Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
2023 our new gardening adventure
(03-04-2023, 02:17 PM)wiperhunter2 Wrote: Well that's too bad that the PH went up that much but the plants are looking good. It's going to be interesting to see how the tomato and cucumber plants do as they grow bigger.

Agreed. Today's ph test was same as yesterday's at 8.25. The good news is the new ph down which is using the phosphoric acid formula is much more stable. So, the swings are not happening as fast as they did with the original. 

Jeff is also treating his aquariums with this new phdown. That is his experiment. It too is staying more balanced so far. 

The Roma tomato and cucumber are dwarf container versions we found the seeds at J&Js - guess we'll just see. 

Some municipalities treat their water to help the ph balance. Since ours comes from a well there is little treatment being done to it, not even fluoride is added. We do not have secondary water as a watering option for gardening.  We've read where many have just given up trying to keep their ph balanced and they still are able to successfully raise/harvest their plants and they give it full star reviews. Still of course balanced would be ideal.

We're just learning what we can and what we cannot grow successfully with this mixed planting. Once we learn we'll make the best choices to keep us in fresh veggies year-round, all grown pest (and deer) free. It's entertainment!
Do dwarf plants also mean dwarf produce? Must be a huge well to supply your whole community with water.
(03-04-2023, 07:49 PM)wiperhunter2 Wrote: Do dwarf plants also mean dwarf produce? Must be a huge well to supply your whole community with water.

No regular sized produce just a more compact plant. 

If I remember correctly, it fills a huge tank from a very deep aquifer - it serves our neighborhood as well as the next one down the road east of us as well as the those outside who have been here much longer than our neighborhoods who now draw from it as well instead of their private wells they originally had.  Nice though that it never put those rust marks on our houses like many wells do.

Tested today before Maintenance was done and got an 8.5. 

in 1qt of warm water I mixed up our nutrients and added in 1/4 cup of phDown. After several cycles of watering, I retested the ph, 6! We'll take it! Now we'll see how long it takes it to go back up. 

I trimmed the roots a bit. I could tell the ones I trimmed last week have gotten much more bushy - I think that is a good sign so far. 

Going to grab some week 3 photos for the record. I'll not post them since I recently posted them. 

So far - happy!
(03-05-2023, 06:25 PM)jjannie Wrote:
(03-04-2023, 07:49 PM)wiperhunter2 Wrote: Do dwarf plants also mean dwarf produce? Must be a huge well to supply your whole community with water.

If I remember correctly, it fills a huge tank from a very deep aquifer - it serves our neighborhood as well as the next one down the road east of us as well as the those outside who have been here much longer than our neighborhoods who now draw from it as well instead of their private wells they originally had.  Nice though that it never put those rust marks on our houses like many wells do.

in 1qt of warm water I mixed up our nutrients and added in 1/4 cup of phDown. After several cycles of watering, I retested the ph, 6! We'll take it! Now we'll see how long it takes it to go back up. 

I trimmed the roots a bit. I could tell the ones I trimmed last week have gotten much more bushy - I think that is a good sign so far. 

Going to grab some week 3 photos for the record. I'll not post them since I recently posted them. 

So far - happy!
Awesome, 1/4 cup to bring it down to 6 sounds pretty good. How expensive is that PH down?
(03-05-2023, 08:01 PM)wiperhunter2 Wrote:

So far - happy!
Awesome, 1/4 cup to bring it down to 6 sounds pretty good. How expensive is that PH down?
We got our new phDown from Amazon for about $30 for a gallon of it. It's made by General Hydroponics. 

Today's test after 2 days of cycles was at a 6.5. Still more buffered than what we were using before. 

Wondering, if water temperature would make difference in the germination/growth rate? We tend to keep our house toward the chillier side - 68, so we'll see once we start warming if our plants really take off.
(03-07-2023, 09:48 PM)jjannie Wrote:
(03-05-2023, 08:01 PM)wiperhunter2 Wrote:

So far - happy!
We got our new phDown from Amazon for about $30 for a gallon of it. It's made by General Hydroponics. 

Today's test after 2 days of cycles was at a 6.5. Still more buffered than what we were using before. 

Wondering, if water temperature would make difference in the germination/growth rate? We tend to keep our house toward the chillier side - 68, so we'll see once we start warming if our plants really take off.
6.5 that's not too bad. Hard to say if temps above 68 would make a difference but I guess it might. That's the same temp we keep our house in the Winter, Summer it's 78 degrees.
Today's ph was still at 6.5. So halfway thru the week and that is so much better than the previous stuff we were using so, it's a win. 

I did read on our cucamelon seed package that they like to germinate in soil that is 70-75 degrees. So at least for that one it might make a difference. It's one that has been slow to germinate so far anyway. 

Lettuces have really taken off so we're sure we will start harvesting it in less than 3 more weeks. 

Our basil has been pretty slow to grow from seeds - so I'm going to pick up some fresh basil tomorrow when grocery shopping from the produce section to see if I were to just root it in a jar then place it into the grow basket that it may be best way to get it started.
(03-08-2023, 11:44 PM)jjannie Wrote: Today's ph was still at 6.5. So halfway thru the week and that is so much better than the previous stuff we were using so, it's a win. 

I did read on our cucamelon seed package that they like to germinate in soil that is 70-75 degrees. So at least for that one it might make a difference. It's one that has been slow to germinate so far anyway. 

Lettuces have really taken off so we're sure we will start harvesting it in less than 3 more weeks. 

Our basil has been pretty slow to grow from seeds - so I'm going to pick up some fresh basil tomorrow when grocery shopping from the produce section to see if I were to just root it in a jar then place it into the grow basket that it may be best way to get it started.

