Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
New Ice Gear/Plans for 2022/23 Season
So I have been really neglectful (busy with other things) and haven't been doing my scouting for the new ideas for this ice season.  So hoping others will reply to this post with cool stuff they have seen for the new ice season that is fast approaching...  I did pick up an Okuma Ceymar bait feeder reel this year, but had my bubble burst when Matt told me I could have gotten it for $20 cheaper on Amazon... Guess I need to shop around and not trust those 20% off sales.... I  have the avenger model from Okuma as well and have really liked that one for those dead sticking opportunities, like burbot on the gorge... Other than that I haven't used the bait feeder that much ice fishing, but sure like them for catfishing...

Also let's look into preseason scouting reports or thoughts... I know the perch spotlight has shifted from Hyrum to Rockport, too bad that lakes don't stay good for very long at a time... I was having fun at Hyrum a couple years ago, but last year was really a disappointment for me...  Newton started off good last year for mixed bag of tiger muskie, bass, crappie, bluegill and tiny perch, but with the heavy pressure on such a small body of water (historically low level of water, which concentrated the fish that were left), I expect things will be really slow there this year... Maybe it will thin the perch to where they can start to grow a little bigger. I know many locations will be suffering the low water level fall out again this year, so where do you look to fish this year...

Last year gave us the first ice on Bear Lake for about five years and so I spent quite  a few of my ice days over there and never caught any monsters, but fished with a few of you that nailed some great fish last year... That was a lot of fun for me and kind of took the place of my flaming gorge trip...  Henry's treated me more than fair last year, we didn't get the usual kick off classic trip, but I went up with my in-laws on a Thanksgiving trip and ended up showing up late after a failed attempt to try a new area on the lake, but even so we ended up with like 18 fish in a couple hours... Nothing over 22", but was still a lot of fun... I don't think I did any overnight trips last year, which was sort of Sad, but I still had a fun season...  What trips are you looking forward to this year?

Anyway just wanted to tap into your anticipation for the ice season, a lot of times the getting excited about the season is half the fun of what gets us outdoors to enjoy the fun... Hope you have some great dreams and plans for the future season and hopefully we can get a chance to share the ice together someday this winter...  

If you are aware of an event like the one Pikeman mentioned in previous post, please mention them here, so folks can add that to their calendars, whether they be tournaments or get togethers, would be good to know what is happening and where...

I have had mentioned to me that we need to put together an angler tackle swap sometime, how much interest is there in this type event/ get together?  Is there more interest if we figured out how to do it virtually rather than in an actual location?  Would we want to incorporate it into the fall get together  award dinner? I think the idea was a place you could sell/ trade/ give away unwanted tackle/gear to either help others, or upgrade your gear set...  (Shameless request, if you do have gear that you want to give away, I'm looking for prizes for the catfish contest, and I could use some bling for that again this fall..)....  Always nice to help out some of our junior, or new anglers... I know I sure appreciated all the help you guys provided to me as I was getting into the fishing zone...    

Okay I better shut up and see what your thoughts are... good luck everyone on a great upcoming season... Later Jeff   
When things get stressful think I'll go fish'en and worry about it tomorrow!
Built a track sled.
Son in Law came up with a wrecked snow machine.  He pulled everything off the tunnel then I built a frame and installed the engine he got.
The sucker drags us around the ball field on an old kids sled.  I'm looking forward for some snow and ice to try the thing out.
I've got a line on another sled and if things ever slow down I'm planning on building another.
We sold off our snowmachines to switch over to using a snowdog since we really didn't do much else with the machines. Of course, we waited and waited to get one locally, but it never happened, and they didn't know when they might get another one in. We finally found one up in Idaho, so we grabbed it but never got to use it on the ice but we're looking forward to that this year. We did test it out around yard to be sure it ran well. Studded the track, got a shorter trailer after selling the longer one we had so we got it all painted inside to brighten it up and protect it and put in the trax mat to protect it from those studs. 

