Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Mantua??
Anyone hit mantua today?  

Hit it thursday and it was good.  With the warmth and new snow, curious how it is now.
Im wanting to take my grandson tomorrow.  But a 5 year old and poor conditions don't mix well.

Any reports would be helpful!!

LT
I don't know, but I would expect the slush monster to show up with all the new snow... Just seems like new snow always brings the slush as the weight of the snow pushes the ice down the water flows up on top of the ice and makes for nasty conditions... But that will probably be the case everywhere tomorrow. I think the crowds at Mantua have been going down, so you might find the bite getting better again... Good luck, but be prepared to pack your area so the slush doesn't make it miserable for you... A shovel may help you build a good mound to stay dry on... Rubber boots will probably be well worth taking.. Later J
When things get stressful think I'll go fish'en and worry about it tomorrow!
(01-02-2023, 12:18 AM)SkunkedAgain Wrote: I don't know, but I would expect the slush monster to show up with all the new snow... Just seems like new snow always brings the slush as the weight of the snow pushes the ice down the water flows up on top of the ice and makes for nasty conditions... But that will probably be the case everywhere tomorrow.  I think the crowds at Mantua have been going down, so you might find the bite getting better again... Good luck, but be prepared to pack your area so the slush doesn't make it miserable for you... A shovel may help you build a good mound to stay dry on...  Rubber boots will probably be well worth taking..  Later J

I really don't see any prospect for improved conditions over the next week as I believe it'll take a stint with night temps in the low teens or below as this storm dumped of heavy load of warm, wet snow on already marginal ice.
Thanks for confirming my decision to not go!!  I want his first trip to be a good one.

LT
I'm sorry to make you miss out, but I'm still sitting here at home instead of being fishing myself.. I don't know the ice conditions at Wellsville Res, but you might try that one, I'm thinking there should be lots of fish in there and maybe not as much slush... I may ride over and check this morning... Good luck... Jeff

PS...Smokepole, I'm afraid you are right, but I'm hoping it won't take that long... but I know the cold doesn't get through that insulation layer very quick... We might be set up for a year of bad ice now with this event... Makes for a short season... Later J
(01-02-2023, 02:23 PM)SkunkedAgain Wrote: I'm sorry to make you miss out, but I'm still sitting here at home instead of being fishing myself.. I don't know the ice conditions at Wellsville Res, but you might try that one, I'm thinking there should be lots of fish in there and maybe not as much slush... I may ride over and check this morning... Good luck... Jeff

PS...Smokepole, I'm afraid you are right, but I'm hoping it won't take that long... but I know the cold doesn't get through that insulation layer very quick... We might be set up for a year of bad ice now with this event... Makes for a short season... Later J

Checked out Holmes Creek here in Layton.  Not too bed, but a bit slushy.  The edges are poor for 5 feet in most spots.  There were 4 guys out fishing it.  May give it a shot wednesday afternoon.

LT
I may have led you a bit astray, I went to Newton and Cutler yesterday and the slush wasn't as bad as I figured, the water was only about 1.5" deep on top of the ice, so it was slushy, but I've seen it a lot worse and it was cold enough, that once you packed a platform it froze in about a half hour so you could get up out of the soup... If you found a spot from the guys fishing the day before, it was already frozen so you could keep your feet out of the water... not a great condition day, but still fishable... Sorry I hope I didn't ruin your opportunity... Later J
(01-03-2023, 01:53 PM)SkunkedAgain Wrote: I may have led you a bit astray, I went to Newton and Cutler yesterday and the slush wasn't as bad as I figured, the water was only about 1.5" deep on top of the ice, so it was slushy, but I've seen it a lot worse and it was cold enough, that once you packed a platform it froze in about a half hour so you could get up out of the soup... If you found a spot from the guys fishing the day before, it was already frozen so you could keep your feet out of the water... not a great condition day, but still fishable... Sorry I hope I didn't ruin your opportunity... Later J

Nope.....not at all.  Thanks!! 

