Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Perch Perch Perch
Hey I wanted to give you guys a heads up, The Perch are on Fire at RockPort. Come get some. We are finding big schools in 35-45 feet of water anywhere on the lake. We have been keeping 101/2 inch and above only. We all want to have a big Perch Palooza January 21 2023. I'm looking for some volunteers for at least 4 cooks with 4 different recipes that bring their cookers and cook for the people to introduce the newbies to how good Perch really is. I'll have some nice gifts for the ones who volunteer. This pic is from 2 weeks ago. We are going to duplicate it today. More pics to follow. Rockin em at Rockport-Glen.
[Image: 20220925-140054.jpg]
Glen, good to see that you are still kickin and reelin.
PM sent.
Bob Hicks, from Utah
I'm 81 years young and going as hard as I can for as long as I can.
"Free men do not ask permission to bear arms."
(10-10-2022, 12:26 PM)Pikeman 99 Wrote: Hey I wanted to give you guys a heads up, The Perch are on Fire at RockPort. Come get some. We are finding big schools in 35-45 feet of water anywhere on the lake. We have been keeping 101/2 inch and above only. We all want to have a big Perch Palooza January 21 2023. I'm looking for some volunteers for at least 4 cooks with 4 different recipes that bring their cookers and cook for the people to introduce the newbies to how good Perch really is. I'll have some nice gifts for the ones who volunteer. This pic is from 2 weeks ago. We are going to duplicate it today. More pics to follow. Rockin em at Rockport-Glen.
Hey, Glen --- Would love to help come January, but we're moving to San Clemente to be near grandkids, etc.  Selling my boat soon & pulling up stakes.  Hope you have enough ice to keep you above the waterline.  I enjoyed our times fishing together.  You are a true perch-aholic.
Wow I want some. What time of day is best?
(10-10-2022, 12:26 PM)Pikeman 99 Wrote: Hey I wanted to give you guys a heads up, The Perch are on Fire at RockPort. Come get some. We are finding big schools in 35-45 feet of water anywhere on the lake. We have been keeping 101/2 inch and above only. We all want to have a big Perch Palooza January 21 2023. I'm looking for some volunteers for at least 4 cooks with 4 different recipes that bring their cookers and cook for the people to introduce the newbies to how good Perch really is. I'll have some nice gifts for the ones who volunteer. This pic is from 2 weeks ago. We are going to duplicate it today. More pics to follow. Rockin em at Rockport-Glen.
Glen,
Glad to see you post up!
Wondering where you been.
Still working for the mine?
(10-10-2022, 02:12 PM)perchinski Wrote:
Hey, Glen --- Would love to help come January, but we're moving to San Clemente to be near grandkids, etc.  Selling my boat soon & pulling up stakes.  Hope you have enough ice to keep you above the waterline.  I enjoyed our times fishing together.  You are a true perch-aholic.
Oh bummer Sad to hear you are moving buddy. I wish the best for you. I'm lucky enough to have grandkids living in heber they are the light of our lives. Best wishes to you Glen.

(10-10-2022, 03:45 PM)doitall5000 Wrote: Wow I want some. What time of day is best?

Any day and all day. Perch love the sunshine. They fish a little more rapid on the no moon side. Glen

(10-10-2022, 04:11 PM)MrShane Wrote:
Glen,
Glad to see you post up!
Wondering where you been.
Still working for the mine?
Yes still living the dream. And hooking and cooking them. Get out there and get you some Shane. I don't think the fisherman can put a "Big enough" dent in them. That's my opinion. Glen

We went out again today and got about 50. My belief is if we don't catch a few million out of here they are all gonna stunt like echo. Please come help us. And yes youre welcome. I was pretty choosy today these were only the 10 I took home. To much work doing 50. And a little peek at my new fish finder. Thanks Glen

[Image: 20221010-080115.jpg]

[Image: 20221010-122227.jpg]
Thanks for the report, I’ve got an occasional perch, when trolling crank baits. Would you be willing to give some tips on a good vertical presentation set up?
(10-11-2022, 02:07 AM)Redrebel Wrote:
Thanks for the report, I’ve got an occasional perch, when trolling crank baits. Would you be willing to give some tips on a good vertical presentation set up?

PM sent
(10-10-2022, 02:12 PM)perchinski Wrote:
Dang Mike, I am really bummed out to hear you are moving.
You are a true gentleman to fish with and I will really miss you.
I was so hoping to get you to go to Powell one of these years with me but I sure do wish you the best!

Slip bobber and a jighead is my go to verticle presentation for perch.  Tip the jighead with a bit of worm and you should be good to go.  Use the smallest bobber that will float the jig to see the subtle takes.  Chartruse and white are my favorite color jig heads. 
You can also use a small cast master with about 6" of line, a hook and worm to drop on them.
(10-11-2022, 01:02 PM)Gone Forever Wrote:

Slip bobber and a jighead is my go to verticle presentation for perch.  Tip the jighead with a bit of worm and you should be good to go.  Use the smallest bobber that will float the jig to see the subtle takes.  Chartruse and white are my favorite color jig heads. 
You can also use a small cast master with about 6" of line, a hook and worm to drop on them.
(10-11-2022, 06:37 PM)CatJerker2 Wrote:
(10-11-2022, 01:02 PM)Gone Forever Wrote:

Looks like this thread is getting confusing. So here's my techniques that I use pounding Perch. 
My killer rig is a 1/4 ounce kast master brass perch color. I take the hook off and put a premium barrel swivel at both ends. Less tangle if you know what I mean. 16-18 inches of 6 pound flora carbon line for a leader. A size 16 trebile hook. I cut the perch meat in a 1/4 inch x 1 inch piece leaving the skin on. I run one barb thru the skin. As you jig this it looks like the little minnow following the Kast master. Take this to the bottom. One reel off the bottom. If you go 2 and 3 reels off the bottom you will catch bigger Perch. My other pole I do a 1/4 ounce jig head with the same size piece of perch meat. This being said. Remember there are good days on the calender and then slower days on the calender. I prefer 3 dys before a no moon and three days after a no moon for best catch rates.  Good luck.  Thanks Glen. 
Thanks Glenn for the detailed post and the info on the method you used to catch them, nice haul too. Looking like this Winter will be a good one at RP.
Hey Glenn, I'll have to see how things line up, but I may be able to come help with your palooza... I haven't ever fished Rockport, so may need some info on where to go and what you need me to bring... Are you looking for cooking on the ice or rewarming stuff to serve? I have the Blackstone griddle, or I have camp chefs and Dutch ovens... I'd bring the X-200 if I can use a snowmobile to pull it where you want to set up... I think you've seen my tent up on Henry's when you and Joe were working on the homemade snow dogs... Anyway sounds like fun... I could try a big pot of Pat's chowder, or perch taco's... Later Jeff
When things get stressful think I'll go fish'en and worry about it tomorrow!

Glen we'd be happy to meet up on 21 Jan. We'll bring a pot of our Fish Stew, bowls and spoons!
(10-14-2022, 05:00 PM)jjannie Wrote:

Glen we'd be happy to meet up on 21 Jan. We'll bring a pot of our Fish Stew, bowls and spoons!

Sounds good we would be very happy to have some fish stew. Thanks for your joining in. Glen