Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Idaho record bull elk
Got this pic from my son that lives in Idaho. He got it from a friend that shot it in Northern Idaho or so the story goes. Nice bull for sure but I have no other info about it.
[signature]
Good job, specially when the rifle is bigger than the shooter, LOL Nice elk though.
[signature]
Ya funny it was shot in Idaho like 5 years ago in southern Idaho around Blackfoot..
[signature]
thats a high fence bull that was shot many many years ago. nice bull none the less, but a premium was paid for it. this story has been going around for several years now
[signature]
I had a feeling there was a story behind a bull that big when my son did not have any details about it. Thanks for the info Zak.
[signature]
That is a beast of a bull. I figured it was a ranch bull. I would venture to guess it come have come of of Rulon Jones place he has up in Idaho.
[signature]
Rulon Jones has a ranch in Idaho too? I heard he had one in Utah but it sound like he has expanded.
[signature]
Kind of weird how he took that pic so far back and put the gun up front. If he was trying to make the elk look bigger, he should have held the rifle where he was but that elk is so big, there was no need to do that.
[signature]
Maybe he is just little feller.[Wink]
[signature]
               O.C.F.D.
[Image: download.jpg]
Yea, he has had it for a number of years!
[signature]
Of course that could be true but I doubt it, at least from what it looks like.
[signature]
Maybe he decide to expand his operation after he got in trouble here in Utah[:/].
[signature]
Rulon has 2 ranches one in Eden Utah, and Blackfoot Idaho. He also has a large lease in Mexico..
[signature]
Wow, he really has expanded his operation, thanks for the info.
[signature]
I just saw this post. I rarely look at anything but the fishing stuff. But I had to respond because I used to be so close to Rulon and his whole family. I first saw the dad Larry Jones and oldest boy Richard when I was in Jr. High school. They brought a hunting movie called "The Great Call Of The Wild" to Roy Jr. High, my school. The absolute best school assembly I remember as a kid. Then after I graduated from High school I started working for a Machine shop in the Freeport Center called Murdock. And I met Jimmy Jones there. He had just graduated from Weber High. And that fall I won the big buck contest at work with a 32 inch 7 points on one side and eight on the other buck. And me and Jimmy became best friends. I watched Rulon play high school basketball and football. And me and Jimmy seen as many of his College games as we could. I became great friends with Richard and dad Larry and their mom treated me like family also. I was at Rulon and Kathy's wedding and I went to Denver and stayed with Rulon at his house and seen him play a Monday night football game. (to be cont.)

And when Rulon retired from football and bought the Broadmouth property I helped him, Guiding when needed but mostly guarding his property from trespassers and hauling all the deer out on horses. Mostly his hunters were paying to hunt with him then.
And strangely I had already moved to Blackfoot when I found out Rulon had bought the land here.
I'm the best elk bugler and cow caller that I have ever hunted with. So of course Rulon asked me to work for him, and at first I agreed. I got certified with red cross training to be a guide. But I just couldn't bring myself to do that high fence thing. Stuff like: Hiking the hunter all over the mountain for two days where there are no Elk and on the third day take him to the elk. So phony. So they can say " It might have been a fenced area, but we had to work our buts off." And after we get them a nice bull, get the hunter back to the lodge, and get the meat to a butcher, we have to go back in, in the middle of the night, and haul the gut pile out of the high fence area. And other deceitful things that I just couldn't do.
(09-08-2021, 07:17 PM)fast_randy Wrote: I just saw this post. I rarely look at anything but the fishing stuff. But I had to respond because I used to be so close to Rulon and his whole family. I first saw the dad Larry Jones and oldest boy Richard when I was in Jr. High school. They brought a hunting movie called "The Great Call Of The Wild" to Roy Jr. High, my school. The absolute best school assembly I remember as a kid. Then after I graduated from High school I started working for a Machine shop in the Freeport Center called Murdock. And I met Jimmy Jones there. He had just graduated from Weber High. And that fall I won the big buck contest at work with a 32 inch 7 points on one side and eight on the other buck. And me and Jimmy became best friends. I watched Rulon play high school basketball and football. And me and Jimmy seen as many of his College games as we could. I became great friends with Richard and dad Larry and their mom treated me like family also. I was at Rulon and Kathy's wedding and I went to Denver and stayed with Rulon at his house and seen him play a Monday night football game. (to be cont.)

And when Rulon retired from football and bought the Broadmouth property I helped him, Guiding when needed but mostly guarding his property from trespassers and hauling all the deer out on horses. Mostly his hunters were paying to hunt with him then.
And strangely I had already moved to Blackfoot when I found out Rulon had bought the land here.
I'm the best elk bugler and cow caller that I have ever hunted with. So of course Rulon asked me to work for him, and at first I agreed. I got certified with red cross training to be a guide. But I just couldn't bring myself to do that high fence thing. Stuff like: Hiking the hunter all over the mountain for two days where there are no Elk and on the third day take him to the elk. So phony. So they can say " It might have been a fenced area, but we had to work our buts off."  And after we get them a nice bull, get the hunter back to the lodge, and get the meat to a butcher, we have to go back in, in the middle of the night, and haul the gut pile out of the high fence area. And other deceitful things that I just couldn't do.
Wow Randy, that is a great Rest of the story report there. Very cool that you were friends with that family but too bad about the deceitful hunting practice, do they still do that on their property?
Curt, not really deceitful practices. It's all to try to get the hunters to think they get a wilderness hunt inside the fence. Things like: When we do let the Hunter shoot, I have to make the Hunter stay there while I go over and remove the ear tags, so the Hunter doesn't see them. Each ranch that raises Elk has there own ear tags. So when Rulon buys bulls from somewhere they may have several ear tags. And say they have paid $3000 for a 300 class bull. But then the Hunter shoots A 350 class $10,000 bull. 
The guide is responsible to pay Rulon the difference. 
However, I heard his good guides make over $70,000 working 2 months.

If you don't mind I'd like to tell you about Larry the dad. The first Larry Jones. 
Almost any Elk Hunter has heard of Larry Jones from Oregon. He makes calls and moveis. But Larry Jones from Utah was an amazing man and was one of the first people to make hunting and wild life movies. He was a personal friend and hunting partner with Fred Bear. I told you about seeing "The Great Call of The Wild" in jr. high. Years before I became part of the family. Well that has lots bow hunting Alaska. And in it he shoots the world record Polar Bear and I think record big horn sheep. Or maybe Dall Ram. And he had four or five other movies. One of them he went up on the mountain and camped all Summer with the Big Horn Sheep. I mean right in the middle of the herd. And would climb out of his pup tent in the morning and feed full curl rams right out of his hand. He was one of my first heros.
RIP Larry.