Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Yuba Reservoir 9/4 - Ice Tactics Pay Off!
On Saturday, I took my canoe down to Yuba and fished just off the Oasis ramp and to the west.  Initially no luck on the various swimbaits and other rigs I tried.  I had thrown in my ice flasher (Ice 35) and a couple of ice rods.  After switching to ice tactics (vertical jigging), I ended up catching 36 wipers (brought 6 home), 7 carp, and 1 catfish in just over 7 hours of fishing.  I used nightcrawlers with some success, but things really heated up for the wipers when I switched to mussels.

Water was 17-18 feet where I fished.  There were a few other fisherman out, and several members of the power squadron showed up, but it wasn't horrible for a holiday weekend.  Boats were still being launched on the east side of the ramp.  

Only my second time at Yuba (the other was a skunk ice trip about 10 years ago), and I had a blast!  There are still plenty of fish around right now.  I'm hoping there is enough water (and fish) left there for ice fishing this winter! 

[Image: IMG-5394.jpg]

jack of all tackle, master of none
Did you use the fish cleaning station?
(09-05-2021, 06:19 PM)doitall5000 Wrote: Did you use the fish cleaning station?

No, I brought those home.  I do think I may need to invest in an electric fillet knife.

Sounds like a party Brett. Why do you think the different tactic worked better? Were they biting real light? Or was it the fact that you could see them coming so you were ready for the bite?
(09-07-2021, 02:08 AM)EyLayo Wrote: Sounds like a party Brett. Why do you think the different tactic worked better? Were they biting real light? Or was it the fact that you could see them coming so you were ready for the bite?

Thanks Shawn.  It was one of the funnest fishing days I've ever had (helped that I didn't catch any rainbow trout...).  

Seeing the fish and the depth helped for sure.  I could especially see them come up to the jig and/or get the jig down or up to them, just like ice fishing.  The bites weren't super light, especially after I switched to mussels.  I compare the early part of the day to ice fishing before I got a flasher - just throwing and hoping.  Of course, I had to be sitting still for the flasher to really work.  I probably stayed anchored in one spot for 4 or 5 hours and the fish kept coming to me.

I think pound for pound, the carp put up the best fight, but they all fought well.  Definitely fun on an ice rod and I really had to use the drag to avoid busting a line (surprisingly, I caught 44 fish on the same two jigs and that rarely happens while ice fishing).

What are your plans for the elk hunt?

And this is why I jig probably 80% of the time when fishing!
(09-05-2021, 04:31 PM)joatmon Wrote: I used nightcrawlers with some success, but things really heated up for the wipers when I switched to mussels.

Yuba is close to home so this would be a good trip for us.
You said you were using mussels.  If you would please share a bit about where or how or what kind.
I'm totally in the dark about em.
(09-07-2021, 08:06 PM)PACMEN Wrote:
(09-05-2021, 04:31 PM)joatmon Wrote: I used nightcrawlers with some success, but things really heated up for the wipers when I switched to mussels.

You said you were using mussels.  If you would please share a bit about where or how or what kind.

I bought the frozen mussels at Walmart (Sam's Choice), cooked but still in the shell (see photo).  I just took them out of the bag one at a time as needed and dipped them in the water until thawed enough to get the mussel out of the shell.  Since I had on a couple of small ice jigs, I had to be creative.  The first couple I just hooked through the tongue (small darker meat inside the mussel) and let it hang below my jig.  Basically just donated those first few to the wipers.  Then I made an adjustment to hook through the tongue of the mussel, then took a half hitch around the rest of the mussel to keep it hanging above the jig.  This caused a few deeper hooksets on aggressive bites, but still in the mouth and not in the gills or throat or tongue.  I had to use forceps to release about half of the wipers caught on mussels this way.  I have tried hooking mussels on with small rubber bands and magic thread the one other time I went wiper fishing, but had neither of those with me at Yuba.

[Image: mussels.jpg]

(09-07-2021, 03:20 PM)joatmon Wrote:
(09-07-2021, 02:08 AM)EyLayo Wrote: Sounds like a party Brett. Why do you think the different tactic worked better? Were they biting real light? Or was it the fact that you could see them coming so you were ready for the bite?

Thanks Shawn.  It was one of the funnest fishing days I've ever had (helped that I didn't catch any rainbow trout...).  

Seeing the fish and the depth helped for sure.  I could especially see them come up to the jig and/or get the jig down or up to them, just like ice fishing.  The bites weren't super light, especially after I switched to mussels.  I compare the early part of the day to ice fishing before I got a flasher - just throwing and hoping.  Of course, I had to be sitting still for the flasher to really work.  I probably stayed anchored in one spot for 4 or 5 hours and the fish kept coming to me.

I think pound for pound, the carp put up the best fight, but they all fought well.  Definitely fun on an ice rod and I really had to use the drag to avoid busting a line (surprisingly, I caught 44 fish on the same two jigs and that rarely happens while ice fishing).

No tags for me this year. Thinking about snagging a landowner cow tag. You doing multi season again?
(09-10-2021, 02:11 AM)EyLayo Wrote:
(09-07-2021, 03:20 PM)joatmon Wrote:

No tags for me this year. Thinking about snagging a landowner cow tag. You doing multi season again?
No, I got hung up online and had to have Craig buy me a license at CAL Ranch.  Forgot to tell him to get the multi season, so just rifle season any bull.  Also have a cow tag for South Slope Yellowstone for December (could fill it during the rifle any bull season).  My daughter has one out there at the same time, so will try to get her one early so I can get to ice fishing!

(09-08-2021, 07:18 AM)joatmon Wrote:
(09-07-2021, 08:06 PM)PACMEN Wrote:

I bought the frozen mussels at Walmart (Sam's Choice), cooked but still in the shell (see photo).  I just took them out of the bag one at a time as needed and dipped them in the water until thawed enough to get the mussel out of the shell.  Since I had on a couple of small ice jigs, I had to be creative.  The first couple I just hooked through the Tongue (small darker meat inside the mussel) and let it hang below my jig.  Basically just donated those first few to the wipers.  Then I made an adjustment to hook through the Tongue of the mussel, then took a half hitch around the rest of the mussel to keep it hanging above the jig.  This caused a few deeper hooksets on aggressive bites, but still in the mouth and not in the gills or throat or Tongue.  I had to use forceps to release about half of the wipers caught on mussels this way.  I have tried hooking mussels on with small rubber bands and magic thread the one other time I went wiper fishing, but had neither of those with me at Yuba.

[Image: mussels.jpg]

Thanks I'm gonna give this a try.
(09-10-2021, 02:54 PM)joatmon Wrote: EyLayo
joatmon

No, I got hung up online and had to have Craig buy me a license at CAL Ranch.  Forgot to tell him to get the multi season, so just rifle season any bull.  Also have a cow tag for South Slope Yellowstone for December (could fill it during the rifle any bull season).  My daughter has one out there at the same time, so will try to get her one early so I can get to ice fishing!

Good luck to ya. Plenty of time to ice fish. Make sure you get her tag filled first
There is a good knot that will help you hold the mussels on the hook. Go to YouTube and look for "the egg loop knot" watch the video. It holds the mussel on the hook.
(09-21-2021, 01:05 AM)doitall5000 Wrote: There is a good knot that will help you hold the mussels on the hook. Go to YouTube and look for "the egg loop knot" watch the video. It holds the mussel on the hook.

Thanks for the hint!  I just checked it out a couple of videos and will need to try it one of these days.  I see some ways it could help with short strikes on cut bait as well, without adding a stinger hook.  Thanks again.