Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Bear Lake - Tues 2/7/23
Fished BL today.  The ice is significantly thicker and growing since there is no snow on it and it is exposed to cold nighttime temps.  It was 5-7" today and there were several snowmobiles out on the rockpile and east side too.  Wish I could say it was as hot it was a week ago, but it wasn't.  We all caught fish and I think I knew everyone on the rockpile today and there were about 20 people out there.  We ended up with several nice whitefish (who were dinner guests this evening), a couple of cutts and we lost several (too many) other trout.  We had a couple of really big fish on but just couldn't get them up the hole.  We had our best luck in 68-69' but caught the WF in about 38' right on top the pile.  Ice is in good shape, even though I've heard some rookies whining about pressure cracks.  The parking situation at the public access on 250 E. Loop Road is a bit challenging.  Right at the bottom of the ramp people are trying to drive around the ice/water and they are getting stuck/high centered. The water is about 12" deep, but its a hard, sandy bottom so just go through the middle and keep your momentum and it won't be an issue.  I understand that Garden City may try to fill this a bit with road base, but it wasn't done today.  You could also pay $5 at Ideal Beach Resort for parking, but they don't open to 8:00 am or so.  One guy was high centered so we parked back on the edge of 250 E. Loop and hoofed it the entire way.  Not sure how he got out but he did.  There were 6-8 trucks that had already went down on the beach and parked, so I'm glad he didn't trap anyone on the lakeshore.  I never put my jacket on today since it was so sunny and calm.  Great day, great friends, and decent fishing!  What more could you ask for.  Oh......the whitefish were great for dinner too!
Sounds like fun, appreciate all the details so we know what to do when we make it back... Jeff
When things get stressful think I'll go fish'en and worry about it tomorrow!
Great report Scott. You said, "public access on 250 E. Loop Road is a bit challenging.  Right at the bottom of the ramp", is this ramp you are talking about new or is it a dirt ramp?
(02-08-2023, 12:31 AM)BearLakeFishGuy Wrote: Fished BL today.  The ice is significantly thicker and growing since there is no snow on it and it is exposed to cold nighttime temps.  It was 5-7" today and there were several snowmobiles out on the rockpile and east side too.  Wish I could say it was as hot it was a week ago, but it wasn't.  We all caught fish and I think I knew everyone on the rockpile today and there were about 20 people out there.  We ended up with several nice whitefish (who were dinner guests this evening), a couple of cutts and we lost several (too many) other trout.  We had a couple of really big fish on but just couldn't get them up the hole.  We had our best luck in 68-69' but caught the WF in about 38' right on top the pile.  Ice is in good shape, even though I've heard some rookies whining about pressure cracks.  The parking situation at the public access on 250 E. Loop Road is a bit challenging.  Right at the bottom of the ramp people are trying to drive around the ice/water and they are getting stuck/high centered. The water is about 12" deep, but its a hard, sandy bottom so just go through the middle and keep your momentum and it won't be an issue.  I understand that Garden City may try to fill this a bit with road base, but it wasn't done today.  You could also pay $5 at Ideal Beach Resort for parking, but they don't open to 8:00 am or so.  One guy was high centered so we parked back on the edge of 250 E. Loop and hoofed it the entire way.  Not sure how he got out but he did.  There were 6-8 trucks that had already went down on the beach and parked, so I'm glad he didn't trap anyone on the lakeshore.  I never put my jacket on today since it was so sunny and calm.  Great day, great friends, and decent fishing!  What more could you ask for.  Oh......the whitefish were great for dinner too!

Great report, I'm new to BFT so I'm still learning stuff. Thanks, always loved big blue. (Bearlake)
I went out to big blue yesterday. Ton of people on the beach and parking was at a premium. If you head out to the lake. Get there early. because the parking will suck. 4WD is essential, because some of the snow will melt leaving a mud bog at the bottom of the hill and you might need it to park and get out of your parking spot.

Fishing for trout was very slow for most anglers on the rock pile that I talked too. A lot experienced the trout looking at the lure and not biting. Whether it was a dead stick or a jig, the trout were not hungry other than a select few.

Those that wanted to catch Whitefish on the rock pile had more luck. No size to the whitefish though.

I fished for trout for a few hours and then ended with a bunch whitefish and a cisco.

1/16 oz White curly tail jig with a gulp wax worm was the winning combo. I caught on a buckshot spoon, but the jig was the ticket.

The bites were light and came from bouncing the jig on the rocks in a slow raise and fall. If you jigged too fast, they would not hit it. A nice and slow raise and fall. Hits came on the raise and fall. The speed was the most important thing.
(02-11-2023, 09:23 PM)AJBwheat1222 Wrote: Great report, I'm new to BFT so I'm still learning stuff. Thanks, always loved big blue. (Bearlake)

Welcome to the site, do you fish BL much?
(02-13-2023, 01:24 AM)wiperhunter2 Wrote:
(02-11-2023, 09:23 PM)AJBwheat1222 Wrote: Great report, I'm new to BFT so I'm still learning stuff. Thanks, always loved big blue. (Bearlake)

We mostly have fish it in a boat but haven't mastered the trolling of it, being so big. The last few years we have been hitting more of other Ut. lakes but I want to figure out a better way of Fish On! On the Big Blue.
(02-13-2023, 11:38 AM)AJBwheat1222 Wrote:

We mostly have fish it in a boat but haven't mastered the trolling of it, being so big. The last few years we have been hitting more of other Ut. lakes but I want to figure out a better way of Fish On! On the Big Blue.
Big Blue is a beautiful lake but unless you hit it on a good day it can be tough. We have had 20 fish days up there but in most cases if we catch one or two that is the norm but that's after fishing there for 30 years. IMO the lake is more seasonal, with the time around now, right after the cisco spawn being the best time to fish it for numbers. We also use to do good there in the early to late Fall, Sept to Nov.
Do people catch cisco on hook and line? If so, how, and when?
The older I get the more I would rather be considered a good man than a good fisherman.

