationwide for 13 years, then Liberty Mutual. Both were great and we had 1-2 claims with each place. Nothing unusual. BUT.....I priced Progressive for Home and my 5 vehicles. They smoked everyone and more importantly, had equal or better coverage with the same deductibles. Since switching I've had my daughter total a 2005 Ford Escape and we had one minor accident. We also get at least 3 windshields replaced in full per year with LOTS of windshield repairs in between (gotta love driving Logan Canyon in the winter). Anyway, our rates continue to DROP, even after the totaled SUV. I have not had any claims on my house, but I like that they have replacement coverage instead of just "what they feel its worth". For example, I have a few guns...which exceeded their firearms coverage limits. So, I told them I wanted $XXXX amount of coverage on my guns and they agreed. No extra rider policy, etc. They also insure my boat for the cost that I told them it was worth, not a blue-book value. It cost just a few bucks more for that type of coverage, but is, in my opinion, totally worth the cost since I think my boat, motors, downriggers, and other equipment and electronics were worth WAY more than a blue book value. Oh, never had a claim on my boat, but its there in case I need it. Worth a call to get a price, in my opinion.
[signature]
I ended up going with Progressive for the boat and AAA for my home and autos. I have been a member of AAA for 19 years, which gave me a significant discount on their insurance. I saved well over $1,000. We are going to take the defensive driving course and save an additional $50. We have also signed up to have an instrument placed in our auto (I believe for a year) and if our driving habits pass, not a lot of hard braking or fast accelerations, we will get approximately a 30% discount on our insurance.
[signature]
[quote kentofnsl]... signed up to have an instrument placed in our auto (I believe for a year) and if our driving habits pass, not a lot of hard braking or fast accelerations, we will get approximately a 30% discount on our insurance.[/quote]

Kent,

My driving just Saturday would be way out on all of those parameters including extreme cornering forces, but Bear River gives me great coverage at a rate the others won't match!

A more useful instrument would collect data on distracted driving like texting and use of devices when they should be paying attention to their driving.

About two weeks ago, I looked into the face of a driver crossing out of his lane into me with something about to happen in a split second. But, he neither noticed that nor even saw me because his face was in his cell phone in one hand with a finger of his other hand poking at it.

That instrument would have data logged either hard braking with a swerve or powerful acceleration as it was my choice to glance into my rearview mirror to see him still texting in the middle of two lanes way behind me.

Actuarial statistics take into account many things with proven accuracy, but where we really need to improve safety for all of us is countering distracted driving be it by instrument logging or otherwise.

I recommend Bear River for those who can be rewarded with low rates for a good driving record and being a nondrinker.
[signature]