Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Rockfish How to Catch Video
Fishing for Rockfish can be a lot of fun and provide a great meal. While these fish are long lived and susceptible to overfishing there are a few varieties that are more plentiful. One of those is Black rockfish. The DFO has taken a more proactive measure by reducing limits and closing areas to fishing for Rockfish Conservation areas. Fishing for them is all about finding them. Once you have located them they will aggressively hit all sorts of lures and jigs. When salmon fishing gets slow or the tides are not favorable we head to the rocks for some great rockfish fishing. I know one of my previous how to videos on rockfish was a little sparse on actual verbal information. So here is an action packed video that I hope you will find entertaining and educational.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=48h9JG3iA4w
[signature]
I have a side interest to fishkeeping and I want to include Black rockfish in my aquarium. Since the shade of Blackfish is entirely different from others I think Not Only me, whoever wants to keeping fish they generally need to include this ravishing and the lovely fish in their aquarium.

EDIT: Links are not allowed for new members, see the FAQ above for the rules on this site.
[signature]
Another awesome video with some great info, thanks for sharing it with us. I have fished for rockfish before but never that shallow, looks like you have to be careful when you are that shallow. I guess you were using your gas trolling motor to maintain your position, if you fish like that often, have you considered getting an electric trolling motor? I have spot lock feature on my Minn Kota that works pretty good in situations like that.
[signature]
Yeah you have to be super attentive to the wind, waves and current fishing this close to the rocks. If the video it looks like we are further away then we really are. Easy Casting distance to the rocks. Have to use the motor for positioning all the time. An electric motor on a larger trophy like mine up here is something I have never seen and I doubt it would work to tell you the truth with all the different factors at play. Even with the motor running we are drifting all over the place quickly.
[signature]
How long is your boat? I've seen Minn Kota, riptide electric motors hold boats just like yours that were 23 ft in length, in place in 15 to 20 mph winds. They do move around a little but they will come back to the same spot. Of course you would likely need one that has at least 24 to 36 volt motor. Best thing about it is that it is hands free.[Smile]
That being said, not being in your position, I could not guarantee that but I do know they use Riptide motors in salt water all the time.
[signature]
Yeah my boat is a 22 foot. But I think you may not be experiencing the current and waves we have as well here. Our tidal shift from high to low is large. Very strong currants. This is something I rarely do, maybe for 30 minutes to a hour out of a whole week of fishing. Would not be worth it to have an electric motor just for that. Where would I mount that electric motor? I have never seen a boat on the ocean up here in British columbia using an electric motor like that. I'm sure it may work, but for the amount of time that I may use it I'll pass.
[signature]
I have two friends that have the same kind of boat as yours, one is a 21' the other is a 23' and they both have Minn Kotas, you would have to do a little work, if you have a rail in front but they both got theirs to work with little trouble. I was the same as you, did not do that type of fishing much and did not think it was worth it but I picked up a used one for a good deal and haven't regretted it, I even use mine as a auto pilot to steer the boat, when I'm trolling. Here is a link to a video where they are using one in salt water, not the same conditions as what you would be using it for but you can get the idea:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Iv2PQj4NQ3I
[signature]
Maybe one day, they're kind of ugly mounted with the rail like the one shot in that video at 2:00. It looks like it barely reaches the water as well. my nose is pretty high on the water. The one thing I would use it for is for bottom fishing in deep water like for halibut in 200+. Because they wouldn't have to anchor. Would be novel if it would work out there in the big swell and wind.
[signature]