Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
East Canyon Report
Fished EC Saturday.  
Arrived around 10:30-11:00....usually the time I'm leaving the ice as I've experienced that the bite usually dies around then.  
Did not want to be home on a nice day so figured even catching zero would still be a good day.
I started off in around 28 ft.  30 min had 2 on the finder, one missed bite.
Drilled a hole at 17ft.  5 min had a very nice, very fat, 18in rainbow.  Decided to park it there for a few hours.
Landed an even dozen.  at least 8 of them were identical.....fat, healthy, good-fighting, 18in bows.  I was very impressed because I'm usually getting 13-14 in skinny ones there.
I think someone else may have not expected nice big fish that fight.......one of the ones I caught had a small Maniac lure in its mouth and about 6in of broken off line.  My assumption is that it had to have been earlier that morning as the jig was in excellent condition....so good....I even tried it for a while.  What would really be amazing is if someone on here can tell me that they had one break off....and tell me the color they were using!!!  
I had an awesome day!  I'm usually on the ice just as the sun comes up.....maybe I'll have to try this later in the day thing a few more times!
I don't hit EC that often.  I was pleasantly surprised to say the least.
Great report, if you don't mind me asking, what part of the lake were you fishing? It seems the DWR must be stocking less bows in EC but the good thing about that is the ones they are stocking a getting bigger than they have in the past.
Wow! Sounds like a great outing. Glad you found some good ones and thanks for sharing. I an usually a daylight kind of guy (in soft water), but I have seen some weally good outings mid day as well.
(02-06-2023, 07:52 PM)wiperhunter2 Wrote: Great report, if you don't mind me asking, what part of the lake were you fishing? It seems the DWR must be stocking less bows in EC but the good thing about that is the ones they are stocking a getting bigger than they have in the past.

Not sure...but I think it's called Dixie Hollow?
You pass the state park going East - make the turn right to follow the road around the lake....then I parked at the parking lot where I believe they just built a new restroom facility.  (I don't recall seeing it last winter)
The parking lot was not accessible, not plowed, so there were several vehicles just parked along the side of the road.
Last year I would drop down to the water, cross the arm and head towards the boat ramp and fish along the North side roughly where there use to be buoys.  There were no buoys this year.
Not exactly where I was fishing....but Dixie Hollow is close enough Wink
Maybe I should have posted under Premium board.......

*Forgot to mention the other surprise....It didn't cross my mind but as I was coming off the ice I was reminded that the edges (if you step in the right spot) are soft and you can get water in your boot. Glad it happened on the way out, not on the way in.
Thanks for the Great report.  I picked up some healthy rainbows my last fall in the tube in the same area.  

I believe it's called Taylor Hollow.
(02-06-2023, 10:49 PM)gofish435 Wrote: Thanks for the Great report.  I picked up some healthy rainbows my last fall in the tube in the same area.  

I believe it's called Taylor Hollow.

Taylor Hollow is farther down (south) the lake.  I use to fish there but don't like the climb out after a long day.

[Image: EC-map.png]
Your right.  

I didn't know there was more than one Hollow. Big Grin
So, has anyone tried for the Crappie at East Canyon ???
(02-07-2023, 08:45 PM)Therapist Wrote: So, has anyone tried for the Crappie at East Canyon ???

I've read a couple reports of members catching them during the Summer but never in the Winter. I'd imagine they could be caught if you can find them but there just aren't as many in EC as there are in places like Pineview, so they will be harder to fine, imo.