Think we're ready for ice season this year. We could use some nice perch fillets in the freezer.
Pacmen- I started building a tracksled last year too. Didn't make it very far before I diverted my time elsewhere. How long did it take you complete yours? Any tips? I kept all my components if i find myself wanting to finish it up. Youll have to report how it does after you get a trip or two with it.
Skunked- I think I'm going to try an ice camping trip or two this season. May not get as many day trips in. So the overnighter sound like a good way to maximize available fishing time.
Been pouring and painting a few little ice jigs that im curious to see how they work out. Caught the perch at rockport from the boat, so they should be ok. Picked up a couple jigging jackers to help keep the kids interested too
(10-28-2022, 04:13 PM)PACMEN Wrote: Built a track sled.
Son in Law came up with a wrecked snow machine.  He pulled everything off the tunnel then I built a frame and installed the engine he got.
The sucker drags us around the ball field on an old kids sled.  I'm looking forward for some snow and ice to try the thing out.
I've got a line on another sled and if things ever slow down I'm planning on building another.
Trust me on this - you're going to want to stud the track.  I have the stud source info when you're ready.   Big Grin

Selling both my flip-over shelters this year and going with an Eskimo Wide 1 XR Thermal this year.  Also going back to a NILS auger from a K-Drill this year.  Reels, rods, & tackle are all good to go with no new additions required.  Is it ice yet?  ?
Bob Hicks, from Utah
I'm 81 years young and going as hard as I can for as long as I can.
"Free men do not ask permission to bear arms."
Hey Bob may be interested in your flip over. Were you able to ride in it behind the snowdog? I wanting to find one that I can stand/ride in behind my dog without having to pull doubles. Let me know. Ps, good choice with the k drill. Haven't regretted switching away from it yet.
(10-28-2022, 07:30 PM)EyLayo Wrote: Hey Bob may be interested in your flip over. Were you able to ride in it behind the snowdog? I wanting to find one that I can stand/ride in behind my dog without having to pull doubles. Let me know.  Ps, good choice with the k drill. Haven't regretted switching away from it yet.
Sorry, but I'm about 99% sure that riding in a flip-over will not work with a snowdog.  The flip-over sled is full of canvas, seats, and tackle.  I can't think of any way to stand or sit in it to drive the dog.  I pull double, triple, or quad sleds most of the time.  Easy Peasy!
Bob Hicks, from Utah
(10-29-2022, 01:18 PM)dubob Wrote:
(10-28-2022, 07:30 PM)EyLayo Wrote: Hey Bob may be interested in your flip over. Were you able to ride in it behind the snowdog? I wanting to find one that I can stand/ride in behind my dog without having to pull doubles. Let me know.  Ps, good choice with the k drill. Haven't regretted switching away from it yet.
Sorry, but I'm about 99% sure that riding in a flip-over will not work with a snowdog.  The flip-over sled is full of canvas, seats, and tackle.  I can't think of any way to stand or sit in it to drive the dog.  I pull double, triple, or quad sleds most of the time.  Easy Peasy!
 EyLayo - I Agree with Bob, it'd be very difficult to stand in any tent sled while driving a track sled/snowdog. with all your gear that goes into/onto the tent sled. We plan to have a driving sled with some items in the snowdog area as well as driver's area, a passenger sled with some more of the gear and our 2-seat shelter. Both the driver's and passenger's sleds have swivel seats with cup holder trays so should the day be nice for sitting outside we can do that as well. We're so ready to actually check all this out this season.
Shawn we'll have to see if our camping trips align, would be fun to join you, if you'll let me catch a few anyway... I also think knowing your talents and skills, I suspect you can figure out how to make a flip over pull just fine behind a snowdog... Not knowing how strong a snowdog is, so I'm not good at making this claim, but I'd think hooking a dog in front of my X-200 and sitting on my sled deck would make a good seat to drive the dog from, if it's strong enough to pull a full size flip over... My 200 is pretty heavy, so I'm not sure the dog would have enough grunt to pull it... But I'll bet it will pull my smaller flip that is like Bob's... However, that flip might need a mod to make a spot to sit while driving the dog... But pretty sure if you wanted to do it, there would be a way... Maybe put skis on it and a standing spot on the back of that like an Iditarod sled.. (dog sled)...

