Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Has anyone ever seen a Ringtail in Utah?
Just read an article about one being captured in Southern Idaho around Twin Fall. Cool looking animals, Here is a pic of one and their range.

[Image: Ringtail.jpg]

[Image: range-of-the-ringtail.jpg]
Ive seen them in years past on trips to lake powell. If you leave your walking platform to your house boat out at night when at Powell, they will come right up on your house boat and rifle through your food and raise hell on the boat. After having this happen the first time, We watched at night with lights and you can see them come down to try and get back on. they are cute little critters but not afraid to come up onto the boats
(01-23-2022, 04:01 PM)RILEYFISH Wrote: Ive seen them in years past on trips to lake powell. If you leave your walking platform to your house boat out at night when at Powell, they will come right up on your house boat and rifle through your food and raise hell on the boat. After having this happen the first time, We watched at night with lights and you can see them come down to try and get back on. they are cute little critters but not afraid to come up onto the boats

Not that you would want them on your houseboat but that is pretty cool that they are that curious. Did they seem aggressive or would they just leave when they saw you? Until I saw this map I had realized they were this far north.
(01-23-2022, 02:52 PM)wiperhunter2 Wrote: Just read an article about one being captured in Southern Idaho around Twin Fall. Cool looking animals, Here is a pic of one and their range.

[Image: Ringtail.jpg]
Saw one in Zions Park the first year of the shuttle

[Image: range-of-the-ringtail.jpg]
(01-24-2022, 01:52 PM)lifeshort Wrote:
(01-23-2022, 02:52 PM)wiperhunter2 Wrote: Just read an article about one being captured in Southern Idaho around Twin Fall. Cool looking animals, Here is a pic of one and their range.
Saw one in Zions Park the first year of the shuttle

Sounds like most of them in Utah are in the Sourthern part of the state, would be cool to see one up here in the North.
My uncle caught one in a live catch trap when I was a kid. That was over 25 years ago in Sanpete County.
(01-27-2022, 09:31 PM)jamon_negro Wrote: My uncle caught one in a live catch trap when I was a kid.  That was over 25 years ago in Sanpete County.

That's cool, looks like that area is part of their range, growing up in South central Colo, it appears that is right on the edge of their range too but I never ran across one there. Would love to see one in the wild like that.
My brother and I trapped one out northwest of St George one winter. Got a bunch of grey fox too.
Live to hunt----- Hunt to live.
I had a buddy who trapped one in the mona area about 15 years ago
Seems like more of them are in Southern Utah than the North but Mona is more Northern than anyone has talked about on this thread, cool.
Like Curt I grew up in southwestern Colorado and never saw any. And although there were plenty of packrats around I never saw any of them either. Another rare and interesting animal I have seen is the Abert's squirrel. They occupy a similar range as the ringtail. Has anyone seen one in Utah? They are similar to the Kaibab squirrel which occupies a range that is just 20 x 40 miles on the Kaibab Plateau just south of the Utah border and on the west side of Grand Canyon. Anybody seen any of them?
The older I get the more I would rather be considered a good man than a good fisherman.

I see Abert Squirrels all the time on the Abajo mountains and Elk Ridge in SE Utah. Really a cool looking squirrel and beautiful.
My Dad and I saw one while hiking above Kenilworth in Carbon County about 30 years ago. I've never forgotten it.
I had never heard of a abert's squirrel, so I had to look it up, that is a cool looking squirrel.
We've seen the Aberts squirrels in Northern Arizona before you'd even get to Flagstaff when we'd make our annual trip to visit our parents who had retired in Mesa. Pretty neat to spot them in the open woodlands. So would think even Southern Utah could have them as well.
Ponderosa pine country seems to be their favorite habitat. I’ve also seen them on Boulder mountain. Talking about Abert squirrels
Saw that a wolverine was caught in Utah, been several sightings in Montana as well, they are a very elusive animal and not seen much, any history of a population in Utah?
Saw a wolverine on a pack trip in the Bob Marshall wilderness in the 80’s. Cocky bugger and not nervous around us at all. A powerful and beautiful animal. I’m sure Utah had wolverines prior to settlement.
Ok, I've never seen one, but they are mostly in the northern part of the state and around Yellowstone, might be some in the old stomping grounds, but they are pretty elusive, we were seeing wolves and their sign before they were reintroduced.
(01-23-2022, 05:39 PM)wiperhunter2 Wrote:
(01-23-2022, 04:01 PM)RILEYFISH Wrote: Ive seen them in years past on trips to lake powell. If you leave your walking platform to your house boat out at night when at Powell, they will come right up on your house boat and rifle through your food and raise hell on the boat. After having this happen the first time, We watched at night with lights and you can see them come down to try and get back on. they are cute little critters but not afraid to come up onto the boats

Not that you would want them on your houseboat but that is pretty cool that they are that curious. Did they seem aggressive or would they just leave when they saw you? Until I saw this map I had realized they were this far north.
Sorry Curt, I’ve been a little busy as of late with dealing with aging parents and hospital stays. I haven’t been able to be on here much. I got the boot from the premium board, life has been fast paced but oh well, the ringtails didn’t seem aggressive, very curious and really not afraid of anything. I’m sure they are really use to people and boats.