Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Twin Lakes
Me and Shawn got on 4 inches of ice at Twin today. I only got rainbows, but Shawn got trout, lots of large mouths some perch and even a crappie. Great time.

[Image: 20221203-144709.jpg]

[Image: 20221203-084113.jpg]
(12-03-2022, 11:25 PM)fast_randy Wrote: Me and Shawn got on 4 inches of ice at Twin today. I only got rainbows, but Shawn got trout, lots of large mouths some perch and even a crappie. Great time.

Way to go you two, many folks out there today?
(12-03-2022, 11:31 PM)wiperhunter2 Wrote:
(12-03-2022, 11:25 PM)fast_randy Wrote: Me and Shawn got on 4 inches of ice at Twin today. I only got rainbows, but Shawn got trout, lots of large mouths some perch and even a crappie. Great time.

We had the place to our self. It started really slow we each had a nice trout and my fish finder battery died. Then I got on the Bass blind. I got 14 12-14” cookie cutter Large mouth, 3 perch, 1 crappie and 2 Trout. The bass were in 19’ of water with a couple feet of weeds on the bottom. I got my first bass on my favorite white with red flake Maniac Bate. The rest on 1/4oz perch pattern kastmaster with an 8” droper to a green gizzie bug tipped with meal worm. I caught 5 of the large mouth on the kastmaster and the rest on the dropper.

[Image: 794-B319-A-42-B0-4136-BBC7-7-BB22-B9-B6506.jpg]

(12-03-2022, 11:41 PM)obifishkenobi Wrote:
(12-03-2022, 11:31 PM)wiperhunter2 Wrote:

We had the place to our self. It started really slow we each had a nice trout and my fish finder battery died. Then I got on the Bass blind. I got 14 12-14” cookie cutter Large mouth, 3 perch, 1 crappie and 2 Trout. The bass were in 19’ of water with a couple feet of weeds on the bottom. I got my first bass on my favorite white with red flake Maniac Bate. The rest on 1/4oz perch pattern kastmaster with an 8” droper to a green gizzie bug tipped with meal worm. I caught 5 of the large mouth on the kastmaster and the rest on the dropper.

[Image: 794-B319-A-42-B0-4136-BBC7-7-BB22-B9-B6506.jpg]
Way to go guys, that sounds like a fun trip... I had some company and couldn't get away, but that would have been even closer for me to have joined you... I still love Twin Lakes, guess it's because that's where I learned to love fishing as a kid... thanks for the report... Jeff
When things get stressful think I'll go fish'en and worry about it tomorrow!
Nice fish! That was me in the white car that came down and talked to you while you were packing up. I'm heading over there on Thursday to give it a whirl.
Hey Fishybear2. Glad to see you are a member. I look forward to seeing your posts. I think I will try again tomorrow, Wednesday. I'm busy Thursday, or I'd go then. It would be fun fishing with you.
(12-06-2022, 06:49 PM)fast_randy Wrote: Hey Fishybear2. Glad to see you are a member. I look forward to seeing your posts. I think I will try again tomorrow, Wednesday. I'm busy Thursday, or I'd go then. It would be fun fishing with you.

Let me know how you do. I think I'm going to try the South Lake on Thursday. Good luck!
Any word on Oakley res? I was gonna come up for the weekend but couldn't get any info
Been pretty warm here, so not sure of the ice.
Tried Twin yesterday for the first time this year. It fished pretty good. Not really sure how many I caught but took home 26 or so bluegills, perch and one trout. Bluegills averaged around 9" with one fat 10". The two perch I kept were 10". The one accidental rainbow was 17". I have no idea how many bass I caught but most were small with a few that were probably 14-15". I found most of my fish in 19 FOW. I'm guessing my tally for the day between 40-50.
(12-09-2022, 04:58 PM)Fishybear2 Wrote: Tried Twin yesterday for the first time this year. It fished pretty good. Not really sure how many I caught but took home 26 or so bluegills, perch and one trout. Bluegills averaged around 9" with one fat 10". The two perch I kept were 10". The one accidental rainbow was 17". I have no idea how many bass I caught but most were small with a few that were probably 14-15". I found most of my fish in 19 FOW. I'm guessing my tally for the day between 40-50.
Great report, sounds like you had a very good day. Did any one jig or color work better than another one?
(12-09-2022, 05:06 PM)wiperhunter2 Wrote:
(12-09-2022, 04:58 PM)Fishybear2 Wrote: Tried Twin yesterday for the first time this year. It fished pretty good. Not really sure how many I caught but took home 26 or so bluegills, perch and one trout. Bluegills averaged around 9" with one fat 10". The two perch I kept were 10". The one accidental rainbow was 17". I have no idea how many bass I caught but most were small with a few that were probably 14-15". I found most of my fish in 19 FOW. I'm guessing my tally for the day between 40-50.
Great report, sounds like you had a very good day. Did any one jig or color work better than another one?

