Thread Rating:
  • 1 Vote(s) - 4 Average
Getting into summer fishing
Now that the spring hatches and stuff are over, my beginner fishing is getting harder. As I understand it, lake fish are mostly withdrawing to deeper and different waters--which is hard for me to follow to when I'm a shore fisher at relatively small reservoirs. A lot of the shoreline at local fishing spots can be pretty shallow and weedy and I don't know how to fish well in those situations yet. But the point is, I'm struggling to figure out how to keep up decent catches.

My rod's 6', 6'.5 (it's in the car and I can't be bothered to check exactly right now), and I use 10lbs-proof line. Simple, cheap glow-in-the-dark jigheads, soft plastic baits that i modify, a couple spinners, some Powerbait, and a little topwater popper make up most of the lure tools in my tacklebox, since I mostly bottom-fish for now. I've been pretty successful with bringing in rainbow trout somewhere over a foot long, medium-small sunfish, and the occasional smallmouth somewhere over a foot long. I'm not too ambitious of a fisherman yet, but it would be fun to start reeling in bigger stuff, of course. There are muskies around somewhere.

Does anyone have suggestions for tackling summer fishing? I'm on a very tight budget, but I'm a patient learner and even enjoy DIY tackle and rigs.

Messages In This Thread
Getting into summer fishing - by little_desert_lakes - 06-24-2020, 09:41 AM
RE: Getting into summer fishing - by SenkoSam - 08-15-2020, 01:42 AM
RE: Getting into summer fishing - by bahar - 12-12-2020, 04:15 PM
RE: Getting into summer fishing - by dandanel - 11-15-2021, 04:34 AM
RE: Getting into summer fishing - by SENKOSAM1 - 11-15-2021, 01:00 PM
RE: Getting into summer fishing - by phknnutt - 07-08-2022, 03:19 AM
RE: Getting into summer fishing - by wiperhunter2 - 07-08-2022, 12:27 PM