Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Willard Wiper fun 3/27/19
Gave Willard another try tonight after work for a couple hours. Similar to last week I tried many different tactics (crank baits, soft plastics, swim baits, marabou jigs, even top water, etc.). I wanted to try dragging flush slow and some bottom bouncing for walleyes by the light pole but on my way over my styrofoam cooler with my bait blew out of the boat and I didn’t notice. As a result we didn’t have much luck, except for one bite on a black marabou jig along the north dike that my Dad missed.

When we got back over my the north marina we decided to pull out our fly rods, hoping to at least catch one crappie right before dark. Fist ten minutes nothing and then I hooked to nice wipers within five minutes of each other. One was 22” and the other was 20”, just under six pounds and five pounds respectively. Made for a fun night and I somehow avoided the normal skunk Willard usually gives me.
[signature]
Very nice, thanks for the report. I am looking forward to Willard Bay in the next couple weeks.
[signature]
It should only get better from here on out. The water temperature was about 48 degrees.
[signature]
Very nice, those wipers are a blast on fly rod.
[signature]
You found them in the marina?
Might give the catfish a break , and hit Willard.
Very nice Thank you for report
[signature]
There's Always Time For One More Cast
Congratulations, what a great night... Nice fish and thanks for sharing the report... J
[signature]
I got them just outside the marina by the buoy. I was using a black and red leech. I have learned so much from everyone on BFT I hope this helps someone else have success. Willard is always tough fishing for me but nights like last night keep me coming back.
[signature]
I totally agree! Very strong fish.
[signature]
Fun! Can I ask what type of fly line, Sinking? Floating? Can we get a picture of the fly. [Wink]

fnf[cool]
[signature]
I was wondering if you were bouncing your flies off the bottom or did you find the wipers around mid-depth? Since you were after Crappie I am guessing mid-depth. Thx.
[signature]
I got these last spring right in the marina, full sinking line with a shad baitfish pattern.
[signature]
Those wipers have been eating good, there must still be a lot of dead shad on the bottom or maybe they are eating something else. Did you by chance check their stomach contents?
[signature]
These are deadly.
[signature]
I didn’t check their stomachs, not sure what to look for anyway so I just filleted them. They were very fat bellies.
[signature]
I’ll take a picture of the fly and post it. I was using an intermediate sinking line. I was trolling it behind my boat at about 1-1.2 mph (pretty fast). I would love any advice others have for catching fish at Willard. I still feel like a Willard newbie even though I probably fished it at least 50 times.
[signature]
Yes, mid depth. Intermediate sinking line.
[signature]
Here is the fly I used last night.
[signature]
I'll bet those bad boys gave you a tussle!
[signature]
Yeah, it took a few minutes to land each one. It is a blast on a fly rod.
[signature]
Thanks for the info.

fnf[cool]
[signature]