Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Lake has astounded me this year with numbers caught !
Maybe it's because my fishing style has change, but each time I fish this lake I catch over 40 fish and in the last three trips have caught 60 each trip and over 60 total including my partner's catch.

This is what may account for the success on this lake: using sonar to find fish in the area and then casting around the boat to find groups of fish. I also don't fish the deepest water or long shorelines that don't hold fish.

The structure that has held many fish are flats that average 6' deep. The deepest water is 14' but holds no fish. But strange was catching bass on 3' deep flat edges that dropped into 6'.

What I've found key in working large areas is using jigs with soft plastics that cast a long distance and can work large areas. The best jig weight yesterday was 1/24 oz whereas the trip before 1/16 oz worked fine.

Many lure designs worked and in many colors - even curl tail grubs which I rarely use. Crappie, sunfish, yellow perch and bass were caught on the same lures.

This wacky rigged mini-stick caught crappie and bass. What a beautiful action!
[Image: tjMaT3i.jpg][Image: FZJuG5F.jpg]

The best lure I can always count on is a white spike tail grub:
[Image: HYNvAv7.jpg?2]

A claw from a bass lure also caught fish:
[Image: QwZ8O4T.jpg][Image: OTqK5St.jpg]
I guess it's similar to a Crappie Magnet grub which also did well:
[Image: KSjD3Xx.jpg]

My cone tail did well but with a different part added: I thicker head:
[Image: wndQyke.jpg]
[Image: tG1zUBX.jpg]

I would have tried for 100 but the heat got to me by 3:30 pm.
[signature]
As a follow up, my partner and I caught 108 fish 7/12/19 and 96 fish today. He stuck on using his red/chartreuse tail Crappie Magnet; I switch designs after catching at least 4 fish with each.

Interesting was his catching 4 catfish on the Magnet in one day plus 10-11" crappie, 4 nice yellow perch, a bunch of sunfish and the majority crappie. We again stayed in one area 50 yds X 40 yds and worked the water with a depth under 6.5'. Many of the strikes were fierce!
Some of my creations that caught fish from 8:30am -12pm:
[Image: jYYHxJQ.jpg?1][Image: p13oS2T.jpg][Image: bhRQiSl.jpg?1][Image: wndQyke.jpg]

I'm talk'n a bright sunny day with wind 10 + mph.
[signature]
Thanks for sharing, the pictures are great. I wish I could get out and catch fish like that.
[signature]
Follow up.
Yesterday I just had to fish the lake to try more lure designs before the weather turns brutal - like today with a heat index of 94 ! I wasn't disappointed in the time I fished from 8:30 am until it got too hot by 4 pm. Here are some of the designs that proved themselves in the afternoon with a bright sun overhead.

Thin straight tail:
[Image: Y2B9Y7h.jpg][Image: cNISFds.jpg]

Clear cone tail:
[Image: iROQH3z.jpg][Image: m1x8QWr.jpg]

Spike tail:
[Image: 6VldQtd.jpg][Image: bhRQiSl.jpg?1][Image: dGOTmYv.jpg][Image: p8iD1cy.jpg]

Crappie Magnet Grub:
[Image: 5ABYo7Q.jpg][Image: cUyfDnW.jpg]

Claw tail made from a 3" Mr Twister Grub's body and tail:
[Image: 0EnaTZR.jpg?1][Image: jYYHxJQ.jpg?1]

Another claw cut from a bass craw lure:
[Image: QwZ8O4T.jpg?1][Image: OTqK5St.jpg]

64 fish caught. I even discovered new areas I hadn't caught fish since last year : crappie, sunfish, yellow perch, bass (one near 1 3/4 lb).

This location pattern can't last forever.
[signature]