The warm temps are ruining my fishing right now....as well as others!!  Dodgy
I agree it's really scary for ice holding through January this year... Hope the temps get back to normal so conditions will improve.. Good luck.. J
(01-04-2023, 04:07 PM)SkunkedAgain Wrote: I agree it's really scary for ice holding through January this year... Hope the temps get back to normal so conditions will improve.. Good luck.. J

Only in Utah can we not be happy with much-needed Moisture when we get it LOL  And not happy when we don't get moisture. LOL  

Ohhh I feel your pain in wanting to get back on the ice though.  I keep looking at the long-range forecast and all the moisture is coming from the Pacific and that is too warm I Wish we could get a nice artic blast from Canada for a week!
(01-04-2023, 10:05 PM)big_griggs Wrote:
(01-04-2023, 04:07 PM)SkunkedAgain Wrote: I agree it's really scary for ice holding through January this year... Hope the temps get back to normal so conditions will improve.. Good luck.. J

Only in Utah can we not be happy with much-needed Moisture when we get it LOL  And not happy when we don't get moisture. LOL  

Ohhh I feel your pain in wanting to get back on the ice though.  I keep looking at the long-range forecast and all the moisture is coming from the Pacific and that is too warm I Wish we could get a nice artic blast from Canada for a week!

And if we get it we'll complain it's too cold... I know we're a fickle bunch.... Except I haven't been complaining about moisture, just the lack of safe ice... Which we deal with what we get, it just makes our plans have to change and adjust to unexpected conditions... But we do what we need to do... Later J
(01-04-2023, 10:05 PM)big_griggs Wrote:

I'm sooooo grateful for all the moisture pouring in!!!  Hope it continues through July.  Just wish it came with colder air.....at least cold enough to keep the ice hard and the slush monster at bay.

LT
Those of us who gave up ice fishing because of the poor conditions in recent years (and the subsequent danger of being out there) feel your pain, but maybe also fault your judgement.
Anyone been out to that pond lately? Last time I went the fishing had slowed way down, and the conditions weren't the best. Wondering how that cap is holding up.
Hey Derek drove by twice yesterday and there were very few fisherfolks on the pond like maybe 4 total that I could see and they were widely scattered along the east side... I could see open water in that southeast inlet area, but didn't get on the ice to check conditions, although I considered it since I got blown off Willard earlier than I had planned on... Later J
Went to Mantua Sunday 1/8/23 straight off the East side parking lot. Ice conditions were good 8-10" thick. Some spots were a little wet and as you walked through them it got a bit of slush. We fished from 1045 till 1430. Saw fish on graph come off the bottom (12' depth) but no bites. Started fishing off bottom about 1 1/2 foot. Started catching planter trout (8-12") we caught 11 trout between us. Put them all back. Saw a line of ice huts over by the stream inlet area. Will try that next time. Anyone fished over on that side?
I'd like to give it another go on that pond. Anyone heading up there Friday morning? Supposed to get a little colder tomorrow, so maybe that will harden up all the slush. Always a roll of the dice!
A man needs to believe in something; I believe I'll go fishing! 
Golly, I just do not know what it takes to make safe and comfortable conditions when it hits 38-40 diuing days and 22-24 at night? I'll drive by Hyrum tomorrow and see how things look. In the mean time, I'm planning my next fly rod build Smile .
Let me know. Thanks Chuck!
A man needs to believe in something; I believe I'll go fishing! 
(01-11-2023, 09:07 PM)Moki51 Wrote: Went to Mantua Sunday 1/8/23 straight off the East side parking lot. Ice conditions were good 8-10" thick. Some spots were a little wet and as you walked through them it got a bit of slush. We fished from 1045 till 1430. Saw fish on graph come off the bottom (12' depth) but no bites. Started fishing off bottom about 1 1/2 foot. Started catching planter trout (8-12") we caught 11 trout between us. Put them all back. Saw a line of ice huts over by the stream inlet area. Will try that next time. Anyone fished over on that side?

Thanks for the report and welcome to the site. They must have planted a lot of those little planters last Fall in there because others are reporting that same bow catching numbers.  That area over toward the stream inlet area has been good for pan fish is the past, it's not as deep there but lots of underwater plants there. Be careful where you park there and watch the signs, they have given out a lot of tickets there in the past, for parking in the wrong area.