Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Florida check in......
Hey folks,

Thought I’d pop in for a quick update, I’ve been in Florida for a little over a month and have been pretty busy with the new job, I should start having more time off in the next few weeks, I have been fishing a little bit when I have the chance, mostly I just fish the beach and some passes when I go out with the family haven’t had any dedicated fishing days (yet). I live about 20 minutes from the gulf so I’m very close, I did find a honey hole yesterday that is about 10 minutes from my house, it is the outflow canal of Lake Tarpon that flows into upper Tampa Bay at Safety Harbor.

I got there about 0730 and there were Tarpon rolling everywhere, I would say in the 15-20 # range but I could not get them to eat, stayed for a few hours but was getting frustrated. The banks are very overgrown with mangroves and I was kicking myself for not bringing my kayak. It is large enough for a boat and when I get my skiff I think I will be hitting this spot a lot. I ran into a local guy who was dragging his kayak down and he gave me the inside scoop he also showed me picture after picture of the large (up to 40”) Snook he has caught here, along with large Tarpon and Jacks. He did warn me of a resident 10’ gator that patrols the area also. After speaking with him and seeing the Tarpon keep rolling I got juiced back up, I walked up the spillway where the fresh water from Lake Tarpon enters the saltwater and watched a well over 100 # Tarpon feeding in the plunge pool.

I finally managed a decent Snook once the tide changed. Started to get hot and headed home, I will definitely start figuring out the tides and the best way to fish this spot in the near future.
[signature]
Thanks for the report. The snook look like a fun fishy to target and catch. I can only imagine the scene with the tarpon. Good luck!
[signature]
I've never experienced fishing anything like that. It sounds like you could really have some remarkable water very close by. Thanks for the update and be careful of that alligator!
[signature]
There is water everywhere!! And fish in all water. This spot I found is crazy, so many fish and so close. Once I get my boat things will really open up. Thinking I need to up my game from my 8 weight.
[signature]
The big Tarpon will humble a 10 wt and I used to attack them with an 11. The 8 is perfect for most snook. Use your 5 for chilads (make great fish tacos).

I also wouldn't trust that gator, they are everywhere and their ability to sneak up on you is unbelievable and unexpected for a Utahn. Certainly don't make a lot of commotion or noise. You drag a net around, they think it's a bird and will try to eat it. They will swim underneath you and then let out a few bubbles and surface, right there, like 3' away. Unnerving.

Good thing is they don't care for salt water, which is a good reason to stay in the salt, IMHO. Those interfaces you mentioned are Tarpon hotspots and occur in hundreds of places. Pretty much everywhere fresh water that is being held back enters salt or brackish water. Not much holdback is needed, just a few inches above high tide is enough.

Good luck, be careful and start each day with a white clouser...
[signature]
Good info. Thanks
[signature]
Nice snook Mike! Now Troll forgot to warn you there are saltwater crocs in South Florida. Rare to make it that far north. Only occasionally seen above the Everglades but not impossible. All the ones I’ve encountered have been from Flamingo to 10,000 Islands. While Crocodiles and alligators can be unnerving the are incredibly limited in their response to their surroundings. Give them respect, obviously don’t feed them and forget about wading in fresh or brackish water. I’ve been within 10 feet of thousands of alligators and they have never been the least bit interested in me. Lightening is far more of a risk to fishermen in Florida so keep that in mind every day especially in the Summer.
I’ve had days when tarpons are feeding everywhere and I couldn’t manage a single strike. I’ve never actually gone to fish for tarpon it’s just that they were there. Maybe carry a few tarpon toad flies with you just in case. A lot of new challenges with fishing down there. Enjoy it!
[signature]
Been doing some scouting, finally done with the 5 day a week thing, on 4 10’s now so I should have some time to fish. Checked out Safety Harbor on Tampa Bay, about 10 minutes south of my house. Looks like some nice flats and mangrove creeks. A guide buddy of mine is looking to unload his boat and pick up a new one, funny because the one he is selling is brand new (10 hrs on motor). I think I just may take it off his hands. More reports to come once I really start fishing.
[signature]
I'll be seeing you in couple months. Stoked to live down there for a bit and fish the ocean with you[Wink]
[signature]
Mike, it appears you will be living the dream. Sweet looking boat.
[signature]
Hey Mike,
Are you feeling any bands of rain or wind yet from the Hurricane in the Gulf? Right now it looks like they’re predicting it to hit Apalachicola or further west on the Panhandle. Put the rod away and try out the waves if you have access to a surf board for the next day or 2.
[signature]
Been keeping an eye on it, looks like it will miss the Tampa area, maybe a few feet of storm surge, looks like the panhandle is gonna get it though.
[signature]