Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Pineview Ice
Went to Pineview this morning.  There were a few people fishing.  Access is very limited and mentioned in previous posts.  Talked to one group on my way out.  They were in 15' of water, 3" of ice, no fish.  I went about 20 yards farther out to get into deeper water and the ice was about 2.5" and not too strong.  Decided to leave and come back another day.  Slush monster was huge, edges were wet.
We fished it last night and ice was a good 4” thick and clear. We were on the north side of the dam at the trail head parking lot. Fished in about 27’ of water and caught a ton of smaller crappies. Only a few keepers which we threw back. Great fishing!! Good ice.
(12-31-2021, 04:04 AM)Rainbowglitter Wrote: We fished it last night and ice was a good 4” thick and clear. We were on the north side of the dam at the trail head parking lot. Fished in about 27’ of water and caught a ton of smaller crappies. Only a few keepers which we threw back. Great fishing!! Good ice.

Thanks for that report, we were wondering about fishing that spot, since it does have a parking area, how was the hike down and back up from the ice?
Not bad except the tent was soaked and the sled was full of snow, very heavy.
Awesome report...yeah the low water is going to be brutal.
Any info on the access in/back out at Browning Point??
(12-31-2021, 10:30 PM)Jmorfish Wrote: Any info on the access in/back out at Browning Point??

Dubob said he drove around the lake on Monday and down that road, he said that access is open but he was just afraid he would not be able to turn around at the end because he would be pulling his trailer that has his snow dog in it. From the sounds of it anyone not pulling a trailer should be fine but that small area will fill up fast, now that there is limited parking around the lake.
It looked like they are plowing the pullouts around the narrows so that might work for a trailer if you drive next to the road.
(01-01-2022, 12:53 AM)Rainbowglitter Wrote: It looked like they are plowing the pullouts around the narrows so that might work for a trailer if you drive next to the road.
Thanks for the info but the problem with that location is that it has no place that can be reached without a steep shore line, the closest location is the Port ramp and as you know, that is closed. The trailer would be used to carry a snow dog, ATV or a snowmobile.
(01-01-2022, 12:53 AM)Rainbowglitter Wrote: It looked like they are plowing the pullouts around the narrows so that might work for a trailer if you drive next to the road.
That is true.  The pullouts can be used to park a truck/trailer rig.  But the purpose of a trailer is to haul a power machine of some sort and all the pull outs are adjacent to VERY steep inclines and are NOT suitable for entry and egress to the ice with said machines.  Some aren't even suitable for walk ons.  The pull out near the dam/caretacker house and Browning Point may be the only walk on access available shortly as I don't think the Windsurfer Beach access is plowed.

The Federal government properties nation wide are supposed to be open year round for recreation.  Most are.  Pineview is one of the exceptions.  Local mangement has decided that it is too inconvienent for them to keep it open in the winter months.  They say that they don't have enough staff to maintain and police the existing facilities to prevent vandalism and trashing of the proberty. i.e., busted doors on out buildings and using out buildings as dumpsters.

I find it strange that somebody is funding the plowing of parking areas near Strawberry for winter access (Chicken Creek East & The Ladders), but there isn't any funding available to keep Pineview lots open.  Perhaps you could ask your Federal Rep/Senator why that is.  I did.  Still waiting for an answer and don't expect it to get much attention unless a bunch of folks start asking them.  Hint; Hint!   Wink

Strawberry Bay Marina is plowed open by the owners of the private company licensed to operate the lodge/store at that location.  It would be a good thing for everybody if all y'all that launch out of there pays the fee they are asking to keep it open.
Bob Hicks, from Utah
I'm 81 years young and going as hard as I can for as long as I can.
"Free men do not ask permission to bear arms."
(01-01-2022, 02:35 PM)dubob Wrote:
That is true.  The pullouts can be used to park a truck/trailer rig.  But the purpose of a trailer is to haul a power machine of some sort and all the pull outs are adjacent to VERY steep inclines and are NOT suitable for entry and egress to the ice with said machines.  Some aren't even suitable for walk ons.  The pull out near the dam/caretacker house and Browning Point may be the only walk on access available shortly as I don't think the Windsurfer Beach access is plowed.

