Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Wasatch LE Rifle tag
I was lucky enough to fill my tag on the Wasatch with a pretty decent bull. I passed on at least a dozen bulls waiting for a bigger bull and was down to the wire. I had decided the next branch antler I saw, I was taking. Had a couple friends calling for me and had three bulls at one time working which was crazy. I shot this one as he wasn't a spike (one of the other bulls) and he presented himself before the other bull did. Crazy thing, I shot him, a bear saw him and ran right to him. I did manage to scare the bear off by shooting trees which were near him. Couldn't recover him until the morning as we tried but just got lost in the downed timber. 

[Image: D0-C581-AA-8-DEB-4-CBF-A5-E8-B8-C470351599-1-201-a.jpg]
Nice, looks like a pretty good bull.
Great bull, looks like you got a good one. The Wasatch LE unit is a good one for some great bulls, it's actually the unit I'm deer hunting in a few weeks. Did the bear come back during the night and try an eat your kill?
(10-04-2022, 01:06 PM)wiperhunter2 Wrote: Great bull, looks like you got a good one. The Wasatch LE unit is a good one for some great bulls, it's actually the unit I'm deer hunting in a few weeks. Did the bear come back during the night and try an eat your kill?
 Alot of bear where we hunt in the Wasatch unit, counting the sows with cubs our son counted 9 different bear in the area he got his bull in. We started bow hunting this area in 2001 and it is very unusual not to see bear during our hunts. Have never had any issue with any lost meat we had to leave over night, we usually pee around the game plus leave a t shirt or hat on the carcass.
(10-04-2022, 11:42 PM)PACKFAN Wrote:
(10-04-2022, 01:06 PM)wiperhunter2 Wrote: Great bull, looks like you got a good one. The Wasatch LE unit is a good one for some great bulls, it's actually the unit I'm deer hunting in a few weeks. Did the bear come back during the night and try an eat your kill?
 Alot of bear where we hunt in the Wasatch unit, counting the sows with cubs our son counted 9 different bear in the area he got his bull in. We started bow hunting this area in 2001 and it is very unusual not to see bear during our hunts. Have never had any issue with any lost meat we had to leave over night, we usually pee around the game plus leave a t shirt or hat on the carcass.

Wow, that is a lot of bear in one unit. How many weeks or months was your son hunting or scouting there to see that many bears?
(10-03-2022, 02:04 AM)meancuznalfy Wrote: Nice, looks like a pretty good bull.

Thanks, I passed at least a dozen bulls, he was the best I could find up there. Fun hunt.

I was surprised it didn't. There were houndsman there the next day and they relayed they chased it onto some private property.
(10-05-2022, 04:19 PM)submoa Wrote:
(10-03-2022, 02:04 AM)meancuznalfy Wrote: Nice, looks like a pretty good bull.

Thanks, I passed at least a dozen bulls, he was the best I could find up there. Fun hunt.

I was surprised it didn't. There were houndsman there the next day and they relayed they chased it onto some private property.
That's good, it would have made a mess of the meat.