Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
South Dakota Buffalo hunting and fishing trip
[Image: Gale-Terry-SD-walleye.jpg]

Went back to Chamberlin SD a week or so ago with a friend and stayed at an old AF buddy's motel who also runs a guide business for walleye and pheasant hunts. We hadn't seen each other for 55 years since we left Mt. Home AFB Sept of 67, he headed to Thailand and I headed to Vietnam but have stayed in touch. I had applied for a buffalo hunt for a young bull or a cow on the Lower Brule Reservation. I ended up drawing a cow permit which was fine with me because I wanted a meat animal.  Ended up shooting a nice young dry cow. Had her processed at DeHaa's meat processing in Chamberlin, they did a great job. The cow weighed 551 lbs field dressed , and is very tender and tasty. Soooooo much better than the old bull I killed on Antelope Island a few years ago. I forgot to add Gary Allen offers great Walleye fishing and pheasant hunting that opened last Sat. and runs to the end of Dec. He took Terry and I out for a morning of fishing the eyes in his new Lund, back trolling (which Terry had never seen before), bottom bouncing with fathead minnows, the eyes weren't that large but hungry, between the two of us we boated 40 to 50 eyes and kept our limit of 4 each. He offers free ice cold beer and cocktails in his lounge in the evenings along with popcorn and usually some type of wild game hors d'oeuvre with lots of friendly conversation.
[Image: Gals-South-dakota-buffalo.jpg]

[Image: Gales-SD-buffalo.jpg]
Nice, I'd love to hunt one of those.
(10-18-2022, 05:53 PM)meancuznalfy Wrote: Nice, I'd love to hunt one of those.

It is really not much of a hunt, when i use to do some guiding on Deseret back in the late 80s and early 90s we had buffalo on the ranch and they weren't all that spooky, just like these on the Reservation. I like the meat on the younger animals.