(02-13-2023, 02:40 PM)wiperhunter2 Wrote:
(02-13-2023, 11:38 AM)AJBwheat1222 Wrote:

Big Blue is a beautiful lake but unless you hit it on a good day it can be tough. We have had 20 fish days up there but in most cases if we catch one or two that is the norm but that's after fishing there for 30 years. IMO the lake is more seasonal, with the time around now, right after the cisco spawn being the best time to fish it for numbers. We also use to do good there in the early to late Fall, Sept to Nov.
Thanks, the middle of the summer and when the big waves pick up, mostly catch the sea sickness monster Sick  BL is like having a piece of inland ocean. It would be an adventure to build a yellow submarine and do a deep dive Idea
(02-13-2023, 09:22 PM)catchinon Wrote: Do people catch cisco on hook and line? If so, how, and when?

Not sure how often anyone catches cisco on a hook and line, unless it snagged, which is how most are caught while jigging for them. That season is about over now but it maining happens during their spawn. We use to do it all the time when we could get our boats out during the spawn but those that are ice fishing are catching them now.
Hey Craig I got 4 cisco last Friday on the pile, two tried to take it so I hooked them in the mouth, the other two were snagged one in the tail, one in the belly... They are still there and active in between whitefish... Problem is if you get messing around with whitefish and cisco, you don't catch the trout... I'm guilty of liking to play with whatever is biting best... Later J
When things get stressful think I'll go fish'en and worry about it tomorrow!
Fished Saturday - lots of folks in popular spots but could separate will a little sled dragging.  Started at 75 fow which and caught a mac on first drop, 7am.  Several more fish came through but didn't want to dance.  A buddy caught a mac dead sticking after fish appeared on graph around 8am.  Then slow.  Moved to 85 fow and found a few more fish in the mud, hooked up once at 11am but came unbuttoned first series of head shakes.  Tube jigs.  Solid 7" of ice.
(02-14-2023, 03:21 PM)solopaddle Wrote: Fished Saturday - lots of folks in popular spots but could separate will a little sled dragging.  Started at 75 fow which and caught a mac on first drop, 7am.  Several more fish came through but didn't want to dance.  A buddy caught a mac dead sticking after fish appeared on graph around 8am.  Then slow.  Moved to 85 fow and found a few more fish in the mud, hooked up once at 11am but came unbuttoned first series of head shakes.  Tube jigs.  Solid 7" of ice.

Thanks for the report, good to hear you were able to get up there and hook some fish, how long was the one you got in? How was the parking?
(02-13-2023, 09:22 PM)catchinon Wrote: Do people catch cisco on hook and line? If so, how, and when?

I know guys who catch them on small flies and jigs when they are cruising in shallow.  Not sure whether they strike out of hunger, anger, lust or curiosity. 

I have caught a grundle of cisco under the ice...on the rock pile...fishing a white jigging spoon with red treble hooks.  It was a fun discovery to drop that down, place the rod in a holder and watch the rod tip vibrating as the cisco swarmed around the lure and attacking it.  It was usually only a short time until one of them either got one of the treble hook points in its mouth...or got itself snagged by rolling up against the hook just right.  Here is a picture.  Made up several different sizes and colors...all with red trebles...and most of them worked.  I think the red treble is the main attractant.
[Image: RED-TREBLES-RULE.jpg]

Another picture of an "experimental" cisco jigging spoon I made for another guy who theorized that the ciscos swarmed lures that resembled ciscos in an effort to stimulate them to spawn.  Turned out to be another one of those great idea lures that looked better to the fisherman than to the fish.
[Image: CISCO-SLUT.jpg]

(02-14-2023, 11:38 PM)wiperhunter2 Wrote:
(02-14-2023, 03:21 PM)solopaddle Wrote: Fished Saturday - lots of folks in popular spots but could separate will a little sled dragging.  Started at 75 fow which and caught a mac on first drop, 7am.  Several more fish came through but didn't want to dance.  A buddy caught a mac dead sticking after fish appeared on graph around 8am.  Then slow.  Moved to 85 fow and found a few more fish in the mud, hooked up once at 11am but came unbuttoned first series of head shakes.  Tube jigs.  Solid 7" of ice.

Thanks for the report, good to hear you were able to get up there and hook some fish, how long was the one you got in? How was the parking?

27" and my buddies was 32".  parking was like game day in a college town. we were first truck in at 6:15 but spots looked full up by 8.
(02-15-2023, 03:00 PM)solopaddle Wrote:
(02-14-2023, 11:38 PM)wiperhunter2 Wrote:

27" and my buddies was 32".  parking was like game day in a college town. we were first truck in at 6:15 but spots looked full up by 8.

Nice, good sized macks. Sounds like you got there at a good time, to avoid the rush for parking.
Cisco Slut....
Maybe she was TOO easy looking....
(02-16-2023, 05:55 PM)joshomaru Wrote: Cisco Slut....
Maybe she was TOO easy looking....

Definitely looked like a "hooker".

Here are a couple of other failed experiments.  (Sorry about the high...Jack)

[Image: DOLLY-FLY.jpg]  [Image: SUCKER-FLY.jpg]