Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
High Uinta lakes
Going on the elk hunt this weekend up high in the Uintas and wondering if anyone knows what to use this time of year to fish up there after I get discouraged about not seeing any elk. I know I’ve got high hopes of getting a bull.
[signature]
Small black or brown flys have always worked for me.
[signature]
Don't know why, but seems like a small renegade will get a bite for me just about anywhere and anytime... good luck and have fun... May want something to fish under the surface too... I'm not very good on knowing which nymph to use though... later J
[signature]
The other replies are all good for the Uintahs.

The fish up there do not get a lot of pressure so I usually use flies in 10's down to 14's in mosquito patterns, adams, prince nymph's, hares ear, pheasant tail, serendipity, San Juan worm, etc.

There have been times up there when you could throw a bare hook and still get hits.[Wink]
[signature]
Good luck on your hunt.
I've always done well using a fly and a bubble.
you can get Pistol Pete's at wall-mart for $20 ish.
Get the clear bubbles and fill them all the way up with water youll want about a 3-4 foot leader. Speed is the key. some days they like it fast some days slow.
Keep an eye out for the common color bugs flying around as thats normally what fish are eating.
[signature]
Thanks for all your tips and advice. I’ve never been up there fishing this late in the year, I try to enjoy strawberry and currant creek this time of year. Hopefully I’ll have my tag filled by satyrday at 9am and get to fish the rest of the weekend! Ha! wishful thinking right?!
[signature]
[font "Comic Sans MS"][#800000][size 3]Be sure to take your ice auger - just in case! [Wink][/size][/#800000][/font]
[signature]
Bob Hicks, from Utah
I'm 81 years young and going as hard as I can for as long as I can.
"Free men do not ask permission to bear arms."
It's probably a good time to fish at altitude before it becomes early ice fishing. Besides, I'm still playing with including off road driving opportunities along with my fishing. I don't know a good source for information about trails, so I've been looking at Google maps in satellite view and following trails back from shore fishing possibilities. I suppose much of the Uinta lakes might be hike in only. My only exposure to them were the excellent photographs here from the TieDyeTwins, but that made me interested in hiking and fishing those lakes and even continuing the tradition of being the first to walk on thin ice. Why not? What could go wrong! I'm looking at our posts as I plan my weekend to likely include fishing!
[signature]
Well....I’m glad I took my fishing gear. We hiked/hunted the Gilbert Lake drainage. Hunting was very unproductive as we didn’t see a living animal besides a couple woodpeckers. That snow storm must have pushed them out, even though there wasn’t much snow even at the lake. The DNR guy we ran in to said a lot animals moved out. Any how made it to Gilbert Lake and I think had it not been windy I might have needed the auger. Didn’t fish the lake very much due to the wind and only having my fly rod with me. The small streams going in and out provided some small Brookies. Any time I came up to a pool in the stream there would be countless fish darting back and forth. Took a couple back in to the trees for a little afternoon snack.
[signature]
Wow that's beautiful, love that picture and the fish on a stick is always a great treat... Thanks for the report... J
[signature]
That scenery makes up for the slow hunting! Great pics!
[signature]