Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Tungsten jigs
I think I want to add some tungsten jigs to my ice-fishing kit. What can anyone tell me about them? Are they worth the premium prices you pay? Advantages and diSadvantages? Specific brands, styles, weights, etc.?
[signature]
The older I get the more I would rather be considered a good man than a good fisherman.

Yes they are worth it....tungsten jigs are heavier than lead so even among the micro variety you can fish a 1/64 when the need arises. Some of the various brands also offer great tungsten jigs that also glow. Earlier this season I watched a guy dead stick a tungsten jig with perch meat and catch 13" perch back to back....
[signature]
Love the tungsten jigs... They are small size but dense so they sink fast and they pull the kinks out of light line so you are in full contact with the fish, so you feel when they get a hold of your lure, small so the fish will suck them in even on slow days... I have been using the clam and eagle claw small stuff that Sportsmans sells... they work great for me... I've got a bunch of others I accumulated over the years, but I'm stuck on the ones mentioned and I don't change them out all season long... Later J
[signature]
A little Confused by the statement that they are heavier.

Which is heavier, a pound of feathers or a pound of lead? A pound is a pound.

They may be able to achieve the same weight in a smaller size, is that the advantage?

Like fly fishing at times, the smaller the better.
[signature]
Another vote for yes. My catch rates are usually higher and aggravation level lower. And like stated above, sometimes the small size seems to be the only think that gets bit.
[signature]
Yes that is the advantage.
[signature]
Absolutely worth it for panfish. The higher density of tungsten let's you use a smaller jig head that drops faster and holds your line tighter than a lead jig head of the same size would. You will spend less time stripping line out of your reel, slowly dropping down and trying to figure out if you're on the bottom yet which means you'll spend more time watching for bites and catching fish. In the past I often used a 2 jig setup with lead jigheads. One larger jig head for incidental trout/bass etc which was really just there to get it down faster 12-18" over a smaller jig for panfish. Now I'll often just use the smaller tungstens to stay on the panfish I'm actually targetting.
[signature]
Definitely worth every penny.
With the exception of Powell, I use mine in the summer also because they are so effective.
Use them on a light braid and you have a rigid connection to the fish.
[signature]
Resistance and friction. Take a pound of feathers in your hands, loose, and a pound of lead and drop them both and see if the feathers and lead hit the ground at the same time. A lead jig vs. a tungsten jig of the same size is the same thing, the tungsten weighs more, exerts more downward force on the line and counteracts the friction of the line against the guides and spool and the resistance of the line against the water. It does it enough that it will pull line by itself instead of requiring you to pull line off the reel manually like you do with a lead jig.
[signature]
Check out the Acme tungsten jigs. I know Sportsman’s in logan sells them but they come with 2 in a pack instead of 1 like the clam or eagle claw jigs. I LOVE tungsten jigs.
[signature]
For all of the reasons already stated, the fast sink rate gives me advantages for my technique for roaming fish. The drag of water on the fall of a tiny jig can make it sink very slow unless it is the high density tungsten offers us. That matters for one of my styles for when fish swim by my finder and camera. I'll have a lot of holes out there to fish and will run off in the same direction the fish are going to drop a line QUICLKY to the same depth as seen on my fish finder. My reel has a digital line counter, so I can quickly drop the lure to the exact same depth and be ahead of them. A slow sinking lure would get to that depth after they already would have swam past, so it wouldn't work for that method.
[signature]
Marmooska jigs are great. Bentley had great jigs. The bumblebee has a crystal, and the camera has shown it works.

https://m.facebook.com/pg/Bentley-Fishin...409/about/
John where do you find them? I've heard of them, but I don't think I've ever seen them.... (link didn't work for me) Thanks for the tip.. J
[signature]
I like them for ice fishing, I get mine off ebay they run about 3 bucks apiece and they have a great selection, I ordered a few last night and they will be here this coming Thursday.[cool]
[signature]
I just read over this thread again and took notes. You all are the best! I feel like I could write a book, or at least an article, from what you have taught me. Thank you. Now, has anybody used the Custom Jigs and Spins (they're the Ratfinkee company) Chekai tungsten ice jigs. At just $2.50 per, they are about as cheap as you can find and they get good reviews. What do you think?

https://customjigs.com/products/chekai-t...e-jig.html
[signature]
The older I get the more I would rather be considered a good man than a good fisherman.

I have several of the Custom Jigs and Spin tungsten jigs. Very good quality and sticky sharp hooks. I also have some Woofrom tungsten. They are higher in price. Don’t think they are any better.
[signature]
The chekais are very good.
Another good one is VMC.
Size down one size at least from normal and be ready....
Dont forget a very fine set of forceps to remove the tiny jigs.
Or, take a pair of needle nose pliers and rotate the tip around on a bench grinder to custom grind your own set of 'finesse' pliers.
[signature]