No they weren't very discriminating, they hit just about everything I threw at them. Early in the morning they were really fired up and would come racing up and smash my offering.
(12-09-2022, 06:10 PM)Fishybear2 Wrote:
(12-09-2022, 05:06 PM)wiperhunter2 Wrote:

No they weren't very discriminating, they hit just about everything I threw at them. Early in the morning they were really fired up and would come racing up and smash my offering.

Wow, thats more like a late spring fish catch. Nice to see so many panfish on the hook. Most of the time I used to fish ice, you would manage a decent bag for supper but havent heard of a catch like that for a very very long time. So, fish on and I hope many more will get into good meal also.

Did you fish the South or the North lake?  We fished the South Lake first on Tuesday and only landed 1 small perch.  We then moved to the north lake and found a few bass, perch and trout.  Our next stop was Treasureton, where Kory did great and I was comfortable inside of my shack (the wind was blowing).  I wish that we would have either started at the north lake or Treasureton.
(12-10-2022, 03:50 PM)kentofnsl Wrote:

Did you fish the South or the North lake?  We fished the South Lake first on Tuesday and only landed 1 small perch.  We then moved to the north lake and found a few bass, perch and trout.  Our next stop was Treasureton, where Kory did great and I was comfortable inside of my shack (the wind was blowing).  I wish that we would have either started at the north lake or Treasureton.
I was on the North Lake over on the Southern shorline. Deepest part of both lakes is over there. I've fished Twin a very very long time, 20+ years so I have a few honey holes I can almost always count on.
Does anyone have any news on ice conditions?

Thanks
Ice seems good, just pretty sketchy getting on, be careful if you go.
(12-30-2022, 09:41 PM)grimmnuts Wrote: Does anyone have any news on ice conditions?

Thanks

Hey you're going to want to be really careful fishing Twin was up there yesterday before any new snow had fallen and it appeared that the ice sheet had shifted towards the south, so the edge was bad and it had opened several cracks between big chunks of ice and those cracks had refrozen with about 1/2 to 1" of ice on them so if you step on the crack you will go through and some of the cracks were a couple feet wide.  Taking a spud bar and spudding like your life depends on it will be essential with the new snow cover.. I think after you are 20 yards onto the ice you should be past the cracks, but just know there are several of those Bengal tiger traps waiting for you...  I would try entering the ice from the NW corner and I think there was only one crack there and it was pretty close to shore... Once out on the sheet there was 6-7" of ice, it's just the cracks that will be an issue for you... Good luck and take extra care... J
When things get stressful think I'll go fish'en and worry about it tomorrow!
(12-31-2022, 01:18 AM)SkunkedAgain Wrote:
(12-30-2022, 09:41 PM)grimmnuts Wrote: Does anyone have any news on ice conditions?

Thanks

Hey you're going to want to be really careful fishing Twin was up there yesterday before any new snow had fallen and it appeared that the ice sheet had shifted towards the south, so the edge was bad and it had opened several cracks between big chunks of ice and those cracks had refrozen with about 1/2 to 1" of ice on them so if you step on the crack you will go through and some of the cracks were a couple feet wide.  Taking a spud bar and spudding like your life depends on it will be essential with the new snow cover.. I think after you are 20 yards onto the ice you should be past the cracks, but just know there are several of those Bengal tiger traps waiting for you...  I would try entering the ice from the NW corner and I think there was only one crack there and it was pretty close to shore... Once out on the sheet there was 6-7" of ice, it's just the cracks that will be an issue for you... Good luck and take extra care... J

Thanks sir, Ill probably just let it harden up a little before heading that way.
(12-31-2022, 03:26 AM)grimmnuts Wrote:
(12-31-2022, 01:18 AM)SkunkedAgain Wrote:

Thanks

Thanks sir, Ill probably just let it harden up a little before heading that way.
hi, just wondering how the roads getting to the south lake have been? thanks for the ice report.