Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Hawkins
I wanted to get on the ice at Twin Lakes. But with barely 2 inches I didn't dare. So I checked out Hawkins yesterday. Good ice, 5 inches all over. I met a guy at the boat ramp, and fished with him for a few hour's. He fishes it a lot with powers bait. One time a couple years ago I was on the ice there, and I didn't have power bait, and couldn't get a bite. I don't use power bait much. But this time his power bait wasn't working. He had one bite, and missed it. I got two fat rainbow on my white with red dot maniacs. But it was slow. And then I tried a minnow on a chartues jig. It was fish on. I only had five minnows with me, but got five more rainbows. And then I tried sucker meat, but the fish didn't want that, so I quit. There were about a dozen people fishing when I left. It wasn't until I was on the way home that I realized I didn't take a picture. The rainbow were all around 1 1/2 pounds. I know there are some good cutthroat at Hawkins but I never saw anyone get one.
Great report Randy, thanks for sharing it with us. I'm not familiar with Hawkins, what town is it close to?
(11-23-2022, 03:44 PM)wiperhunter2 Wrote: Great report Randy, thanks for sharing it with us. I'm not familiar with Hawkins, what town is it close to?

It's a small reservoir west of Downey. If I was going to go to Preston, I'd take the Downey or Preston exit to the freeway and head East. But if you head West right there, it is the Hawkins Rd. It would be the second Downey exit coming from the South.
(11-24-2022, 01:12 AM)fast_randy Wrote:
(11-23-2022, 03:44 PM)wiperhunter2 Wrote: Great report Randy, thanks for sharing it with us. I'm not familiar with Hawkins, what town is it close to?

It's a small reservoir west of Downey. If I was going to go to Preston, I'd take the Downey or Preston exit to the freeway and head East. But if you head West right there, it is the Hawkins Rd. It would be the second Downey exit coming from the South.

Looks like it's on the West side of I-15, how many miles is it from Downey?
(11-24-2022, 03:38 AM)wiperhunter2 Wrote:
(11-24-2022, 01:12 AM)fast_randy Wrote:

Looks like it's on the West side of I-15, how many miles is it from Downey?

Good work Randy.