Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Ice Tent Tip
Here's a tip I'd like to share on ice tents.

First and foremost always and I mean always stake down your tent no matter if there is no wind.

Trust me a breeze or wind can happen at any time and I've seen folks chasing down their tents. Some never get the tent back.

Plus being in a tent when a wind hits could cause injury and damage equipment. Word to the wise. Stake down your tent.

To secure tent in a wind instead of using the ropes that came with tent I use straps and quick release buckles. I still have the ropes to use in case.

If in a wind I'll walk around tent and if ice stakes are coming loose without removing loose stake I have extras with straps and quick release buckles. I'll place another stake in with strap and buckle a few inches from loose one before repositioning loose stake

Way better than fiddling with the rope that comes with tent in the wind. Here's a couple pictures.

Again be prepared and be smart is our motto. We've learned very valuable lessons and do the best we can with each lesson learned. I'd rather have it and not need it then need it and not have it. FWIW.
[signature]
Replace the cheap cords that come with your tent.
We were in a big wind at Fish Lake about 4 winters ago, one of the cords broke on our 3 person eskimo shelter. Hub popped in hit me knocking me to my back. knocked my grandma and a grandson to thier faces. Grommets then ripped through straps at all 4 corners. All the other cords broke and there went the tent with a jumble of gear down the lake.
This grandson still has problems with wind and struggles with going ice fishing wind or not.
Grama is a tough ole girl and she still goes with me though.
[signature]
Excellent preparedness post!

I'm way into preparedness. Even on nice days that you won't need it, it's good practice for when you will and creating habits of having all the equipment ready with speed developed in using it. That way when it's needed for more than just fun and fishing and used to solve what would otherwise be a bad situation, you are prepared with skills and equipment.

When our ice fishing tournament participants at Fish Lake got their equipment blown across the lake with sudden strong wind, it made my decision to buy plenty of premium ice anchors very clearly a good choice. My tent is a five sided tent, so that's 5 corners and 5 guy ropes, so that's ten anchors, but I also have plenty of spares. I figure the strain on each tie point of the tent is less by using all tie points because that way the load is distributed and not concentrated on ones that will tear out and rip fabric when there is a sudden strong gust.

To make installation easy without a drill, I selected the type that is essentially the same as ice climbing screws. They quickly and easily screw in with one hand and are much more solid than the thin screws.

I use paracord instead of the straps, but I'm very quick with knots that do exactly what I want. For quick adjustment, I use the taught line hitch which can give it full tension and still release when desired as quick as a strap with releases.

It cuts down on the bulk and weight and same with the ice anchors as they are made of a high strength lightweight alloy.

I also carry two ice screws with 100 feet of 1100 paracord on me when ice fishing should I need to help anyone that falls through weak ice. With the rope anchored at both ends, the rope can span the area of weak ice. Have some prepared short pieces of paracord to tie on with taught line hitches. They will easily slide one way on the taught cord and not the other way, so it can be used to pull yourself out even hauling out others and the ice anchor will hold fast.

Though I often practice with small packs, I go heavy with lots of food, water, extra clothing and all it takes for rescues. It might never be needed, but it's good practice. Besides, I like ice fishing to be social and often offer food and drink to friends and others I meet fishing.
[signature]
[font "Comic Sans MS"][#800000]Excellent post Kim. And I can attest to the need for staking in ALL conditions. And so can Jmorfish. [Wink]

My flip over is almost always left attached to my snowmobile and staked as well to keep the wind from slipping in under the flaps and to keep it from moving from side to side.[/#][/font]
[signature]
Bob Hicks, from Utah
I'm 81 years young and going as hard as I can for as long as I can.
"Free men do not ask permission to bear arms."
Which screws did you get if you don’t mind me asking? I just got a new tent I would love to get some easier drilling screws
[signature]
Let me jump in on this one... best screws are made by Eskimo. You can purchase them on line. They are heavy duty and I have found them to be superior to anything I have used in the past. You can purchase an adapter for your drill that you can use to screw them into the ice. The screw adapter really works quickly and very well.
[signature]
Agreed KJ stakes that come with Eskimo tents are awesome. Plus the drill adapter you referenced is the way to go also. It’s lake ice and not that difficult to use Eskimo tent ice stakes. Even by hand with downward pressure. Plus most places here in Wasatch front sell them 2 per pack. Just saying no need for rock climbing stakes/or stakes if climbing cliff ice walls to support a climber as I see it. My opinion.
[signature]
[quote Dawgden]Which screws did you get if you don’t mind me asking? I just got a new tent I would love to get some easier drilling screws[/quote]

I will stop by my storage and get them and post a picture.

I have both types. When anyone here sees me on the ice, stop by and try both.
[signature]
Where did you get your straps from Kim?
[signature]
Thanks!
[signature]
I switched over to solid webbing.
I had those same buckles and last year at the Fish Lake tournament they failed me and all snapped in half on the male sides.
[signature]
[quote PACKFAN]Where did you get your straps from Kim?[/quote]

Sportsmans Warehouse camping section.

[quote SBennett]I switched over to solid webbing.
I had those same buckles and last year at the Fish Lake tournament they failed me and all snapped in half on the male sides.[/quote]

Sorry to hear that had mine in winds 30 gusting well over 40 plus MPH. No breakage for us tent poles did snap though. We left tent on ice for another group to use that was fishing with us. Two tent poles snapped buckles held fast. I'm sure WyoGuy remembers that time.
[signature]
I have had those plastic buckles fail on a boat cover I used to have while traveling down the hi way. I wonder why a person couldn't use those type straps with a stainless steel hook on each end to get away from the plastic buckles? I do remember the time Kim is talking about...it was nasty !

Shane, while I wasn't there I understand that Fish Lake storm was as bad as it gets. I guess there wasn't many that escaped getting their stuff messed up. I guess the ropes that didn't break had the screws pull out of the ice. I hope I never get in a wind like that!
[signature]
Well, well, well lookee what I found surprised no one else has seen these. So lets check them out is what I say.

http://www.cabelas.com/product/ESKIMO-DE...lsrc=aw.ds
[signature]
Another tip - If you are using a heater to heat the tent use a small battery powered fan to move around the air. Sense I started doing this I have greatly reduced the amount of condensation on the inside of the tent.
[signature]
Thanks for the info Kim I just ordered a couple sets from Cabelas, they should be in next week. I would like to have them before we head to Cascade in a couple weeks. You and Kay have a Merry Christmas [cool]
[signature]
Great tip and thanks for sharing we’ll be taking your tip and using very soon
[signature]
I have a new Eskimo insulated tent that I haven't used yet, supposedly not suppose to frost up inside I guess we will see soon how true that is. I will have to try a battery operated fan it probably moves the heat around inside to help in the colder areas, I have several of them. Thanks for the info.
[signature]
I have been using ATV tie downs for years to hold out the sides on my pop ups, easy to pull and synch snug. easy to release also in case you get a 60 mile an hour wind on the Gorge, and need to get your shelter down quick! [Wink]
[signature]
FYI Sportsman Warehouse in Riverside has the Eskimo Deluxe kit that I linked to at Cabelas for the same price as Cabelas
[signature]