Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Cabo Bite Report
[font "Times New Roman"][center]Capt George Landrum[/center] [center]Fly Hooker Sportfishing[/center] [center]gmlandrum@hotmail.com[/center] [center]www.flyhooker.com[/center] [left][/left][/font][font "Times New Roman"][size 2] [center] [/center] [center] [/center][/size][/font][font "Times New Roman"] [left]CABO SAN LUCAS FISH REPORT FOR FEBRUARY 22-28, 2003-04[/left] [left][/left] [left] [/left] [left] [/left] [left]WEATHER: On and off winds this week as it seemed that every other day it became gusty. This kept the daytime highs down to the mid 80’s and the nighttime lows around the low 50’s. No cloud cover, bright sunny skies almost every day, and no rain. The winds were from the north and west and there were times when we had gusts to 25 knots, but for the most part they were in the 10-15 knot range.[/left] [left][/left] [left]WATER: Water on the Pacific side remained in the high 60’s all week. Warmer water was 40 miles and more to the west. There was water in the to the south of us at around 15-20 miles and to the east at 30 miles. Gorda Banks had warm water in the 73 degree range all week, with cooler water up against it. There was a good temperature break on the 1150 spot for a few days during the end of the week. Surface conditions changed day to day, depending on the gusty winds, but the Pacific was pretty choppy for the most part, at least in the afternoon, while the Sea of Cortez remained somewhat calmer. On Friday, the Cortez side was like glass in the morning but got choppy in the afternoon as the wind started blowing.[/left] [left][/left] [left]BAIT: Almost all the bait this week was Caballito at the normal $2 per bait.[/left] [left][/left] [left]FISHING[/left] [left][/left] [left]BILLFISH: There were very few Marlin caught this week and the Striped Marlin that did hit were mostly caught on lures. They were found in the cooler water on the Pacific side and averaged #110. Darker colored lures seemed favored. I had reports of Swordfish being sighted and baited, but none hooked or landed. All the sightings were on the Pacific side, up the coast towards the Golden Gate Banks.[/left] [left][/left] [left]YELLOWFIN TUNA: These fish may become the fish of the month if they stay around. There were good concentrations found around the 1150 spot, the 95 spot and 14 miles to the south of the Cape, as well as on the San Jaime. Every area had the Tuna associated with Porpoise, and every area held some nice fish. There were a lot of football sized Tuna in there, but there seemed to be just as many fish in the 40-60 pound range. On the 1150 there were a few fish in the 100+ pound range caught as well. Feathers in darker colors for the smaller fish and dark colored medium sized lures for the larger fish. I had some one tell me they found their fish stuffed with krill and others told me theirs were stuffed with squid.[/left] [left][/left] [left]DORADO: We did not see the numbers of Dorado this week that we were seeing last week and that may very well be due to the absence of the kelp that was here last week. With fewer floating objects, the bite fell off. There were fish found just off shore on both the Pacific and Cortez side, but they were smaller 10-15 pound fish for the most part, and hit on Tuna feathers.[/left] [left][/left] [left]WAHOO: I only saw three Wahoo flags all week and did not get a chance to see any of the fish or talk to any anglers or Captains who caught them. [/left] [left][/left] [left]IN SHORE: What happened to the Sierra? They all but disappeared from our area, but there are reports of a good bite farther up the Sea of Cortez. In their place, there was good action on Pargo once again, close to the beach on the Pacific side. Other than that, the inshore action has been limited to an occasional Dorado and some smaller Skipjack, Amberjack and Needlefish.[/left] [left][/left]

NOTES:
Humpback Whales are still put there, but I have not seen as many Gray whales this week. There was a good bite on giant Squid on Thursday and Friday, some of the Squid going to 50 + pounds. This weeks music was Crosby, Stills, Nash and Young on the 1974 Atlantic release "Deja Vu".[/font]
[signature]