Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Boatman Patterns
I had heard that Boatman bugs were #3 on most trout diets, yet I have never fly fished this pattern. Does anyone have any experience fly fishing with Boatman patterns with any success? Curious....
[signature]
[quote richyd4u]I had heard that Boatman bugs were #3 on most trout diets, yet I have never fly fished this pattern. Does anyone have any experience fly fishing with Boatman patterns with any success? Curious....[/quote]

I have not actually used a boatman pattern but I've had success in waters that contain them using small soft hackle flies. I have found them to be effective in waters that don't contain boatman because they just look edible.[Wink]

Not much help for your question. I'm sure that a boatman pattern would be effective because there are so many of our lakes & reservoirs that contain them.
[signature]
[quote gofish435][quote richyd4u]I had heard that Boatman bugs were #3 on most trout diets, yet I have never fly fished this pattern. Does anyone have any experience fly fishing with Boatman patterns with any success? Curious....[/quote]

I have not actually used a boatman pattern but I've had success in waters that contain them using small soft hackle flies. I have found them to be effective in waters that don't contain boatman because they just look edible.[Wink]

Not much help for your question. I'm sure that a boatman pattern would be effective because there are so many of our lakes & reservoirs that contain them.[/quote]

Thanks. I have always seen them in the waters I have fished, but for some reason didn't think the trout targeted them. Then I spoke to a local guy here, and he was telling me that they are #3 on a trout's diet, so this peaked my interest. Doesn't seem like a hard pattern to imitate. I may tie some up and try them out this spring.
[signature]