The Federal government properties nation wide are supposed to be open year round for recreation.  Most are.  Pineview is one of the exceptions.  Local mangement has decided that it is too inconvienent for them to keep it open in the winter months.  They say that they don't have enough staff to maintain and police the existing facilities to prevent vandalism and trashing of the proberty. i.e., busted doors on out buildings and using out buildings as dumpsters.

I find it strange that somebody is funding the plowing of parking areas near Strawberry for winter access (Chicken Creek East & The Ladders), but there isn't any funding available to keep Pineview lots open.  Perhaps you could ask your Federal Rep/Senator why that is.  I did.  Still waiting for an answer and don't expect it to get much attention unless a bunch of folks start asking them.  Hint; Hint!   Wink

Strawberry Bay Marina is plowed open by the owners of the private company licensed to operate the lodge/store at that location.  It would be a good thing for everybody if all y'all that launch out of there pays the fee they are asking to keep it open.
I think there would be enough people willing to pay a fee to use the Port ramp in the Winter if it ment they would plow it and keep it open. At least as long as it wasn't as much as they charge in the Summer, around $5 would be more in line with what Strawberry charges and likely to get more people willing to pay.
Anyone been out to Pineview in the last week? What are conditions now?

Dubob - I will definitely write our Federal reps about the closures. Ridiculous that we pay taxes and access fees (Mirror Lake Hwy comes to mind, yet they don't have money to keep restrooms open or to fund a weekly trash dumpster in the winter. I believe local management are just being lazy. That's never been a Federal issue before!! ?
(01-16-2022, 02:40 PM)MWScott72 Wrote: Anyone been out to Pineview in the last week?  What are conditions now?

Fished the Narrows tonight. Ice was nearly 12 inches. 4-5 inches of cloudy on top. Super slippery. Edges were solid.
(01-17-2022, 05:05 AM)ChalkCreekUT Wrote:
(01-16-2022, 02:40 PM)MWScott72 Wrote: Anyone been out to Pineview in the last week?  What are conditions now?

Fished the Narrows tonight. Ice was nearly 12 inches. 4-5 inches of cloudy on top. Super slippery. Edges were solid.

Thanks for the update. How was the fishing?
Great - thank you. I'm also curious about the fishing. Catching perch, crappie, both or none? Wink
(01-17-2022, 05:54 AM)sliverslinger Wrote:

Question..... When you say you fished the narrows tonight, did you fish all night or just the evening hours?  Never done a night fishing trip, but am very interested to learn more about this.
(01-17-2022, 06:37 PM)Mbjones12 Wrote:

Question..... When you say you fished the narrows tonight, did you fish all night or just the evening hours?  Never done a night fishing trip, but am very interested to learn more about this.

Fishing was great. Arrived before dark to try for some perch but none wanted to play. After dark the crappie bite kicked in. Sizes from 7 to 10 inches with most of them being on the lower end. Still fun to catch. Hit my cleaning limit and packed out around 7:30.
(01-17-2022, 09:07 PM)ChalkCreekUT Wrote:
(01-17-2022, 06:37 PM)Mbjones12 Wrote:

Fishing was great. Arrived before dark to try for some perch but none wanted to play. After dark the crappie bite kicked in. Sizes from 7 to 10 inches with most of them being on the lower end. Still fun to catch. Hit my cleaning limit and packed out around 7:30.

Thank you for the info ChalkCreek.  I will have to try this some time.  I appreciate the info!
[quote pid="1128546" dateline="1642520592"]

Thank you for the info ChalkCreek.  I will have to try this some time.  I appreciate the info!
[/quote]

I did the same kind of trip twice in over the last weekend, and the fishing is pretty good. I never had it that fast, but most people around me were catching fish, and I caught maybe 50 from dark to 11:00 one night, sifting the biggest for a limit. 

It's a cool little adventure setting up with a lantern for heat in my little tent, and the crappies are willing, but the bite is SO light, you have to look for anything that looks funny, even with a spring bobber.  Glowing jigs and perch eyes, waxworms, Crappie nibbles, and sometimes regular worms work.