Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Opening day of the deer hunt
Ira and I got up to the Wasatch unit yesterday for the deer hunt. The day started out great with clear blue skies but by 10:30 am the weather changed and it started snowing. Nothing much to report but a couple of pics I took of this odd tree, here are the front and back views, has anyone ever seen a tree like this?

[Image: funnytree.jpg]

[Image: funnytree2.jpg]
Bummer no critters were found. What elevation are you hunting? Judging from all the art work on it, seems lots of people have seen a tree like that. Ha
(10-23-2022, 11:54 PM)EyLayo Wrote: Bummer no critters were found. What elevation are you hunting?    Judging from all the art work on it, seems lots of people have seen a tree like that. Ha

Oh, we found a few deer, 5 to be exact, three does and two bucks. Not sure of the exact elevation but it's higher than Strawberry, likely above 9,000 ft. Yes, I'm sure plenty of people have seen this tree, I was just wondering if anyone had ever seen a tree like it, with five trunks coming out of one base, it was the first one I had ever seen.
Did you see anything that would lead you think the elk have started moving lower into winter grounds yet? I'm assuming they are still hanging in the high country.
(10-24-2022, 04:01 PM)EyLayo Wrote: Did you see anything that would lead you think the elk have started moving lower into winter grounds yet? I'm assuming they are still hanging in the high country.

Not while we were there but depending on how much it snowed up there, anything is possible. We did see a herd of elk up on top, while we were glassing.
Figured as much. Thanks
Looks like you found the spot.

[Image: 14074.jpg]
Live to hunt----- Hunt to live.
(10-25-2022, 03:21 AM)a_bow_nut Wrote: Looks like you found the spot.

LOL, that's funny
(10-25-2022, 03:46 AM)wiperhunter2 Wrote:
(10-25-2022, 03:21 AM)a_bow_nut Wrote: Looks like you found the spot.

LOL, that's funny

Trees get heavy snow.
Just returned from the deer hunt in Northern Utah. My hunting partner this year bagged a nice 3 point which should eat good since it spent all summer in the hay fields gorging itself. Probably seen over 3 dozen 2 points  this year. all in good shape. snow was a welcome site and definitly helped. I chose to let them all grow for the next year or two. I most likely will not draw a tag for a few years with how things are in Utah. But, it was a great time and enjoyed seeing so many bucks.