Anyway I appreciate everyone's ideas and thoughts on this post, sorry been unable to post for the last few days, but this was fun to catch up on what you guys have going... I'm looking forward to the ice season... Thanks all... Jeff

So Bob, you're going to have to tell me about the new shelter idea... Is this like the Bayrunners that Matt and Skyler have been using only a little more room? I assume you're selling the Nanook and the Evo??? (Is that your other single flip over?) You didn't ever use that Nanook much did you? Seems like you got the red one soon after and I didn't ever see you use your Nanook that much, why didn't you like it, if you don't mind me asking? I've loved my Nanook for run and gun days, but since I got the x200 I haven't been using it as much because it takes longer to set up and isn't as nice (carpeted deck, higher roof, more room) as the bigger shelter, but it's sure a lot lighter and more convenient to move around and load... I guess my draw backs with the Nanook is I need the table to hold my gear and it's a slow put together table and I have to assemble everything each trip... would be nice to have stuff that stayed in place so it was fast to set up and fish... I think I need to modify my nanook to a single person fish platform instead of leaving it possible to fish two from it... Since I have the x200 now I don't need to use the smaller one to fish double, so I think I just got a new project to start working on... Maybe I'll fish the Nanook more this year... Would appreciate hearing what your thoughts are moving to the new shelter... Thanks Jeff
(10-28-2022, 03:17 PM)SkunkedAgain Wrote: So I have been really neglectful (busy with other things) and haven't been doing my scouting for the new ideas for this ice season.  So hoping others will reply to this post with cool stuff they have seen for the new ice season that is fast approaching...  I did pick up an Okuma Ceymar bait feeder reel this year, but had my bubble burst when Matt told me I could have gotten it for $20 cheaper on Amazon... Guess I need to shop around and not trust those 20% off sales.... I  have the avenger model from Okuma as well and have really liked that one for those dead sticking opportunities, like burbot on the gorge... Other than that I haven't used the bait feeder that much ice fishing, but sure like them for catfishing...

Also let's look into preseason scouting reports or thoughts... I know the perch spotlight has shifted from Hyrum to Rockport, too bad that lakes don't stay good for very long at a time... I was having fun at Hyrum a couple years ago, but last year was really a disappointment for me...  Newton started off good last year for mixed bag of tiger muskie, bass, crappie, bluegill and tiny perch, but with the heavy pressure on such a small body of water (historically low level of water, which concentrated the fish that were left), I expect things will be really slow there this year... Maybe it will thin the perch to where they can start to grow a little bigger. I know many locations will be suffering the low water level fall out again this year, so where do you look to fish this year...

Last year gave us the first ice on Bear Lake for about five years and so I spent quite  a few of my ice days over there and never caught any monsters, but fished with a few of you that nailed some great fish last year... That was a lot of fun for me and kind of took the place of my flaming gorge trip...  Henry's treated me more than fair last year, we didn't get the usual kick off classic trip, but I went up with my in-laws on a Thanksgiving trip and ended up showing up late after a failed attempt to try a new area on the lake, but even so we ended up with like 18 fish in a couple hours... Nothing over 22", but was still a lot of fun... I don't think I did any overnight trips last year, which was sort of Sad, but I still had a fun season...  What trips are you looking forward to this year?

Anyway just wanted to tap into your anticipation for the ice season, a lot of times the getting excited about the season is half the fun of what gets us outdoors to enjoy the fun... Hope you have some great dreams and plans for the future season and hopefully we can get a chance to share the ice together someday this winter...  

If you are aware of an event like the one Pikeman mentioned in previous post, please mention them here, so folks can add that to their calendars, whether they be tournaments or get togethers, would be good to know what is happening and where...

I have had mentioned to me that we need to put together an angler tackle swap sometime, how much interest is there in this type event/ get together?  Is there more interest if we figured out how to do it virtually rather than in an actual location?  Would we want to incorporate it into the fall get together  award dinner? I think the idea was a place you could sell/ trade/ give away unwanted tackle/gear to either help others, or upgrade your gear set...  (Shameless request, if you do have gear that you want to give away, I'm looking for prizes for the catfish contest, and I could use some bling for that again this fall..)....  Always nice to help out some of our junior, or new anglers... I know I sure appreciated all the help you guys provided to me as I was getting into the fishing zone...    

