Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Bear Lake 2-12-22
Kory and I did a redo on Bear Lake yesterday.  Fished near the Rock Pile along with I would guesstimate 150 of my closest friends!  Ice had grown to 8 1/2" thick and the weather was gorgeous.  Started out in 56' of water and had zero action.  Walked 4/10s of a mile and fished in ~89' deep of water.  That was a wise move.  As happens far too often, Kory had the hot stick and he let me catch a few smaller ones.  We caught cutthroat with a few decent macks (all caught by Kory) thrown in.  We didn't find any whitefish out in that deep of water.

This mack went 28" and was eating well.  Kory also caught one that went 31 1/2", but wasn't as well fed.

[Image: Mack.png]
Good looking fish, but that's a lake trout, not a cutthroat. Thanks for the report!
I was going to say a 28" cutthroat would be a new state record... Great fish again Kent (Kory)... Thanks for the report... Jeff
PS... We went to Idaho at Chesterfield and had a rough day... Only two fish between 3 of us in 6 hours on the ice... Not very many fish even showed up on the graphs... I think we caught a third of what we seen on TV... moved 4-5 times too before we found the few we caught....
When things get stressful think I'll go fish'en and worry about it tomorrow!
(02-14-2022, 03:54 PM)ARICH7 Wrote: Good looking fish, but that's a lake trout, not a cutthroat. Thanks for the report!

You are correct!  I knew it was a lake trout, but I had a "senior moment" when I typed cutthroat. Huh

(02-14-2022, 04:00 PM)SkunkedAgain Wrote: I was going to say a 28" cutthroat would be a new state record...

Nope.  The Utah state record, for catch and release Bear Lake Cutthroat, is 31" (caught on 1/17/21, at Bear Lake).  Here is a picture of the state record.

[Image: travis-hobbs-record-catchandrelease-bear...t-trou.jpg]

(02-14-2022, 04:00 PM)SkunkedAgain Wrote: We went to Idaho at Chesterfield and had a rough day...

I can't even consider fishing anywhere else when Bear Lake is frozen and calling my name.
Went with my wife's family from Idaho so we met in the middle, other wise I would have been to BL as well... after such a slow day i was missing bear lake even more... Later J
I also fished Bear Lake on Saturday 2/12. We fished in 39-41' right on the top of the rockpile. We did pretty good. Between 4 of us we caught at least 40 whitefish, 3 cutts (one was about 5lb), and 4 cisco. We also lost a pig of a cutthroat right at the hole that had to be 7-8 lbs! Fun day! 9-10 inches of ice.
Scott did you have your operation today? Hope it went or goes well for you. J
Fished the Rock pile yesterday for a few hours. Caught 3 small cutts, 3 white fish & a monster Mack. Great day fishing.
[Image: ACEA5-D6-D-8458-4665-92-CE-94-F054-A9-F845.jpg]
(02-19-2022, 02:14 AM)Rizzo27 Wrote: Fished the Rock pile yesterday for a few hours. Caught 3 small cutts, 3 white fish & a monster Mack. Great day fishing.

Nice worrk how deep for the mac
70 fow.
(02-19-2022, 02:14 AM)Rizzo27 Wrote: Fished the Rock pile yesterday for a few hours. Caught 3 small cutts, 3 white fish & a monster Mack. Great day fishing.
Very nice! How’s the ice looking?

Congrats, that's a great Mack, did you happen to measure it?
I didn’t measure it, wanted to get her back in the water asap. I’d guess at least 32-34”. The ice is still clear & looks solid. Lots of cracking. Safe ice but it is Bear lake.
I was surprised to see guys still jigging and getting Cisco on the Rockpile yesterday. Any idea how long that typically lasts?
(02-19-2022, 04:04 PM)Rizzo27 Wrote: I didn’t measure it, wanted to get her back in the water asap. I’d guess at least 32-34”. 

Just from the looks of it that was what I thought as well, looked to be 10 to 12 lbs.
My buddy caught one a little smaller today & it measured 37” so I’d say this hog was easily 37” & my guess was 15-20 lbs. Not over 20 at all but not under 15. I’ve caught some 20+ lb lakers at the gorge & this fish was definitely getting big. The guy next to me guesses 25 lbs but it wasn’t that big.
Can anyone tell me where to access the rock pile ? 
If i remember correctly the road there is Guss rick ln.
Thanks
Pack it in
PACK IT OUT ! 
(02-23-2022, 01:56 PM)fishing4thehog Wrote: Can anyone tell me where to access the rock pile ? 
If i remember correctly the road there is Guss rick ln.
Thanks

Read this post that Scott put up, it should help:
https://bigfishtackle.com/forum/showthre...id=1100227
Take that 250 E loop road it's off the north end of the loop and you park out on the sandy beach, but it's sort of a bog to get to the parking spot... Long walk to the rock pile from there... Probably close to a mile... Took us 40 minutes to walk out and back... didn't stop much either, only around the ridge to find a safe spot to cross it... Be careful there Shawn about went swimming when the ice sheet broke loose under him and started to sink... Good idea to take a spud bar for crossing the ridges... the rest of the ice was good, except for methane vents that are always trouble... Follow tracks with caution around the visible hazards... Good luck... J
Thanks buddy.
Pack it in
PACK IT OUT !