Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Tips for broken tips?
I broke a tip off yesterday. Wondering if anybody has any quick tips to save some trial and error. Planning on shaving down the remaining section with an x acto knife to the diameter needed for the tip. Still not certain on how to remove the broken piece fron inside the tip. There isnt any sticking out to try and grab with needle nose. Cant find a drill bit that small in the garage to drill it out with
[signature]
Put the tip in the oven. Experiment with the temperature until you find it sufficient to break down the epoxy bond. Then the broken piece of rod can be pulled out and you can polish out the inner surface to be able to produce a strong bond again. But, if it doesn't fit, then consider not weakening the rod tip by thinning it and instead searching for a tip that will fit.

I also need to find a replacement tips for some ultralights, but I just put them aside and have been fishing with other rods and just haven't sought a source for them yet.
[signature]
I have repaired many broken tips this is what I do. Take the the tip hold it in a pair of needle knose pliers and use a torch or lighter to burn the graphite out of it, then use some 2 part epoxy or super glue to glue it back onto the pole if you still have a couple inches after the next eye. If the break is close to that eye I will just cut the pole off and the secondeye becomes the tip. Do not shave down your pole it will fit back in the tip once you burn out the graphite which works great.
[signature]
Heat the tip and get it hot. Sometimes that wil melt the glue and the rod tip will fall out. If not keep heating and burn it out.
[signature]
[#0000FF]Don't go shaving down the remaining tip section...or you will have another broken tip soon/[/#0000FF]
[#0000FF]
[/#0000FF]
[#0000FF]Don't know where you live, but if you want to come by my place I build and repair rods...and if you have the extra tips and the hot-melt glue...it is quick and painless. I only charge for the tip if it has to be replaced. Otherwise, if your tip is salvageable but too small for the broken end, I will just swap it out with you...if it is still in good condition.[/#0000FF]
[#0000FF]
[/#0000FF]
[#0000FF]Your broken off tip inside is probably anchored in place with hot melt glue. Try holding it in a pair of long-nosed pliers over a candle or lighter (or stove burner) until it starts to smoke a little. Then you can use a needle or something up inside to pry it out. But you have to have some of that rod tip glue to reinstall it or put on a new one.[/#0000FF]
[#0000FF]
[/#0000FF]
[#0000FF]At any given time I have a bunch of tips of most common sizes.
[/#0000FF]
[signature]
Thanks for the help folks! As you all said, heat was my missing ingredient. Put a lighter to the tip and only took a couple seconds for the broken piece to launch right out. Painless extraction. Superglued tip back on. Repair only took a couple minutes, glad I asked. Hopefully since I only lost 1" it won't change my tip sensitivity too much. Have you noticed any difference in superglue vs. hot melt? Only had superglue on hand so thats what I used. But wondering which is the preferred method for next time.
[signature]
[#0000FF]The hot melt glue is best for being able to make repairs in the future...if needed. Most rods never need tip replacement. The hot melt is also good if you mess up the alignment. Just reheat it and reposition it. With epoxy or superglue you can't make adjustments after the fact.
[/#0000FF]
[#0000FF]
[/#0000FF]
[#0000FF]Also, there are differences in super glues and epoxies. Hopefully you used one that has some flexibility and is not adversely affected by changes in temperature or humidity. Some hold up better than others.
[/#0000FF]
[signature]
Nope. Just cheap dollar store superglue. Oh well, now I know. What brand/type of hot melt do you recommend? I'll be sure to have some on hand for next time
[signature]
They sell rod tip repair kits with various tip sizes and hot melt glue included at about any sporting goods store.
[signature]
Thanks. I've never noticed one, but I've never been looking for such a thing either. I'll be sure to ask next time I hit the store.
[signature]

[signature]
[signature]
I simply buy one of those nifty rod tip repair kits for around $6 and it takes all of about 2 minutes to repair, comes with 3 or 4 various diameter tips to fit most broken ends and glue.
[signature]