Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Meatpole-critter pics and stories please.
My 12 year-old got it done first day of archery season. We snuck up on a bedded buck, had him at 25 yards... and then he shot under his belly. Luckily, just before dark this one stepped out in front of us and my little guy sent one through his liver. The blood trail was tough and since i'd come ill prepared since it was "just" an after school hunt, my flashlight was dead. Don't try and trail with a cell phone, guys. Luckily I was able to call a friend with a decent flashlight and younger eyes than mine to help track and we found the forkie dead less than a hundred yards from the shot.

My season wasn't so good. I had an unlimited archery controlled tag for a unit hard to get into- and I only got into it over labor day. There were plenty of big bucks, but I never got an arrow into any of them.

Luckily, I had a Xtag for a whitey doe up north. Of course since I didn't have a buck tag in my pocket, I had the biggest whitey buck I've ever met stand sideways in front of me at like 30 yards. I was finally able to turn a bullet loose on a doe, but it wasn't as easy as you'd hope. Those things are sketchy! I was a mile or two in, so it was a decent piece of work getting her out.

I still have a receipt for an elk tag, so if you know where I might stick an arrow or bullet in one, let me know.

Please post your stories and pics here. This stuff keeps me going through the year, and I bet I'm not the only one.
[signature]
Congrats on the fine animals.... Been a slow year for me, only shot a spike elk on the second to last day of archery season. Still have 3 deer tags and 2 elk tags for my wife, daughter, and myself. Hopefully over Thanksgiving break we can fill half those tags! Here is the pic of my spike, finally got a velvet elk, even though it was a spike, his forehead is messed up because I started to saw off his horns before I decided too take pics. LOL
Matt
[signature]
Matt,

My brother was in that creek 2 weeks ago. He said there were around 400 elk in there along with about 20 wolves.
[signature]
Yea that's no good......
Matt
[signature]
Had a great year in idaho with hunting buddy and best friend. I moved to montana a few years back and have not been active on this page and cannot remember my old info to login. Although it shows i am new i was a regular up until four or five years ago...

Island Park rifel Oct 1-oct 14. Wonderful adventure...
[signature]

[signature]
Great bull!!! OTC tag?
[signature]