Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
New Float Project
I picked up a new project. 

[Image: EDD8-EA0-B-DBCE-4-FFC-ABBB-D20-D88637634.jpg]

So I don't know if this post will work or not, this is version 3 of this post, each one gets shorter because the one before didn't save to post... But in case this one does make it, I was left alone on auction day and something followed me home... It was a F&G surplus 1999 Tracker Targa 18 with a 115 hp Merc... The boat was left out in the weather for too many years so it needs a lot of rework due to sun rot.... But I'm hoping it will be a great addition to my navy someday... Maybe a little blue water capability, well big blue water capability I'm hoping anyway... May end up costing more than a good used boat by the time I get done fixing things, but at least I'll know how it's put together after I get done rebuilding it...
When things get stressful think I'll go fish'en and worry about it tomorrow!
I love the style with the walk through windshield
I'm having a terrible time making this post, this is version 4 since the other 3 really good posts all disappeared when I tried to save them... Did I ever say I hate the new forum... Well I do, my posts would be much better if the stupid thing would work.... I know it's probably the user not the system... but I didn't have these issues before...

Anyway, I was left home alone on auction day and something followed me home, always liked that line... I picked up a F&G surplus 1999 Tracker Targa 18 with a 115 Merc. It had been left out in the weather for way too long and all the seats, carpet and vinyl is totally rotted out along with major damage to the dash and some gages, but I think it has some great big water potential... Probably going to cost more than I figured, but I hope to end up with a nice boat... First projects will be new trailer tires, two of the four seats replaced and fuel lines replaced.. I think I can run it at that point. Then I'll fix the rest as time and money allows... Kind of hard to start over, I have replaced all of things on my trihull to fix it up and I just got it to where it's in pretty nice shape, but it just doesn't have the big water safety so I can fish Bear Lake without fear of being blown off... So on to the next project... So far I put in a new battery and drained 10 gallons of really old gas from the tank.. After adding new fuel and a little fiddling, I got the engine started and it sounds really good... I'm in hopes it will be a great engine, so far so good... Well I'll probably add updates as this project continues, but for now start looking for me in a new softwater ride... Later Jeff
congrats , that should buff right out ,Looks good, if you never had a windshield youll love it,
               O.C.F.D.
[Image: download.jpg]
Thanks Lifeshort, I really like that feature as well... It will be nice to use that front area as a fishing perch... I seen a 2011 Targa on the auction a couple weeks ago and really liked the layout of the Targa's... That boat was up in Washington and I didn't have anyway to find out what shape it was in so I quit bidding around $7200 and it sold around $9000... So I was feeling really bad that I missed that one. Then this one showed up in Vernal and I was able to get my nephew to check it out for me, so I dared bid a little more than I should have, but I really liked the layout of this boat. The 1999 doesn't have as much storage and the 18'er isn't quite as roomy as the bigger longer brothers... But it is also still fairly light (1200-1500 lbs) compared to the new boats at 4000+ lbs... So I think it will be a nice boat. The F&G guy that ran the boat said it was really good on the waves and took them very well... So that's kind of what I was looking for... I'm hoping this one will still work on Cutler's skinny water depth.... Measuring from the high water mark to the bottom of the engine it looks like it will need 2' of water to run, hopefully I can trim that up a little if needed in the shallow areas... Anyway I'm hoping for a boat that will work in both big water and the shallows... Hoping this one will work... Thanks Jeff

Thanks Mike, I did have a windshield, but I think this one looks a lot better than my 1973 trihull has... Hoping to put some of your tips to work in it this next spring when the eyes spawn... Don't have a bow motor yet, but something to work into... Wondering if my 9.9 Yamaha kicker would mount on the transom for trolling... I always hated having the kicker on the bracket, but this seems big enough it might fit without having to add the mount... Guess you mostly cast jigs, but since I don't know the where's to fish yet, I'll probably troll, till I find the fish to cast to.. Thanks for the well wish... J
Nice upgrade Jeff, after sticking with your old boat for so long, I'm sure you will be happy with that one. If you don't mind me asking, how much did you have to spend for this one? Can you post a link to the auction you were using?
FYI: You do know you can save your post as drafts, then bring it up later to add what you want and post it?
Hey Curt,
I got this one for $5000 plus the 5% fee and a few other tack on's got me home at approximately $5600... Dropped $340 on two seats last night and probably the same on two tires today and $30-$40 on a fuel line and clamps and I should be in business to start anyway... (Well I guess I'll have to get it licensed too, so that won't be cheap) I was on Allsurplus.com it sells the government surplus and they don't have a lot of boats, but luckily I stumbled on this one up for sale...

