Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Strawberry (SC) 5/21
Me and the old man hit Soldier Creek this morning. We finished with my limit at 1159. 7 Rainbow's and 1 Kokanee. Missed several hookups on my Kokanee set up. Got a few right to the boat before they came unbuttoned. Made for an exciting trip. Would have liked to have boated a few more of the Koke's. Pop gear and a worm for the trout was the ticket. A pink dodger and pink spin and glow for the Koke's. Tried green as per other posts from last week but no luck. Also tried orange, had a couple bumps. We didn't still fish at all, trolled all day. Troll speed was 2 mph. Marked several schools between 20' and 30'. Picked up the one we were able to get in the boat and the others that came unbuttoned out of them. Nothing big, nothing to spectacular, but one of the few times its been just me and the old man on the boat together in a LONG time so it was a real treat. Good luck to the rest of ya with memorial coming up hope that helps.
[signature]
[font "Comic Sans MS"][#800000]Your problem with lost fish (kokanee) may be with the type of rods you are using. Kokanee rods should be very, VERY flexible. I use Ugly Stik Ultra Lites and Kokanee Creek Kokanee rods. They work great for getting kokanee IN the net/boat. Not so much for trout where medium weight rods work better.[/#800000][/font]
[font "Comic Sans MS"][#800000]
[/#800000][/font]
[font "Comic Sans MS"][#800000]If you are using very light action rods and still losing fish, then you may be in too much of a hurry to get them netted. Slow down a tad and let the rod work its magic.[/#800000][/font]
[/#800000][/font]
[font "Comic Sans MS"][#800000]Another trick is to keep your rod tip in the water until the kokanee stop jumping or get close to the boat. If your rod tip is up (with lots of line in the air) and the fish goes airborne, then there WILL be some slack in the line and the kokanee can throw the hook.[/#800000][/font]
[/#800000][/font]
[font "Comic Sans MS"][#800000]I hope you have better luck next time out.[/#800000][/font]
[font "Comic Sans MS"][#800000][Smile][/#800000][/font]
[signature]
Bob Hicks, from Utah
I'm 81 years young and going as hard as I can for as long as I can.
"Free men do not ask permission to bear arms."
Thanks for the info Bob. I was using a little heavier "medium" action trolling rod and wondered if my problem wasn't something like that. This is my first year getting after the Kokanee so will have to go invest some money in rods sounds like. It was quite fun to actually get into them. We kinda tried last year and didn't ever get into any to speak of.
[signature]
We used rubber snubbers on are normal poles and did pretty good last year. I think only one got off out of ten or so. But you do really have to baby these fish.

The poles they recommend are worth there weight in gold though. I saw some in action and they are koke catching machines.

fnf[cool]
[signature]
I caught a 4.5 lb cutthroat on Saturday with a Cabelas Kokanee rod. It worked just fine. For years I used a medium downrigger rod at 8’6 and they worked great too. You can’t horse in the kokes like you can the trout, but keep at them and you will get a feel for it. I only use mono line since it has some stretch. Kokanee rods definitely help the catch rates, but not essential. If they start jumping, I put the rod tip in the water, that seems to help too!
[signature]
slow down and your catch rate may go up
like bob said the right rod is a big dill
mine cost about $120 and I build them you can see if the dodger is working right
if you are watching you can see a minnow bit
[signature]