Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
A couple hours
Got to get up to Oakley Reservoir for a bit this morning and get a couple fish. Lake looks to be in pretty good shape it's low, but up more than I thought it would be.

[Image: KIMG0712.jpg]

[Image: KIMG0713.jpg]
Thanks for the report and pics Lyle. At first glance I thought that was a bow but on closer inspection, I noticed it had a square tail, so was it a brown?
No, it was a bow. Not many places have browns around here.
Were you casting the plastics there by the fish, were you tipping it with bait?
Yes, I was, tipped with a bit of night crawler, plus had another pole with a floating jig that had quite a few hits.
Finally got out to Oakley for the first time this year. Ended the day with 9 walleyes and 13 trout. Fished between 10 and 17 ft of water for the most part. Wind was out of the South in the am, switching to the North later on. Water is lower than I have ever seen (latest trip I have ever taken there though), making launching a bit tricky. Great day to get the family on the water!
(09-05-2022, 07:19 PM)psanders71 Wrote: Finally got out to Oakley for the first time this year.  Ended the day with 9 walleyes and 13 trout.  Fished between 10 and 17 ft of water for the most part.  Wind was out of the South in the am, switching to the North later on.  Water is lower than I have ever seen (latest trip I have ever taken there though), making launching a bit tricky.  Great day to get the family on the water!

Great report, was there any size to the eyes or trout? Were you trolling or casting for them?
Nice, that sounds like a great day.
The two largest trout were just over 20" with all others falling between there and 14". Walleyes were smaller with the largest one being just under 16". Everything except the two largest trout were caught trolling. They were caught casting towards the shore (streamer).
(09-07-2022, 01:55 PM)psanders71 Wrote: The two largest trout were just over 20" with all others falling between there and 14".  Walleyes were smaller with the largest one being just under 16".  Everything except the two largest trout were caught trolling.  They were caught casting towards the shore (streamer).

Wow, nice size for both species. Were you trolling cranks or bottom bouncers?
(09-08-2022, 01:24 AM)wiperhunter2 Wrote:
(09-07-2022, 01:55 PM)psanders71 Wrote: The two largest trout were just over 20" with all others falling between there and 14".  Walleyes were smaller with the largest one being just under 16".  Everything except the two largest trout were caught trolling.  They were caught casting towards the shore (streamer).

pulling plugs...
(09-12-2022, 10:02 PM)psanders71 Wrote:
(09-08-2022, 01:24 AM)wiperhunter2 Wrote:

pulling plugs...
Next time I go up there I'll have to give that a try, was there any certain pattern of lure that worked best?
What kind of plugs were you using, I've found it best to just toss jigs.
Crazy as it seems, we have had our best luck on a size 5 Storm Smash Shad in the Wonderbread color. Also caught some on the same lure in a firetiger pattern. Have tried lots and lots of different ones (shad raps, flicker shads, etc.) and that has been our most consistent one.
[Image: Smash-Shad.jpg]
(09-22-2022, 03:47 PM)psanders71 Wrote: Crazy as it seems, we have had our best luck on a size 5 Storm Smash Shad in the Wonderbread color. Also caught some on the same lure in a firetiger pattern.  Have tried lots and lots of different ones (shad raps, flicker shads, etc.) and that has been our most consistent one. 

Thanks much for the info and the pic. Storm is one lure I almost never use, I'll have to look for them more now and buy a few. Did you buy them on line or at a local sporting goods store?
(09-22-2022, 04:01 PM)wiperhunter2 Wrote:
(09-22-2022, 03:47 PM)psanders71 Wrote: Crazy as it seems, we have had our best luck on a size 5 Storm Smash Shad in the Wonderbread color. Also caught some on the same lure in a firetiger pattern.  Have tried lots and lots of different ones (shad raps, flicker shads, etc.) and that has been our most consistent one. 

Thanks much for the info and the pic. Storm is one lure I almost never use, I'll have to look for them more now and buy a few. Did you buy them on line or at a local sporting goods store?

Had to order off of Ebay... they are not made anymore, unfortunately.
(05-09-2023, 02:12 AM)psanders71 Wrote:
(09-22-2022, 04:01 PM)wiperhunter2 Wrote: Thanks much for the info and the pic. Storm is one lure I almost never use, I'll have to look for them more now and buy a few. Did you buy them on line or at a local sporting goods store?

Had to order off of Ebay... they are not made anymore, unfortunately.

Thanks for the reply, I guess that is why I haven't seen any locally.
Hmm, I've heard a lot about wonder bread, haven't used that color yet.
Yeah, I had not really used them at all until I bought some on clearance at Cabela's a few years ago. Tried them for the heck of it one time at Oakley and found it to work better than other rapalas, flicker shads, etc. Tried to find them in stores... no go. Found a few on-line and paid a premium for them. For some reason, that size and that color continue to produce.

Other tactic that I use at Oakley (and everywhere else) is a whistler jig tipped with crawler or minnow. Chartreuse or glow have worked everywhere I have used them for walleye, perch, bass and trout.

Will be there on Saturday to give it a whirl!
(05-12-2023, 03:23 AM)psanders71 Wrote: Yeah, I had not really used them at all until I bought some on clearance at Cabela's a few years ago.  Tried them for the heck of it one time at Oakley and found it to work better than other rapalas, flicker shads, etc.  Tried to find them in stores... no go.  Found a few on-line and paid a premium for them.  For some reason, that size and that color continue to produce. 

Other tactic that I use at Oakley (and everywhere else) is a whistler jig tipped with crawler or minnow.  Chartreuse or glow have worked everywhere I have used them for walleye, perch, bass and trout. 

Will be there on Saturday to give it a whirl!
I can't remember ever using a whistler jig, so I looked it up, is this what you are talking about?
https://www.ebay.com/itm/133908688698?ha...BM5vqDg4Ji