On my issues with the post, two times I was trying to add a picture and the whole thing disappeared... Then the next time I did a bare bones post with a picture and went in to edit it and was just hitting to post the edit and it came back with the post before I edited it, so I didn't think it had saved that one version, however it did.... Anyway I guess I finally got there, but it's too bad the original post didn't take, it was a little better, but I got some bits and pieces of each post in the end... Thanks for the well wish, I look forward to this boat... Later Jeff
I feel your frustration when posting. At times after making a post I will need to make an edit and when I save changes the format changes. Ugh

Congratulations, there's nothing wrong with having a toy like that follow you home. I know I got one too. I enjoy the changes I have made with mine and still doing some today in between the "honey do's" of course. While Amazon & Ebay can help shopping for additional must have modifications I also shop at a DIY business that supplies material for those bigger projects along with the how-to videos such as making Bimini tops or full enclosures. 

Marine Canvas: Sunbrella, Top Gun, SeaMark, Sur Last (sailrite.com) 
[Image: P3100003.jpg]
Harrisville UT
2000 7.3L F250 Superduty  '07 Columbia 2018 Fisherman XL Raymarine Element 9HV 4 Electric Walker Downriggers Uniden Solara VHF
Bduck, is the Sunbrella worth the premium price you pay?
The older I get the more I would rather be considered a good man than a good fisherman.

I should have asked before I ordered but anyone used these seats from Cabelas before? Reviews looked good and price was a little better than most of the seats that I really liked. Plus I had Cabela points I could use so it was actually all on my points and didn’t cost me anything out of pocket. Thanks J

[Image: EE035-F98-190-B-4-FEC-8-BA7-C9-BF5-AB2-A952.jpg]

Hey Roger thanks for those tips when I get going on the projects I'll maybe check with you on ideas of who might do the best job... So I was wondering if I could make a weather enclosure for this boat? it would sure be nice for fall/winter fishing trips... I went with Alton on Henry's in November and would have totally frozen to death in my old boat, and we were almost shedding layers in his nice cabin... Anyway I like that potential... Thanks for the tips... Jeff
(02-03-2022, 02:49 PM)SkunkedAgain Wrote: Hey Curt,
I got this one for $5000 plus the 5% fee and a few other tack on's got me home at approximately $5600...  Dropped $340 on two seats last night and probably the same on two tires today and $30-$40 on a fuel line and clamps and I should be in business to start anyway... (Well I guess I'll have to get it licensed too, so that won't be cheap)  I was on Allsurplus.com it sells the government surplus and they don't have a lot of boats, but luckily I stumbled on this one up for sale... 

On my issues with the post, two times I was trying to add a picture and the whole thing disappeared... Then the next time I did a bare bones post with a picture and went in to edit it and was just hitting to post the edit and it came back with the post before I edited it, so I didn't think it had saved that one version, however it did....  Anyway I guess I finally got there, but it's too bad the original post didn't take, it was a little better, but I got some bits and pieces of each post in the end... Thanks for the well wish, I look forward to this boat... Later Jeff

