Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Lake Powell Striper tips
Hey guys im headed up to powell for a week and would like some tips on how to catch striipers and other fish from powell pls comment thanks guys
[signature]
Where on Powell are you headed and are you fishing from a boat or from shore?

If you haven't yet, make sure to check out Waynes Words
http://www.wayneswords.com/
[signature]
Waheap and both i have never been i need tips on what lures and baits to use
[
[signature]
Go get some anchovies at the Walmart in Page and some metallic jig heads about 3/8 oz. Buy a cheap small throw away foam container and put some dry ice in it with the anchovies. Break the anchovies in half and put them on the jig head and toss them along the cliffs on the shady side and let them sink right close to the rock on the cliff.
I have found that the ones that are partially frozen work better and they don't stink up the place nearly as bad as those that sit out in the sun.
[signature]
[url "https://content.govdelivery.com/accounts/UTDWR/bulletins/1b02b90"]https://content.govdelivery.com/accounts/UTDWR/bulletins/1b02b90[/url]

The current state report is a good place to start.
I have never fished Powell before either and am planning to go in October, so started doing some research myself as well. I found that Wayne's Word.com was great info and there are a lot of good videos on YouTube that share great info as well. Hope this will help.
[signature]
A good tip on the anchovies. Go online and find some ProCure, either powder or liquid to brine the anchovies. They will firm up and stay on the hook way better even when thawed. They don't sell it many places in Utah since it is primarily a Saltwater item. I bought some in Alaska and it is great for curing Striper and Cat baits. You just put the anchovies in a Ziplock and pour in some of the ProCure about an hour before you go out.
I used VMC MoonEye jigs last time I fished Wahweap and lost zero fish once hooked. Super sharp and never bent any. Some guys use just a baitholder hook but jigheads are nice to really set the hook in their hard mouths.
If trolling or throwing lures is more to your liking, plan on being on the water well before sun up and you will get good surface action.
[signature]
Will ProCure work on red sided shiners? They get soft real quick. Does the ProCure affect the flavor of the minnow. Trout can be pretty picky about such things?
[signature]
The stuff I like is the Pro Cure Brine N Bite in either powder or Liquid form. It firms up any protein based bait you put on it. It says it has fish attracting amino acids and scents. I have caught flounder, cod, sculpin, halibut, cats, Stripers, Burbot, and bullhead in bait soaked with it. I can't see why a trout wouldn't hit.
[signature]
I'm going to give it a try on some the next time I restock shiners.
[signature]