Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Texas Seeks Input On New Fishing Licensing Format
[font "Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif"][#000000][size 2]AUSTIN, TX—The Texas Parks and Wildlife Department is revamping its licensing structure, and is asking Texans for input on how to make the system best serve anglers.[/size][/#000000][/font]

[font "Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif"][#000000][size 2]Under the proposal, anglers could choose from several fishing license packages: a freshwater fishing license ($28 for residents, $55 for non-residents); a saltwater fishing license ($33 for residents, $60 for non-residents); or an all-water fishing license good for fresh and saltwater ($38 for residents, $65 for non-residents). All come with the required stamps.[/size][/#000000][/font]

[font "Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif"][#000000][size 2]Comments on the proposed license changes can be made in person at public hearings to be scheduled across the state; in writing to Gene McCarty, TPWD, 4200 Smith School Rd., Austin, TX 78744; or by email at: [url "mailto:gene.mccarty@tpwd.state.tx.us"][#0000ff]gene.mccarty@tpwd.state.tx.us[/#0000ff][/url].[/size][/#000000][/font]

[font "Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif"][#000000][size 2]The Commission is expected to make a final decision at its April 8 meeting. Any changes would take effect Sept. 1.[/size][/#000000][/font]
[signature]
¸.·´¯`·.´¯`·.¸¸.·´¯`·.¸><(((º>

TheAngler BFT Moderator
Thanks Mike,
I saw that it was in the works earlyer last month but had not seen the actual proposal. It is not good for some one that only fishes Saltwater in the state as the expence is realy high. I like splitting the friesh and salt water but they need to make the split on cost for Residents and non residents a bit closer.
Lets face it Texas gets many visiters durring the winter from the north. They only are in Texas on an average of 3 months a year. It is not fare to them to pay a high fee as when they are in Texas they are a Texan in my opinion.
Most are elderly and fish to relax (C&R).
They also need to provide free for the disabled anglers.
[signature]
SSOR: Clarification Please

Help me get this clear in my mind... You object to TP&WD's consideration of an increase in license fee's because of a disparity in the pricing structure between resident (those of us that actually reside here and bear the brunt of taxes and license fee's) and that of a non-resident who may visit our state on a temporary basis, AKA snowbirds.

Many of the "winter Texans", as they prefer to be called, migrate to this state because of the exceptional outdoor activities [fresh & saltwater fishing, hunting, bird watching, etc] Texas has to offer. A large number of these individuals do in fact enjoy fishing in a state where reasonable prices allows them to do so on an extended basis. But you seem to feel that TP&WD Commissioners should not consider or approve the proposed increase in fees (which will affect residents as well as non-residents) and claim that there is too much disparity in the price structure. I beg to differ.

A quick check on the internet reveals that CURRENTLY in Texas there is a difference of $27.00 between resident and non-resident licenses. That is IF the proposal is approved as it is, without any revision, which normally occurs at hearings and after debate and public input. The same investigation shows that in the state of Ohio (one of the many northern and mid-western states from whence "snowbirds" flock to Texas) the disparity is $21.00; i.e., $19.00 resident freshwater fishing & $40.00 for a non-resident permit. Should a visitor to Texas desire to fish both fresh and saltwater they would need a combination license (which under the proposal eliminates the requirement of purchasing any species specific tags) $38.00 -vs-$65.00; still a difference of ONLY $27.00! Given that Texas offers hundereds of miles of accessable saltwater fishing and literally hundreds of freshwater lakes the variation of $6.00 doesn't seem to be all that bad.

Non-residents pay the same identical park &/or launch fees as the Texan's whose taxes and fees built said ramp and park in which non-residents avail themselves of all uses therein. The non-resident did not, however, pay for or support the hundreds of millions of dollars that Texans have poured into development, research and stocking some of the most productive waters in the entire U.S.A. Oversight of our lakes, rivers and coastal waters by some of the very best biologist doesn't come cheap. Visitors to Texas have the opportunity to enjoy some of the best fishing for a wide variety of species in this country. TEXANS paid for most of that and I feel that any non-resident who feels the need to partake of our resources should be willing to pay a little ($27.00) more for all the pleasure they receive and to help continue to replenish the resource that has given them so much pleasure. After all, Texans that travel outside the state pay the difference and generally receive much less bang for the buck.

Would you rather have the federal government in the form of the Federal Wildlife Department take over all States rights of oversight, establish regulations/rates (along with enforcement thereof) and protection of wildlife habitat (with their great track record) offering a universal license to fish anywhere within the U.S.? Until that happens, when I travel to other states in the course of my tournament competitions or simply for pleasure, I will gladly pay whatever fees are necessary without complaining. When and if that time comes I'll just stay home and complain about issues that I have a right to complain about.

Jim Files
[signature]
Jim,
I do agree on you for the most part of what you say.
What I was thinking in my statements is that I truly beleave that our economy in Texas recieves a nice boost durring the Winter Texans trips to our Great State. They on the most part keep many buisnesses form loss durring the winter months. They also pay taxes just like the rest of us do. I was just suggesting that if that licanse fee was a bit closer it might increase the winter Texan travel thus adding to the boost of our economy. I am not arguing against the fees in general as it is a requirement to maintain and add to our great fishing in the state.
When I spend extended time in Ohio I also pay a higher fee to fish there. I realy do not mind it that much. I do notice that When I am back on the island where fishing is the way of life for almost all, that in over 20 years I have never been stoped to verify that I do have my licanse to fish in the Great state of ours. I do keep my licanse current for that matter as there is always the first time.
An increase checking might be needed to asure that the higher fees are paid by all as you know as well as I the lack of checking promotes many to not pay their dues.
I think that an increase in checking along with a higher fine for not purchasing the apropriate licanse might offset the cost of an increese. My honest estimate is about 25% of anglers, Residents and Non-residents do not pay their dues to use our waters along the coast. I beleave also that the freshwater situation is a lower persentage of around 10-15%.
[signature]