Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Strawberry 10/19
Left work and headed up to Strawberry. Got to Mud Creek about noon. The bathrooms are locked and the envelope box to pay is gone. Weather was beautiful with a little breeze at times. I headed straight across to the north side in my kickboat. First fish on within five minutes. I tried different buggers, purple showgirls, and leeches. The only thing I caught fish on from my boat was a bead head midnight fire. I switched back and forth a few times, but only caught fish when I tied one on again. Most fish came from 5-10 feet down in 15-20 feet of water. Full sink line with almost constant action stripping in. Ended the kick boat fishing with about 10 slot cutts. I say ended because I broke my fly rod on that last fish. New rod, first trip out with it. It broke about 5 inches up from the last connection. I had a spinning rod with me so I tried everything I had without a bite; white tube jig, worms, jakes, spinners.... not even a bite. There were boats in and out of Mud Creek all afternoon but I never saw a fish caught and none of them stayed very long. I decided to call it a day about 4pm and headed to shore. Lots of small rainbows surfacing within 20ft of shore. I tied a red copper john on about 30 inches under a bobber and caught fish until dark. Lots of 10" planter bows and even two slot cutts from less than 5 ft of water right off the launch.
[signature]
Thanks for the report and pics.

It sounds like it was a lot of fun up until you broke the fly rod.[:/] Sorry to hear about the new rod, I hope you have the lifetime warranty.

I'm looking to fish there next week sometime so I'll remember to take some crystal buggers in the midnight fire color.[Wink]
[signature]