Okay I better shut up and see what your thoughts are... good luck everyone on a great upcoming season... Later Jeff   
Well, since I am a walleye fanatic, I am itching for Echo to freeze up this winter. Other social media has had posts of great walleye catching at Echo this year. I don't need to catch the trophy ones, but a good haul of eater-sized eyes would be fantastic. Any walleye is a trophy to me. I missed the window of opportunity for the post-spawn bite there this year. It is a closer option for me to score some walleye through the ice. I know Willard has them and that is close to where I live, but I don't feel the access there is that great and the ice is sketchy to me.  I have got them when I have targeted them on Deer creek, but that is a tough location for me to get to because of my busy life, and it seldom freezes up safely for a good chunk of time. 
Gabe
Pacmen, did you use the snowmobile engine or a briggs type motor for your homebuilt? Makes me wish I'd kept all those old snowmobile chasis I used to cut to pieces when I was working on hillclimbers... I had an old skidoo blizzard chasis that would have made a great snowdog... Put that motor in one of my Mod 1 climbers.... but the track was rolled with lots of snow clearance and it had paddles and would have made a great snow dog, but oh well maybe I need to make my old climber into a snowdog since I seem to fish instead of ride these days... Still like to use the snowmobile for pulling my junk on the pond though... If worst came to worst, I could leave my gear and still get the snowmobile off the lake or take one sled at a time... There has been a couple slush days when I've had to drop a sled or two to get moving again... I don't think I could have gotten a snowdog out of those situations very well... But maybe I wouldn't have gotten into those situations either if I wasn't riding a sled... The snowmobiles do take a lot more room to haul, so that would be nice to be able to drop the trailer, but trade offs both ways... Think I'll stick with the snowmobile for another season... I like your creativity, and would be fun to see the machine... Have fun with it... Jeff

Hey Gabe, walleye are tough to target out west, but I'm sure if one were to focus on them, that it could be done... I keep thinking about Oneida reservoir in Idaho... It's one of the few spots that i've actually been able to go after walleye and catch them... I know the ice can be sketchy because of the water level fluctuations but one year I'm going to try that pond and go with the intent to catch a walleye and then see if I could actually do it... I know it won't be easy, but I'd like to do it... Good luck on your goal this year... Later Jeff
I’m still hoping to get to Cascade after perch, probably late February to mid-March timeframe. Still trying to get a couple of other people to go along. Probably go up on a Wednesday, fish Thursday, Friday, and Saturday, then travel back to Utah on Sunday.

I’m also hoping to get up to Seeley Lake in Montana with a son-in-law and couple of grandsons. Probably make several overnighters to Flaming Gorge too. May try to figure out how to use a setline through the ice at UL. Hoping lower lakes fill up and freeze. Is that too much to ask for?

As far as gear goes, I’m looking to upgrade several reels. I might try to sell my smaller tent and barely used 10” propane auger.  Clothing wise, I’d like to get a set of bibs. But I don’t want them bulky so I look like Randy on a Christmas Story.

Jeff, I like the idea of a get together on the ice. Probably just need to set a date and place.

jack of all tackle, master of none
(11-02-2022, 03:18 AM)joatmon Wrote: I’m still hoping to get to Cascade after perch, probably late February to mid-March timeframe. Still trying to get a couple of other people to go along. Probably go up on a Wednesday, fish Thursday, Friday, and Saturday, then travel back to Utah on Sunday.

I’m also hoping to get up to Seeley Lake in Montana with a son-in-law and couple of grandsons. Probably make several overnighters to Flaming Gorge too. May try to figure out how to use a setline through the ice at UL. Hoping lower lakes fill up and freeze. Is that too much to ask for?

As far as gear goes, I’m looking to upgrade several reels. I might try to sell my smaller tent and barely used 10” propane auger.  Clothing wise, I’d like to get a set of bibs. But I don’t want them bulky so I look like Randy on a Christmas Story.

