Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Summer 2023 Fly Trip - Help, Need Ideas
I'm looking to put together a fly fishing trip this summer...maybe Aug/Sep....but there are a few restrictions.
Mostly - I'm trying to make it all out of the back of the truck.....so locations need to be where the river is close to camp and camping is allowed.  
I've got a friend with limited mobility....is usually good for 2-3 hours standing in the river but then needs an hour break before getting back to it.  Has bad feet and back.
I'd like to hit maybe three to four different locations.
Prefer rivers to be Provo/Weber in size but not real picky.  
Does anyone have any thoughts or ideas on where to go?
Originally was thinking Central or Northern Utah....but honestly if the fishing is decent and the camping is good.....even MT, ID, and WY would be an option.  Heck...why not SD, ND or OR?  I'm up for a drive if its worth it.

Thanks in advance!
If you want a change of pace from Utah, I always enjoyed the headwaters of the Green River in the Wing River Range of Wyoming. Lots of camping. For that matter, any of the rivers/streams of the wind river range have treated me well.
Remember: keep the lid on the worms, share your jerky, and stop by to say hi to Cookie and the Cowboy-Pirate crew
The Grey's river above PaliSades out of Alpine WY. Only fished it once but was a good day lots of camping with good access along the road. Also another area on the Green in WY is above Warren Bridge South of Bondurant.
Blacksmith's Fork has camping right along the river. Puts you in close proximity to the Logan river as well.
Drive to British Colombia...check out the area around Terrace or Kitimat! That's what I would do if I had the time.

For something closer, head south! Try some of the streams in southern Utah--East Fork of Sevier, Sevier near Hatch, Otter Creek, UM Creek, Fremont River, Clear Creek. Lots of smaller streams but excellent options.
Ham's Fork outside of Kemmerer WY was always a blast...big fish! We used to kill it in the 90's there, red san juans were the golden ticket for us. Haven't fished it in 20 yrs though.
(02-15-2023, 10:39 PM)rgreenland Wrote: I'm looking to put together a fly fishing trip this summer...maybe Aug/Sep....but there are a few restrictions.
Mostly - I'm trying to make it all out of the back of the truck.....so locations need to be where the river is close to camp and camping is allowed.  
I've got a friend with limited mobility....is usually good for 2-3 hours standing in the river but then needs an hour break before getting back to it.  Has bad feet and back.
I'd like to hit maybe three to four different locations.
Prefer rivers to be Provo/Weber in size but not real picky.  
Does anyone have any thoughts or ideas on where to go?
Originally was thinking Central or Northern Utah....but honestly if the fishing is decent and the camping is good.....even MT, ID, and WY would be an option.  Heck...why not SD, ND or OR?  I'm up for a drive if its worth it.

Thanks in advance!

Carp on the fly in Blackfoot Reservoir and smallmouth, carp, and trout in the Snake River near Massacre Rocks is some good fun with good camping if you think you might like southern Idaho. Summertime is for warmwater fish at least for me haha. 

In Utah, there aren't really any Provo/Weber sized rivers aside from those two so that might make Utah a difficult destination in my opinion.
(02-16-2023, 06:50 PM)richyd4u Wrote: Ham's Fork outside of Kemmerer WY was always a blast...big fish! We used to kill it in the 90's there, red san juans were the golden ticket for us. Haven't fished it in 20 yrs though.

Like many places- its a you should have been here 20 yrs ago.
(02-16-2023, 01:12 PM)kawamasu Wrote: The Grey's river above PaliSades out of Alpine WY. Only fished it once but was a good day lots of camping with good access along the road. Also another area on the Green in WY is above Warren Bridge South of Bondurant.

I'll second the Greys. Good fishing and camping along most of its 60 mile length. Access is pretty easy along most of it. Mid August on can see some overnight temperatures below freezing.
(02-16-2023, 01:12 PM)kawamasu Wrote: The Grey's river above PaliSades out of Alpine WY. Only fished it once but was a good day lots of camping with good access along the road. Also another area on the Green in WY is above Warren Bridge South of Bondurant.

Thanks for reminding me about Grey's!  I forgot that about 20 years ago I took a drive and an overnighter along that river and remember thinking I'd like to go back someday and fish it for a while!
I think I've found my trip.
Thanks again!