Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Millsite - Softwater season is almost gone
A buddy and I went over to fish Millsite Reservoir today in our tubes. We pulled up to the boat ramp about 10:30 and my buddy was so happy that the lake was calm. The only problem was it was capped.[Wink]

We drove to the west side and down along the shoreline and were able to find about 15' of shoreline that wasn't iced up. About 2/3 of the reservoir was covered with ice but there was a good portion that was open water across to the north side.

We were using fly tackle with both medium and fast sinking lines and size 6 & 8 crystal buggers in black/orange/pearl, tan/green/pearl, white/with a red UV polar chenille rib, and in black/red. Most of the fish came from water between 10' - 18' deep.

We picked up two cutthroats and the rest were rainbows in the 13" - 16" range. The water temperature was 34-36 degrees and the visibility in the water of about 4'. The reservoir level is at 37% full and rising slowly.

We fished until 3:00 and then it was quite a chore just getting back out of the water without taking a bath. The air temperature never did get above freezing.

As a side note, we drove by Huntington North on our way home since the web site camera has quit working to check the water. The reservoir is fully capped with ice.[:/]
[signature]
[#0000FF]Glad you found some open water...and some willing fishies. Good to know I'm not the only hardcore tubeaholic on the board.
[/#0000FF]
[signature]
How is the fill level this fall. Curious if they were able to hold much water with the construction on going and the ag demand
[signature]
Never mind, I just reread your post and see the 37% number. That is about what I figured
[signature]
[quote TubeDude][#0000FF]Good to know I'm not the only hardcore tubeaholic on the board.
[/#0000FF][/quote]

Thanks, Pat.

We're just lucky that our wives have not had us committed.[Wink]
[signature]
[quote gofish435][quote TubeDude][#0000ff]Good to know I'm not the only hardcore tubeaholic on the board.
[/#0000ff][/quote]

Thanks, Pat.

We're just lucky that our wives have not had us committed.[Wink][/quote]

[#0000FF]With apologies to Bill Shakespeare...Whether 'tis nobler to suffer the slings and arrows of outrageous husbands, or by committing end them.[/#0000FF]
[signature]
Sorry, Pat my knowledge of Shakespeare doesn't go much past the Ugly Stik.[Tongue]
[signature]
You guys make me laugh. [Smile]
[signature]
The older I get the more I would rather be considered a good man than a good fisherman.

[#0000FF]Hey, Mr. S. must have been a fisherman. He had Hamlet saying "To sleep, perchance to dream of fishing. Ay, there's the chub." He must have liked to use the LHBE minnows too.[/#0000FF]
[#0000FF]
[/#0000FF]
[#0000FF]At least I think that's how it goes. My definition of education is that which you have left after forgetting all the useless stuff you had to learn to pass tests. Part of my book-larnin' was memorizing some of Hamlet's soliloquies. It's possible that the passage of (much) time may have warped my rememberies.[/#0000FF]
[#0000FF]
[/#0000FF]
[#0000FF]Hey Tom, sorry about the hard left turn on your post. If it's any consolation, you don't need to know shakespeare to be a good fly flinger. But some knowledge of Sage is good.
[/#0000FF]
[signature]
I can't believe that dam repair is still not done. Its over a year past the originally completion date was suppose to be.

They really should dredge out the lake while its down and make it a little deeper. It a very shallow lake. Both farmers and fisherman would benefit from it.
[signature]
[quote WingNutt]I can't believe that dam repair is still not done. Its over a year past the originally completion date was suppose to be.

They really should dredge out the lake while its down and make it a little deeper. It a very shallow lake. Both farmers and fisherman would benefit from it.[/quote]

It's a government job, what can I say?

The contractor has been waiting for the best and brightest of the BOR to resolve some issues with the spillway.

They were supposed to dredge and flush some of the sediment while they were draining the reservoir but that didn't work so well either.
[signature]
[quote TubeDude]Hey Tom, sorry about the hard left turn on your post. If it's any consolation, you don't need to know shakespeare to be a good fly flinger. But some knowledge of Sage is good.
[/b][/#0000FF][/quote]

That's okay, Pat.

A person with sage, such as you comes by it through education and time, I can only purchase it at the fly shop.[Wink]
[signature]