Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Flaming Gorge
Any info on FG LT fishing?
Buckboard ice?
Road 11 drivable?
Thanks.
Info I got from locals in Manila last Wednesday was that ice had formed at Buckboard and that there were people fishing. Don't know about road conditions. I'm thinking about heading up Tuesday but it will depend on weather forecast.
You could send Ryno a PM or email and ask him, he lives up there and should have a better idea of the conditions.
Buckboard was completely capped. I fished big bend last weekend. It was also capped as far as I could see. Not a ton of snow on the northern half of the lake when we left the day after new years. All roads were accessible. Ice was about 5" to 8".
Hey just curious, I know everyone chases the new ice on the gorge, but does the area up north still fish pretty good after the push goes south to keep up with new ice? I know most lakes are usually best at first ice and then pressure turns them into the doldrums for a while, but seems like a lot of ponds seem to recover and do okay after the crowds pass them by for a while... Just wondering if you could fish the confluence now and do okay where the ice is a little thicker and the crowds not as thick??? Just curious.. Has the ice made it to Anvil draw area yet? Thanks Jeff
When things get stressful think I'll go fish'en and worry about it tomorrow!
Is there anyone manning Buckboard Marina? I tried calling and emailing and nothing but crickets. Anyone been up near Firehole and if so is it accessible with a small RV. I would like to night fish the Burbot and winter camp a couple of days.
Im looking to head out there and use the cedar springs ramp. I was told today that most coves in that area are still open but will get back to me in the next few days on ramp conditions
The main ice sheet currently ends near Brinegar Ferry Crossing. I fished just above there on Saturday and it was 6-inches. Expect overall thicker ice as you go northward or uplake, but there's always anomalies on the Gorge. Below Brinegar Ferry there was patchy ice, but mostly open water, including through Anvil Draw. I also saw Sheep Creek Bay yesterday, and there was some patchy skim ice in that location. The northern portion of the reservoir has not gotten the snow like the south. Above say Manila, the snow was only 2-3 inches. The southern portion is closer to 8-10 inches in places. I had no issue getting around roads while icefishing uplake, but we'll see what this incoming storm does. The launches that are not iced in, are snow covered with some ice, so bring your chains if you're launching a boat.

SkunkedAgain, I've actually heard spotty but some good reports coming from the Confluence, so I wouldn't be reluctant to fish it. Even my last trips to Buckboard were variable though. One day good and then next a struggle, but all the while marking fish. That's lakers though....

Hope it all helps and good luck, Ryno
(01-10-2023, 09:58 AM)Ryno Wrote: The main ice sheet currently ends near Brinegar Ferry Crossing.  I fished just above there on Saturday and it was 6-inches.  Expect overall thicker ice as you go northward or uplake, but there's always anomalies on the Gorge.  Below Brinegar Ferry there was patchy ice, but mostly open water, including through Anvil Draw.  I also saw Sheep Creek Bay yesterday, and there was some patchy skim ice in that location. The northern portion of the reservoir has not gotten the snow like the south.  Above say Manila, the snow was only 2-3 inches.  The southern portion is closer to 8-10 inches in places.  I had no issue getting around roads while icefishing uplake, but we'll see what this incoming storm does.  The launches that are not iced in, are snow covered with some ice, so bring your chains if you're launching a boat.

SkunkedAgain, I've actually heard spotty but some good reports coming from the Confluence, so I wouldn't be reluctant to fish it.  Even my last trips to Buckboard were variable though.  One day good and then next a struggle, but all the while marking fish.  That's lakers though....

Hope it all helps and good luck, Ryno

Thanks Ryan, sure appreciate your on the spot updates.  Not sure when I'll make it down there this winter, I've been looking at the 21st or  28th, but want to avoid contest weekends so I need to check that out... Also need to work around a deadline at work that might force me to be available at the end of the month... So I need to get serious and plan something soon... Thanks again for a great update... Jeff
The Mac Attack is this coming weekend (14-15th) and Burbot Bash is the end of the month (27-29th).

Hope that helps and good luck!
Thank you Ryan, guess the 21st may be the best or wait till February... I was there the week days before the Burbot Bash two years ago and I couldn't believe all the people that started rolling in on Friday, was glad i was going home that day... Maybe I need to go on a weekday ...  Thanks again for the schedule... Jeff
(01-11-2023, 09:11 PM)Ryno Wrote: The Mac Attack is this coming weekend (14-15th) and Burbot Bash is the end of the month (27-29th). 

Hope that helps and good luck!

Hey Ryno, do you think a week after the Mac Attack things will have calmed down? We are thinking of fishing Jan 20-21 with focus on lake trout.

jack of all tackle, master of none
I'd guess there would be fewer people on the ice overall this coming weekend. The weather looks pretty good, so the stability should bode well for laker fishing as well. With all the storms this season (which are good for snowpack) the bite sure has had it's ups and downs. Lots of new ice to explore as well. I've heard it's fishable through Anvil Draw now, but I haven't had a chance to validate that. There's also ice around Stateline and Linwood, but it's only a few days old and will likely require more time to thicken up.

Good luck, Ryno
Hey Ryan appreciate your update, we'll be down in a couple weeks to give it a try.. Thanks Jeff
Planning on going up next week for the Burbot Bash and would like to know how are the conditions on top of the ice, any slush?
No slush yet, except a few spots near the shore where I've accessed the ice. As the reservoir drops, it's not uncommon for the ice to curl up on the shoreline, crack and let water seep through. On the main ice sheet the conditions have been great, with a little snow even, so I'm not slippin' and slidin' as much. Hope it helps.
Thanks that's good to hear makes getting around a lot easier.