Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Algae blooms
More algae bloom reported on Echo, Rockport and Jordanelle what's up?
[signature]
[#0000FF]There are always algae spores present...in all waters. The blue-green algae...the one that produces the cyanotoxin...has its heaviest blooms when there is just the right combination of water temps, fertility and weather. This past year of heavier runoff and a warm summer brought a combination of more nutrients and higher temps that allowed the blooms to be greater than "normal".

Many Utah lakes have annual algae blooms, but they are often only the regular "green goo" stuff. It does seem strange that all of a sudden we are seeing more of the blue-green blooms. Must be aliens.
[/#0000FF]
[signature]
[quote TubeDude][#0000FF]... Must be aliens.
[/#0000FF][/quote]

The Russians did it!

Regardless of who did it, I found a good article on algae blooms and they are widespread in recent years:

https://articles.mercola.com/sites/artic...=134904780
[signature]
I don't think they are more prevalent then in the past, I think the awareness is greater than it has been in the past.

I have seen the green stuff when ice fishing.

We are in a time in history when the current politics and generation think the planet is more polluted then ever, when, in fact, at least in the US, it is much cleaner then it was just 30 or 40 years ago. Nevertheless, for good, or for bad, there is a knee jerk reaction every time someone sees anything other then super clear water.

Actually the super clear water is sterile and not conductive to life. Many fish, especially the young of the year and all rainbow, consume large quantities of the algae. The prey all consume the Algae.

Remove the Algae and you remove the fish. And PS, the blue green is only dangerous in very concentrated amounts. It actually adds oxygen to the water.
[quote TubeDude][#0000FF]... Must be aliens.
[/#0000FF][/quote]

There is an unnatural reason for this particular algae proliferation trend.

Surprising Reason for Toxic Water Crisis:

"Phosphorus is a known driver of blue-green algae, as they use it readily for fuel. Researchers have uncovered another, relatively surprising, source of phosphorus that also appears to be driving the toxic algae growth to unprecedented levels — glyphosate, the active ingredient in Roundup herbicide."

https://articles.mercola.com/sites/artic...risis.aspx
[signature]
[#0000FF]The excessive phosphorus levels in Utah Lake are the direct result of all the partially treated sewage water entering Utah Lake. Of the dozen or so treatment plants around the lake, only a couple have treatment systems in place to significantly reduce the phosphorus quantities. The rest have been given about 10 years to spend the money to upgrade their treatment to reduce phosphorus. So for the next few years at least we will continue to see the icky stuff.
[/#0000FF]
[signature]