9 Mar - still at a 6.5 today.
(03-09-2023, 04:13 PM)jjannie Wrote:
(03-08-2023, 11:44 PM)jjannie Wrote: Today's ph was still at 6.5. So halfway thru the week and that is so much better than the previous stuff we were using so, it's a win. 

Awesome, maybe you found the right balance with the new PH formula.
(03-09-2023, 08:11 PM)wiperhunter2 Wrote:

Sure hope so, I expect come Sunday, maintenance day, I will once again add more ph down, thinking if I can get it down to low side of the targeted range (5.5-6) it may stay within that range for the week. But this is encouraging that's for sure. 

Picked up some fresh basil today so once it gets some roots on it, I will likely just replace the slow to grow seed version.
(03-09-2023, 10:23 PM)jjannie Wrote:

Sure hope so, I expect come Sunday, maintenance day, I will once again add more ph down, thinking if I can get it down to low side of the targeted range (5.5-6) it may stay within that range for the week. But this is encouraging that's for sure. 

Picked up some fresh basil today so once it gets some roots on it, I will likely just replace the slow to grow seed version.

You can buy Basil with roots on it from a store, sorry not familar with growing it.
(03-09-2023, 10:28 PM)wiperhunter2 Wrote:
(03-09-2023, 10:23 PM)jjannie Wrote:

You can buy Basil with roots on it from a store, sorry not familar with growing it.
I've seen that way before, but all I could find was cut basil at this time so that's what I went with. 

10 Mar  ph test - STILL at 6.5! You cannot imagine how good this feels to have such success with this new ph down. It's also works for Jeff's aquariums, both the fish and plants are appreciating it. WIN-WIN!
(03-10-2023, 08:41 PM)jjannie Wrote: I've seen that way before, but all I could find was cut basil at this time so that's what I went with. 

10 Mar  ph test - STILL at 6.5! You cannot imagine how good this feels to have such success with this new ph down. It's also works for Jeff's aquariums, both the fish and plants are appreciating it. WIN-WIN!

So roots can grow on basil even when it's cut? 
Great news on the PH down working so well.
(03-11-2023, 03:39 AM)wiperhunter2 Wrote:
(03-10-2023, 08:41 PM)jjannie Wrote: I've seen that way before, but all I could find was cut basil at this time so that's what I went with. 

So roots can grow on basil even when it's cut? 
Great news on the PH down working so well.
Well, I hope so - saw this online about it:

"Remove the leaves from the bottom of the cut stems for about 3-4 inches. Place stems in jars, fill with water and place on windowsill. After about two weeks, the basil should start rooting. If the water gets cloudy, pour it out and add fresh water."

It's also supposed cut harvesting time in half.  So, my fingers are crossed. 

Will test the ph in a little bit. 
(03-11-2023, 04:02 PM)jjannie Wrote: Well, I hope so - saw this online about it:

"Remove the leaves from the bottom of the cut stems for about 3-4 inches. Place stems in jars, fill with water and place on windowsill. After about two weeks, the basil should start rooting. If the water gets cloudy, pour it out and add fresh water."

Did you guys get rain or snow yesterday?
Are the fish in Jeff's aquariums the same as the ones in your pond out back?
(03-11-2023, 04:37 PM)wiperhunter2 Wrote:
(03-11-2023, 04:02 PM)jjannie Wrote: Well, I hope so - saw this online about it:

Mostly rain, at first it was snow, but it quickly switched to a steady rain. So all our snow is now frozen enough that even Annie can walk on top it. Tuesday evening, we are supposed to another 1/2 inch of rain! 

The fish tanks have tropical fish. Sometimes we do bring the baby pond fish inside in smaller tank to watch them grow up and so we can cull the un-colored ones out.
(03-11-2023, 04:57 PM)jjannie Wrote:
(03-11-2023, 04:37 PM)wiperhunter2 Wrote:

Mostly rain, at first it was snow, but it quickly switched to a steady rain. So all our snow is now frozen enough that even Annie can walk on top it. Tuesday evening, we are supposed to another 1/2 inch of rain! 

The fish tanks have tropical fish. Sometimes we do bring the baby pond fish inside in smaller tank to watch them grow up and so we can cull the un-colored ones out.

ph was again a 6.5! wahoo!!
12 Mar - was our Maintenace day. So trimmed roots, added nutrients and a gal of water and 2 tablespoons of ph down. After some cycles ran recheck the ph and it was at 6, or the low end of the target zone. will give it a day to stabilize more. Also checked temperature of water reservoir - it was at 66 degrees. Going to get a small aquarium heater to see if just a few degrees warmer water might speed things along any. 

13 Mar - ph was 6.25, shucks but ok. 

Here are a few week 4 pictures that show the lettuces, cukes, broccoli and cauliflower are doing really well. Peppers are growing just not fast, same for tomatoes. 

[Image: 20230312-Lto-R-7-8-9-Cuke-Lettuce-Brocco...seeded.jpg]

[Image: 20230312-Lto-R-12-14-Lettuce-lettuce-and-Broccoli.jpg]

[Image: 20230312-Lto-R-28-29-Arugula-and-Lettuce.jpg]

[Image: 20230312-Lto-R-35-36-30-Bell-pepper-Spinach-Celeryy.jpg]
Very impressive growth and it appears you are using a lot less of the Down treatment to get good results. So how long has it been now since the plants sprouted?
(03-14-2023, 12:07 AM)wiperhunter2 Wrote: Very impressive growth and it appears you are using a lot less of the Down treatment to get good results. So how long has it been now since the plants sprouted?

Hope so. Sprouting times varied between 3 and 9 days when they sprouted, and Sunday was week 4.