Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Reel Trouble
hey everyone
I need some help with my reel , do you have any advise?
I was out fishin in like 20 degree whether. well i live in Nd. and i was fishin a lake that stays open all year. well my spinning reel started acting up and was getting harder and harder to reel,i thnk because of the cold, so when i got home and let it warm up it was still hard to reel. i took off the handle and the spool and cleaned them but when i put i back on it was still hard to reel. then it seemed like the part under the spool that spins, was like getting stuck when it was spinning like there were no barrings or they were stuck to gether cuz when i spun it with my hand it would go then come to a stop fast. if you have any advise please reply. I need to get my reels ready for spring!

thanks
Michael
[signature]
Maybe try and oil it?? My baitcasting reel was hard to reel last summer and I got some reel oil and oiled it and works just fine now.
[signature]
hey bassmaster

thanks for the advise, i think i'll prob. go and do that since nothin else has worked. lets just hope i dont mess it up or anything. And im thinkin if that doesnt work im gonna take it up to dakota tackle and see if they can do anything about it. i thinks its better than buyin a whole new reel.

thanks

Michael
[signature]
Here's some general info on cleaning spinning reels. Hope it helps[Smile]

[font "Arial"][size 2]The most exposed points on your reel are the pivot screws on both sides of the bail arm and the bail roller.
These three areas are not only exposed to salt water, they also become encrusted with fish oil, bits of scale and whatever else collects on your fingers during the course of a days fishing.
In fact, it never does any harm to spray lubricant here at the end of each outing.[/size][/font]
[size 1] [Image: spinreel.02.JPG]
[Image: spinreel.01.JPG] [/size][font "Arial"][size 2]Two other spots that can benefit from regular lubrication without any dismantling are the [b][font "Arial"][size 2]finger grip on the handle (2) and the [/size][/font]anti-reverse switch (3). [font "Arial"][size 2]On some models this may be located under the body.[/size][/font]

Next, remove the handle assembly and lubricate the bearings/bushes on either side of the reel body and also the handle shaft (1).[/size][/font][/b][size 1]
[/size][font "Arial"][size 2]The anti-reverse mechanism itself is located under the rotor on most models so it is very important to pay particular attention to this area and treat it with a liberal dose of lubricant.[/size][/font][size 1] [Image: spinreel.03.jpg]
[Image: spinreel.04.JPG] [/size][font "Arial"][size 2]Next, undo the drag knob by screwing in an anti-clockwise direction, then remove the spool and lubricate the shaft.

Finally, a light spray of lubricant applied to the drag washers located on top of the spool (1) will ensure they don't rust or bind up and will remain smooth in operation[/size][/font]
[size 1] [/size]

Another note is to not use WD-40 for oiling your reel.
[signature]
hey bassmaster

thanks that helps

i think the bottom pic explains it well the 4th pic down thats where it seems to be slowin the reel down . thanks for all the info, i hope it works

thanks

Michael
[signature]
No problem. Glad I could help[Smile]
[signature]
Can you come over and do my reels also??? Pretty please??[cool]
[signature]