Jeff, I like the idea of a get together on the ice. Probably just need to set a date and place.
 Joatmon I'd be down for a trip to cascade this coming ice season went last year and had a blast
(11-01-2022, 02:01 PM)SkunkedAgain Wrote: So Bob, you're going to have to tell me about the new shelter idea... Is this like the Bayrunners that Matt and Skyler have been using only a little more room?  I assume you're selling the Nanook and the Evo??? (Is that your other single flip over?)  You didn't ever use that Nanook much did you?  Seems like you got the red one soon after and I didn't ever see you use your Nanook that much, why didn't you like it, if you don't mind me asking?  I've loved my Nanook for run and gun days, but since I got the x200 I haven't been using it as much because it takes longer to set up and isn't as nice (carpeted deck, higher roof, more room) as the bigger shelter, but it's sure a lot lighter and more convenient to move around and load... I guess my draw backs with the Nanook is I need the table to hold my gear and it's a slow put together table and I have to assemble everything each trip... would be nice to have stuff that stayed in place so it was fast to set up and fish...  I think I need to modify my nanook to a single person fish platform instead of leaving it possible to fish two from it... Since I have the x200 now I don't need to use the smaller one to fish double, so I think I just got a new project to start working on... Maybe I'll fish the Nanook more this year... Would appreciate hearing what your thoughts are moving to the new shelter... Thanks Jeff
Jeff,

I have no problems with either the EVO1 or the Nanook.  The EVO1 has lots of fishing room when set up, but because of the hybrid style (part hub; part flip) it isn’t the easiest setup for this octogenarian.  Also, it doesn't have the half open function to allow use as a windbreak like some of the flips have.  That is a nice feature on sunny days.  

The Nanook is a smallish 2 person that works well, but is heavier than I need and is getting harder to move around when loaded up with ALL the gear I take (but don’t really need Big Grin ).  I haven’t needed a 2-person shelter in over 3 years.  Everybody I fish with has their own shelter.

My new shelter will be the Eskimo WIDE 1 XR THERMAL.  It has a width expandable frame that gives 17.5 sq ft of fishing area inside the tent and has the windbreak functionality.  Weight is only 65 pounds including the swivel seat.  Inside height is 64.5”.  Since I don’t do ice camping, I can go smaller and be very happy.
Bob Hicks, from Utah
That looks like a nice one Bob, doesn't Clam make one simuliar to the Eskimo that you are buying, lighter weight is the way to go for sure, imo.
Hey Bret we'll have to circle the tents or buckets somewhere as the season gets going... See where the fish show up and then make some plans...

Bob, thanks for the details on the flips... I've been watching how Matt and Skyler can get those bayrunners all equipped and set up so quick, now I'll have to check out your new one this year... Have you already gotten it? I ordered stuff last year in October and they ended up never sending it, so I hope you have gotten this already or they have the supply system fixed by now... I was bummed to not get my new toys for last year... Anyway when we get ice I'll have to join you on the ice somewhere and check out the new shelter, you seem to always find the cool stuff, so hope you don't mind us getting a look see... Thanks Jeff
(11-02-2022, 03:48 PM)SkunkedAgain Wrote: Hey Bret we'll have to circle the tents or buckets somewhere as the season gets going... See where the fish show up and then make some plans... 

Jeff, you know Glenn(pikeman) invited folks to a get together with him and likely his crew at Rockport in Jan for a perch cookout, maybe that would be a good place to have a BFT get together at the same time.
Hey Curt, I was wondering the same thing or just joining them and help where needed... Should be a good time and location, we'll follow up on that one... Jeff
(11-02-2022, 01:39 PM)wiperhunter2 Wrote: That looks like a nice one Bob, doesn't Clam make one simuliar to the Eskimo that you are buying, lighter weight is the way to go for sure, imo.
Clam does not make a single that I'm aware of that expands like the Eskimo does.
Bob Hicks, from Utah
My shelters and ice auger are now listed on BFT for sale forum.
Bob Hicks, from Utah