Jeff if you need a kicker mount I have a brand new one you can have.
Pete that's really nice, I'll see what it looks like and I'll get back with you. I'm hoping to not need one, but I expect that I will. I probably should get a smaller kicker motor then I wouldn't worry about hanging it on a mount. My 9.9 yamaha 4 stroke is heavy, but sure is a nice smooth running motor that will go all day on nothing for gas... Plus when stranded it has enough push to get ya home... So I'd like to keep it if i can make it work out... Thank you for a very kind offer... Jeff
Nice upgrade Jeff, that should make it easier to get out on the bigger lakes
Thanks Alan, well at least it should have a little more room for a couple to be able to fish out of it... I may have to look at the mods you did to your boat last year so you could mount the down riggers... I'm not sure how to locate mine on this boat... I may have to upgrade to a second electric rigger instead of my old manual one... The manual works on local stuff okay, but it about killed me on the gorge when the kokes were deeper and you needed to keep reeling them in and out after each fish... Boy there is a lot of stuff to rework and get added... I kind of thought this boat would have some fishing upgrades, but other than an old Lowrance fish finder it doesn't have much... I need to see if this finder is any good, I'm not familiar with the model, it looks like an early GPS model... has a separate antenna type receiver.... I'll probably just rig up my Helix so I can use it on the boat in the summer time... I am liking the portability of it on the ice shuttle, but that probably won't work very well in a boat... Guess I'll have to figure that out... Thanks Jeff
Jeff, when you get a chance post a pic of the back of your boat. I'd be very surprised if you could not mount your kicker on the transom instead of installing a mount. My boat is smaller than yours and i easily mounted my 9.9 Yamaha on it without a mount.
Nice pick-up Jeff. It reminds me a lot of mine. Same year, same color, but mine is a 17.5' Pro Deep V with a 90 hp. I think you'll really enjoy it and have some fun fixing it up and upgrading stuff, personalizing it.
The older I get the more I would rather be considered a good man than a good fisherman.

Jeff before you start buying mounts, rod holders and stuff let me see what I have in the “take off “ box that you can use. If you need to come by and look at my boat for ideas etc your more then welcome anytime. Flying home from the steelhead trip on about 25 mins

Take a pic of the fish finder and post it, take some time in figuring out how and where you want stuff also so hopefully you don’t have to remount things later. I’ve also got some rod holders if you want them for storing rigged rods out of the way and maybe some swivel bases for DR’s that could work.
(02-03-2022, 03:14 PM)catchinon Wrote: Bduck, is the Sunbrella worth the premium price you pay?

Hey Craig, Sunbrella is a choice a lot of folks makes because of its durability. It is one of the more pricier materials you can purchase, I have made that choice on my previous boat. But I have found a source in the past thru Ebay that was a lot cheaper, not sure if that source is still available. My current boat is an 07' with an aging weathered full enclosure. The material used is Top Gun which I'm impressed with it and like and apt to use it for replacing my old with. This material is another favorite that is used. The price is more reasonable but with the supply train today I'm not sure if there is a backorder for any of the materials. I will be taking my enclosure putting it on my industrial sewing (yep, I have one) restitching all seams as those are the weak areas now, do a thorough cleaning and put a protectant sealer on it so I can get another 2-3yrs use out of it. The plan is to have a new enclosure eventually made but will be doing some shopping for what I need. 
[Image: P3100003.jpg]
Harrisville UT
2000 7.3L F250 Superduty  '07 Columbia 2018 Fisherman XL Raymarine Element 9HV 4 Electric Walker Downriggers Uniden Solara VHF
PM sent
Live to hunt----- Hunt to live.
So I put my yamaha kicker on my transom along side of the big motor, it fits, but since it is a tiller control, it won't turn all the way toward the right, but looks good otherwise... I really like that motor on the transom verses a trolling motor plate. Not sure how much the limited turn will affect things, I'm sure it won't be ideal, but I know in the past I've used the main motor as a rudder that helps steer the boat while trolling, so maybe I can just run the kicker straight and steer with the main motor????

I started putting new seats in and I'm not sure I like the one I got, it's almost sitting too straight up, it needs to lean back a little more... Plus the locations of the seats make for really cramped conditions, has anyone moved the seat post locations on this type of boat before. It has metal rather than wood throughout the floor and I'm sure you don't want to hit one of those cross braces when you relocate the sockets for the seat posts... Going to have to look into this. I think I'd rather put my seats in a good spot for fishing rather than having room for four seats in the floor area. Current location works fine for hauling four folks from place to place, but you can't rotate towards the back and have room to fish, I know they usually focus on fishing from the fish platforms, but when I troll I don't like to do that from the bow, it's a lot more fun from the cabin area... Starting to see more and more things I fixed on my old boat that I'll have to change on this one to get it where I like it for the way I fish and use a boat... Sure would like to get it on the water and try a few things out... Later J