Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Flaming Gorge koke limits
Still trying to put a trip together. Just want to confirm the possession limit. If i fish the Utah side i could bring home 6, and if i fished the Wyoming side I could bring home 3 right? Not legal to do both obviously.I would go for at least 2 days. I would like to try for the bigger kokes that everyone usually says are on the Wyoming side, but would be done at 3 fish and would then try for laker pups.

What do you guys do? Because it seems I've read a report or 2 on this forum where it was suggested that limits were caught daily on multiple day trips? Maybe they were catch and release? I don't know. Thanks for any assistance.
[signature]
When I get the chance to go, i fish the Utah side. With the new prices for the Wyoming stamp and mussel cert. For me and my wife that's an additional $100. We dont go enough to make the Wyoming side worth it to us.
[signature]
I was there this week the kokanee I got on the Utah side was just as big as the ones on the WY.

The possession limit says in Utah you can have two days possession limit

if you are in WY. one day limit most of us drive in WY to get home

So what if they check you in WY when you are driving home. do they give you a ticket for having to many fish.

no one knows where you got the kokanee
[signature]
That's a valid point Robert. I wonder how that would work? Because we would travel through Wyoming either way we went home. Interesting. I wonder if Wyoming will or would make the kokanee possession limit the same as Utah to make it jive together?
[signature]
Now we are into what ifs? You are camped at Lucerne where you launch from, you cross over to Wyoming with proper reciprocal stamp and AIS boat decal and catch your daily limit according to Wyoming regs. Now you return to Lucerne to ice down your catch. The next day you return to Wyoming for another catch only to return back to Lucerne, what happens now? I'm just saying!!!!!
[signature]
Wyoming doesn’t want Utahns taking home all their fish.
1st clue: Cost of AIS sticker.
2nd clue: Increasing reciprocal license 300% this year.
3rd clue: Not making possession limits the same as a neighboring state that shares a body of water, especially when the other state has the lions share of the water.
Feel free to change the word ‘clue’ to ‘strikes’.
[signature]
Just a thought, how many of those fish are stocked/spawned in Wyoming?? My understanding is the majority of the stocked fish come from Utah and the number of spawning streams are about equal !! Wyoming has always had a different view on management of the Gorge. One good thing I can say is that their Conservation Officers have very good manners and are extremely courteous when they check you on the water.
Not sure on numbers but is a good question.
My interactions with both states LEO’s have been excellent, I just wish there were more of them to spread around.
I do think it is a shame both states can’t agree on the rules of a resource they both share....
[signature]
[#800000][font "Comic Sans MS"][size 3]If you are staying in Utah (camp ground, motel, boondocks) when you fish the Gorge, then your daily limit is 3 and your possession limit is 6 kokanee. Period.
[/size][/font][/#800000]

[#800000][size 3][font "Comic Sans MS"]If you [/font][/size][/#800000][#800000][font "Comic Sans MS"][size 3]are staying in Wyoming (camp ground, motel, boondocks) when you fish the Gorge, then your daily AND possession limit is 3 kokanee. Period.[/size][/font][/#800000]
[#800000][font "Comic Sans MS"][size 3]
[/size][/font][/#800000]
[#800000][font "Comic Sans MS"][size 3]Recommendation - when you fish more than one day at a time at the Gorge, STAY on the Utah side of the boarder. Period.[/size][/font][/#800000]
[/size][/font][/#800000]
[#800000][font "Comic Sans MS"][size 3]If you stay in a motel or campground, get a receipt to prove where you stayed. If you boondock, then you are on your own. But if you are traveling home to Utah through Wyoming, there is absolutely no way to prove one way or the other where you caught your fish and/or where you stayed. I still believe that you are considered innocent until PROVEN guilty in this country. I will go out on a limb here and say that it is HIGHLY unlikely that A Wyoming CO would stop you traveling through Wyoming and cite you for having a possession limit of 6 kokanee without absolute proof that you STAYED in Wyoming while fishing multiple days.[/size][/font][/#800000]
[/size][/font][/#800000]
[#800000][font "Comic Sans MS"][size 3]COs on both sides of the border have much better things to do than stop travelers to check for possession limits of fish. Drive the speed limit and safely and you should have no worries what so ever.[/size][/font][/#800000]
[/size][/font][/#800000]
[#800000][font "Comic Sans MS"][size 3]They can, and DO, check possession limits at campgrounds, boondocks, and motels. They DON'T as a rule stop travelers to check for possession limits.[/size][/font][/#800000]
[/size][/font][/#800000]
[#800000][font "Comic Sans MS"][size 3]That's my story and I'm sticking to it. [Wink]
[/size][/font][/#800000]
[signature]
Bob Hicks, from Utah
I'm 81 years young and going as hard as I can for as long as I can.
"Free men do not ask permission to bear arms."
Since they no longer have the reciprocal license and you have to purchase a full price license for each state you want to fish in why can't you have a daily limit for each state in which you have a license provided you caught them on different sides of the line. Doesn't seem any different than me hunting pheasants in North and South Dakota on the same day. Separate hunting license, separate locations, separate limits.
[signature]
Sunrise on the water
The two day possession for just one side of the water has been a point of confusion for several anglers this year and hopefully it can be addressed during the next regulation cycle. For now, you can have a two day possession, for any species from the Utah side of Flaming Gorge, and only a two day possession (24 fish) for lake trout from the Wyoming side. If you catch and possess a 6-fish possession limit for kokanee, they obviously must be from the Utah side. If you get stopped in Wyoming, while enroute back to where you live in Utah, I've been told you must make sure you have your Utah fishing license so your possession is valid. As Dubob suggested, even if they're caught in Utah, I would not have a two day possession for kokanee, and camp or lodge in Wyoming, as it could be difficult for a Wyoming Game and Fish warden to determine the legality of the possession. Wyoming's law on possession is pretty simple, you may only possess a daily limit, even at your home or domicile. Unfortunately it's very "grey" because of the difference between states, but Wyoming Game and Fish understands the issue, has good wardens, and they do not want to cite anyone that harvests and possesses fish legally from Utah.

Hope that helps clear it up a little, thanks, and good luck, Ryno
[signature]