Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Ogden River 8/12
Went out solo for the first time since taking my fly fishing class. Screened the river and found a couple of scuds, 3 worms, and 2 tiny what I think were sculpins. Tied on a San Juan and an olive scud and managed to land a nice 14” brown on the scud. I then promptly lost both worm and scud, and had nothing similar left in my fly box....... guess the next class I take should be fly tying as I seem to lose 3-4 flies per fish caught. Great evening though with beautiful weather.
[signature]
A few flies that you should have is scuds, sows(lots of these),I like bead head flash back pheasant tails, I use these in almost everywhere I fish.I how this helps you on flies
[signature]
[quote southernbass]A few flies that you should have is scuds, sows(lots of these),I like bead head flash back pheasant tails, I use these in almost everywhere I fish.I how this helps you on flies[/quote]

Absolutely...if you can just learn how to initially tie a bh hares ear and bh pheasant tail, you can keep yourself stocked up on those 2 flies and catch fish anywhere.
[signature]
Did decent the other night using a stimulator/dropper rig. Caught most of them on the pheasant tail dropper in late evening. Also got a couple on a dark caddis right at last light. Late evening caddis hatch can be fun on that river as long as you don't mind the bats zipping past you Smile
[signature]
You need a minimum of 4 flies per pattern, one for the trees, one for the rocks, one for the fish and one to take back to the fly shop to get more.
[signature]
Nice work getting after it and getting a fish on your own. You will quickly learn what flies you just have to have 6-12 of at all times. I have a fly box with nothing but zebra midge, scuds, sows, cadis larva and San Juan. Various sizes and colors. Keep at it and you will be ready for every situation. Nice work!
[signature]