Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Alaska hunt?
I'm trying to gather up a group to go to Alaska to hunt caribou and/or moose. Anyone interested or know of anyone who might be? It would be in August or September 2023. I have had this on my bucket list since I was 15 and that bucket is looming ever closer so I need to go next year or the one after or forget about it. I'm 69 now and I believe I can still pack a quarter of an elk so caribou shouldn't be too hard, but a moose is a whole nother animal. I'd like to take a group of four or so so we can split up the work. The cost should come in around $5-6,000 all in. Also would like to hear from anyone who has made such a trip if they wouldn't mind sharing what they know. Thanks for any help in advance.
The older I get the more I would rather be considered a good man than a good fisherman.

My Hunting partner for the past 45 years went up about 12 years ago. He got a caribou and moose tag and went into a remote camp via bush plane. The area he was in was mainly for caribou although some moose had been killed on previous trips. He didn’t see any moose and spent a lot of time out on the tundra glassing for herds of bou that move through the area. Timing was the biggest issue and although they got animals it was pretty slow as the migration/weather hadn’t moved them to this area. At the time you could use a tag for another animal that was less expensive, so he could have used his moose tag to shoot anther bou if he saw something he wanted, not sure if this is still the case
I would be very interested in a hunt like this, but probably wouldn't be able to make it work in 2023. If this gets pushed back to 2024 let me know. Even if it doesn't, and you're still looking for additional guys to go, feel free to send the info my way. Things could change and I may be able to work it out. It's on my bucket list as well!
So far I haven't gotten any committments, so it's possible we'll have to push it back to 2024. I'd still like to go next year as I'm already 69 and I'm afraid if I wait too long my health could deteriorate. I would like to get four in our group. I've about decided that I'll go for caribou: it's less expensive and a lot less labor-intensive. Packing a 400 pound caribou over open tundra is lot more doable than a 1600 lb moose through swamps and alders, etc.
The older I get the more I would rather be considered a good man than a good fisherman.