Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
ICE OFF 2023 PLANS
Well...we are at the end of Jan and quickly approaching the 2023 ice off season down here in Southern UT. It was a rough ice-off 2022 season with the normal reservoirs being so low and the DWR changing regulations that greatly depleted resources in once awesome fisheries (but I don't blame them, everyone was anticipating the worst). Planning on getting to the early ice-off fisheries  end of next month...Otter Creek & Minersville. I will have VERY low expectations from previous years, but it's worth a shot. Hoping by mid to late March we can get to some of our slightly higher elevation honey holes, and then by late April the highest ones. I anticipate a greatness in those higher lakes this year! What we saw last year was very impressive! It should be a high water year for all of the reservoirs in this drainage, so fish should do well and be healthy through to fall. Meanwhile...I continue to tie my flies, organize my gear and prepare for a much anticipated 2023 fly fishing season!

What is everyone else anticipating for 2023? 

Peace out!
We are certainly off to a great start for the snowpack this year.  Our reservoirs are all in need of a good year to bring the levels back to normal levels.  One thing that this might do to our spring fishing is bring high flows in the streams for longer than usual and the lakes/reservoirs will be murky until later in the summer than normal.

I have been impressed with how well most of the fisheries have held up even with the low water levels and flows.  The DWR has had to make some unpopular regulation changes to try and limit the damage from the drought.

I'm expecting to have some good fishing this year but it may not happen until later on.
While I don't expect numbers to be high, I do expect quality of fish to be high. I'm excited. You'll be seeing me out at Minersville.
Yes, spring run off will make river fishing tough for awhile with high, murky conditions. I anticipate a great ice-off season on the reservoirs, especially on my local waters that weren't as affected by the drought conditions and regulation changes. PBH...hope to run into you out there at M-ville! So many fun years of ice-off there that I can't bring myself not to go give it a try, although last year was dismal. Hoping for the same at Otter Creek...so much fun history there, epic days that include my PB bow! Boulders should be great as always...so many options! Hoping for end of next month for M-ville, fingers crossed!
(01-26-2023, 11:09 PM)richyd4u Wrote: Well...we are at the end of Jan and quickly approaching the 2023 ice off season down here in Southern UT. It was a rough ice-off 2022 season with the normal reservoirs being so low and the DWR changing regulations that greatly depleted resources in once awesome fisheries (but I don't blame them, everyone was anticipating the worst). Planning on getting to the early ice-off fisheries  end of next month...Otter Creek & Minersville. I will have VERY low expectations from previous years, but it's worth a shot. Hoping by mid to late March we can get to some of our slightly higher elevation honey holes, and then by late April the highest ones. I anticipate a greatness in those higher lakes this year! What we saw last year was very impressive! It should be a high water year for all of the reservoirs in this drainage, so fish should do well and be healthy through to fall. Meanwhile...I continue to tie my flies, organize my gear and prepare for a much anticipated 2023 fly fishing season!

What is everyone else anticipating for 2023? 

Peace out!

I was thinking a combo trip hard water at Fish Lake and Ice Off at Otter Creek any updates on Otter Creek Ice Off will be appreciated.
So how late is the ice safe enough to get out on at Fish Lake, usually. We definitely want to ice fish there this year. Do you think it will still be good in mid-March?
The older I get the more I would rather be considered a good man than a good fisherman.

Craig I'm no expert, but the last couple years I've taken the family to Fish Lake in the first week or two of March. I would say mid March would be just fine as well. There was no shortage of ice, and conditions were generally good. There were some slush pockets and wind. But otherwise easy fishing.
Doesn't apply to ice off ,but the Bighorn in April for 4 or 5 days floating the river .
Is the ice off at Minersville?
Looking to go last weekend of Mar
Yes, most of the lake is ice free. I fished it last week on Sat. Beautiful conditions with clear water. The lake is coming up and several people were giving it a try. I landed the only hit I got, a fat bow I'd guess in the 2# range. I didn't see any other fish caught but I really wasn't watching others, mostly watching my indicator and trying to make it go under with a mind warp or something. No such luck Sad
Thanks for the info Saltslam. Thinking I may go up next weekend. Trying to dodge the wind Smile
(03-20-2023, 11:57 PM)rsnk61 Wrote: Is the ice off at Minersville?

We hit Minersville ice-off a few weeks back with none of us getting a single hit all day. The water was gin clear and it was a perfect day, but not a fish to be seen anywhere. Talked with a few other fly fishermen, same story. That reservoir is dead...going to take 3 more wet winters with some good stocking to get it back. Sad. 

We are hitting the OC next and we are expecting similar results unfortunately...another trophy bow fishery to tank from the recent drought. 

Fortunately we have had such a heavy, wet winter...which is the first step to getting these back. Only down side is we won't be able to access the higher elevation fisheries that are still good until May-Jun probably! SO MUCH SNOW!!!
(03-27-2023, 08:18 PM)richyd4u Wrote:

We hit Minersville ice-off a few weeks back with none of us getting a single hit all day. The water was gin clear and it was a perfect day, but not a fish to be seen anywhere. Talked with a few other fly fishermen, same story. That reservoir is dead...going to take 3 more wet winters with some good stocking to get it back. Sad. 

Just a heads up...Minersville was gill netted on 3/30 and, though numbers are down, quite a few big fish are still there! In a typical/good year, gill nets yield at least 20 trout per net. This year gill nets averaged about 13 trout per net and about 1/3 of all the fish netted were 20+ inches.

Fishing this spring will undoubtedly be tougher simply because of the rising water (if the water muddies with runoff, it will even be tougher) and the availability of a lot of food for fewer fish. But, as the water drops and summer begins fishing will improve some. For me, the growth rates of the fish in there and the reality that quite a few fish are still in the reservoir means it's still worth fishing!

Also, FWIW, wiper numbers are similar to years past.
(03-31-2023, 06:02 PM)wormandbobber Wrote:
(03-27-2023, 08:18 PM)richyd4u Wrote:

Just a heads up...Minersville was gill netted on 3/30 and, though numbers are down, quite a few big fish are still there! In a typical/good year, gill nets yield at least 20 trout per net. This year gill nets averaged about 13 trout per net and about 1/3 of all the fish netted were 20+ inches.

Fishing this spring will undoubtedly be tougher simply because of the rising water (if the water muddies with runoff, it will even be tougher) and the availability of a lot of food for fewer fish. But, as the water drops and summer begins fishing will improve some. For me, the growth rates of the fish in there and the reality that quite a few fish are still in the reservoir means it's still worth fishing!

Also, FWIW, wiper numbers are similar to years past.
Thanks for the encouraging report.  I'll take slower fishing, for quality fish any day. Smile
Thanks for the info