Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Help my brother score his first spike?
My older brother (now 51) got back in to hunting about 5 years ago. He still hasn't scored on a big game animal yet, despite working his butt off during archery seasons and drawing a cow tag a couple years ago. 

This year he has multi-season spike elk tag, but aside from a few days last year (where I had a great time not seeing any elk) I have only hunted archery seasons for the past 28 years or so.  So, I'm useless.   

Can anybody point me somewhere, generally?  We've got good legs, and don't mind work.  He just wants crack at a spike.  I have no idea where to look this time of year as far as elevation, terrain, etc.  Oak brush canyons? Still up high?   I know some areas that are lousy with elk, but where do I look now that a rifle elk AND rifle deer season have happened?  Did any deer hunters spot any elk?  

Currently, our only idea is to pick a canyon up around Currant Creek, and lay down some boot leather/glass.  While he does that, I MIGHT try bivouac-ing way at the back of a WMA like Wallsburg or Strawberry River.

Thanks.
I haven't hunted elk in a few years now but I know a few people that hunt the watcatch unit, I think it is called, it's below wolf creek.
Thanks, Wiperhunter. That's kind of one of the basic areas we were going look. Possibly Upper Currant Creek, too, and possibly south side of Strawberry Res.

I was mostly hoping more for tips about wat kind of terrain and cover, elevation, etc to liik for them.

Looks like the snow isn't deep up high, though, so we'll hit te high aspen/pine pockets out of te way of rifle deer hunters, I guess.
Looks like he needs to go to upper Provo canyon. There is a post on FB of a large herd of elk in that area.
Are you referring to the muzzleloader spike tag now that all the rest of the seasons have ended?
Yes. He got the multi-season spike tag. Hunted ard on the archery. Couldn't get away on the rifle portion. Spike muzzleloader starts Wed.

(10-26-2020, 04:13 PM)kentofnsl Wrote: Looks like he needs to go to upper Provo canyon.  There is a post on FB of a large herd of elk in that area.
  Kent, is that a spike area?   Sounds like Uinta's to me?
(10-26-2020, 11:18 PM)Springbuck1 Wrote: Yes.  He got the multi-season spike tag.  Hunted ard on the archery.  Couldn't get away on the rifle portion.  Spike muzzleloader starts Wed.

(10-26-2020, 04:13 PM)kentofnsl Wrote: Looks like he needs to go to upper Provo canyon.  There is a post on FB of a large herd of elk in that area.
  Kent, is that a spike area?   Sounds like Uinta's to me?

I have no idea.  There was a video of a large herd of elk walking through a new residential area and it was referred to as "upper Provo canyon".