Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Fish Lake Next Week
Heading down to Fish Lake this coming Thursday and Friday for the first time. I've got pretty much what I need as far as boat, poles, downriggers, and a couple of tackle boxes full of tackle candy. What I don't have is where, what and the how to fish this water. I'd appreciate whatever tips you can through my way.

Also, I haven't looked into what they have to offer in rooms for two nights.
[signature]
It would help if you indicated what you are hoping to catch. I like The Snuggle Inn located in Loa.
[signature]
Definetly Rainbows and would like to try for the Macks.
I'll check on the Snuggle Inn.
[signature]
I was there recently and caught a few of everything.

We were on the steep (eastern?) edge a lot. There are perch just outside the weedline that you can catch on just about any small jighead or lure tipped with worm or perch meat.

Just outside of (and sometimes mixed in with) the perch are small to medium rainbows. You can use spinners, or smallish (1.5" to 2.5") white tubes tipped with perch to catch those. In the past I've trolled 5-15 feet feed deep with a flasher and worm and caught a million small rainbows.

A bit deeper out, around where the steep drop flattens out, there are lots of other fish to target. We caught several larger rainbows, several splake, a brown trout, tiger trout, and even a couple skinny lakers vertically jigging anywhere from 40 to 80 feet down. 1/4 to 1/3 oz spoons and smaller 2-2.5" pearl tubes tipped with perch worked well. Larger lures are easier to get down, but most of the fish in the lake are small so if you want numbers go smaller even though it's a pain to get down to depth.

The bite from deep fish seemed good early in the morning, and then died around 10am, and then seemed to pick up again a few hours later.

If you want big fish, don't as me; I've had lots of luck with everything small, zero luck catching a big splake or laker. I've tried much bigger lures, but that just seems to lead to missed smaller fish.
[signature]
I really appreciate your help. Now I have a starting point to work with.
[signature]
pop gear and worm well get ya all the bow's you could want on most day's 20 to 30 feet deep.. the laker's have been slow from what i have heard need the water to cool off they will start to get more active. dragging stuff deep is about the best game right now.. T16's and K16's big rainbow colored stuff is best..
[signature]
I my be there sept 22nd
let us know where you fished and how you did
it has been 6 years since I was there we had no trouble finding and catching rainbows using stuff I used at Strawberry.
if you have not found a place to stay
look for the first place west of the lake and on the north side it did not cost a lot then.
[signature]
I was there in the Friday 1st and Saturday 2nd of Sept. On Friday I fished on the west side of the lake south of the Fish Lake Lodge. I trolled with my spinning gear using a gold and silver dodger and nightcrawlers. I caught 13 Bows and 1 Splake in about 4 hours. On Saturday I went to the east side and trolled north and south using the same rig and landed 25 Bows and 4 perch. I tried leadcore and 4 colors and didn't get any love. It was a great day with very little wind and scattered clouds. I had a great time.
[signature]