Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Remo’s 1st live bait outing.....
So, anyone who knows me knows that I mostly fly fish or fish artificial’s and that I recently moved to Florida, I got an invite today from one of my Sgt.’s who is also a charter captain and I am not passing up that opportunity. On the water at 0600 to cast net some bait, small greenback’s and larger grunts. Greenbacks for trout and grunts for snook.

Headed to the beach and to fish some jetties, started out catching a lot of nice trout but the snook bite hadn’t started yet. A buddy was the 1st one to hook a snook, got it to the boat and it was easily 40” after a long fight it got into the motor and broke off. Didn’t get to survive though as a large dolphin hunted it down and chomped its head off, carcass floated around for awhile until some sharks came and finished it off. Next up was the Capt. who landed a nice snook, I was next and had a great fight all the way to the boat, looked like 30” came unbuttoned though. We all had a few more bites but made a move around the other side of the jetty. My buddy stuck one and got it landed, as he was fighting his fish I get eaten, set the hook and broken off. Such is life I guess, I have a bit of a learning curve when it comes to live bait but it was a lot of fun.
[signature]
That sounds like a lot of fun. The size and variety of species available to you there would make fishing even more exciting, though the break-offs would likely add up over time. It must be a trick to balance the presentation against the likelihood of break-offs.
Thanks for continuing to post on the UT boards, I sure enjoy reading of your trips.
[signature]
Ya, my heart is always in Utah, and I like to keep this board informed of my adventures down here. Plus whenever a Utah member wants to fish down here I will most likely be available and want to have the best knowledge I can to get people on fish.
[signature]
I spent some time in Melbourne on my mission and loved fishing for the sea trout and all so I really enjoy your posts, it takes me back to a fun time. Thanks Jeff
[signature]
Jeff, the amount of water and fishing down here is incredible, always something to fish for at any given time.
[signature]
I’ll bet you’re having a blast with that nice boat and all. Do you catch shrimp and mullet with your casting net? I remember those fish fry’s with hush puppies and all kinds of different fish. It was sure a fun area. Wish I would’ve been a little fish smarter when I was down there, but we could only go out one day a week so probably good I wasn’t into it anymore. It’s sure fun to see your reports and if I get back down that way, I’d love to get some tips on what to try. My last trip to Orlando we took an afternoon and ran over and fished blues off the beach. It was fun but I’ll bet I was quite the amateur to the locals that knew how to do it. Anyway thanks for taking the time to post it was great! Later Jeff
[signature]
Great posts as always. We are always envious of your adventures.

My 18 year old boy wants to move to Florida or Texas just for the fishing opportunities!!!
[signature]
I really do love it down here, so many fishing opportunities.
[signature]
Sounds like a fun outing. It is always fun to try a different style of fishing. In Florida I think you can put your fly fishing to work on the Talipia in the ponds there.
[signature]
Where in Florida?
[signature]
Clearwater
[signature]
Have you noticed any surf fishing there? That's my newest fishing interest. I also bought a fishing kayak. I have heavy surf fishing equipment added to the rest of my collection, so I'm prepared for surf fishing with everything except the knowledge and a guide.

Ronald Smile
Beach fishing is huge down here and BIG fish are caught on the beach, one thing about here is that everyone fishes, everywhere.
[signature]
Yep, and pretty much all year long. Spent 13 years in South Georgia. Fished Florida canals and IW out of Jacksonville.
[signature]
"OCD = Obsessive Catfish Disorder "
    Or so it says on my license plate holder

Cool
Excellent! I'm particularly interested in the big salt water fish. I have reels up to and including the big Penn Spinfisher 10500 and surf fishing rods.

I know a lot of the bait fish and predator fish are migrational and there will be best times of the year to fish the bait balls pushed up to shore by predatory fish, but I lack that information to be able to schedule my fishing vacation and select a location. Information on that is invited.

Are there beaches that allow driving automotive vehicles on the beach sand?
[signature]
Some beaches yes, most no. Best to have a beach cart for your gear, anytime in the summer, now-September would be good for beach fishing.
[signature]