Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Not bass!
So, as most of you have figured out I have moved to Florida, my new house has a pond in the backyard. It’s residents are a big gator and what I thought were a bunch of bass. Well I fished it for a bit today and hooked into a bunch of what I think are Tilapia. All I know is they smell like high heaven. Put up a good fight on the fly rod and since it’s 100’ from my back door, I’m good.
[signature]
Will a gator take a fly?[Wink]
[signature]
The smell is probably coming from years of build up of herbicides and pesticides in Florida’s urban ponds. The fish takes that crap up. What ever you do never eat any fish from those polluted fresh water ponds and lakes. Golf course ones are the worst.
Now that you got your boat any plans to hit the Everglades out of Chokoloskee ? The south facing flats between Flamingo and Cape Sable are also nice in winter but I’d wait until a cold front knocks down the salt water mosquitoes to manageable levels before making the trip down there.
[signature]
[quote kentofnsl]Will a gator take a fly?[Wink][/quote]

Yes. And the line. And the rod. And the fisherman. And the boat in some cases.
[signature]
Yeah...Florida waters are loaded with Tilapia. They put up a great fight! Can't believe there aren't any bass in that pond?
[signature]
You mean we won't be fishing together again? Damn.

I moved from Florida to Utah, so I suppose you had to do the opposite. Yin-yang.
[signature]